Do you think my hardware can handle NS2?

jpmonettejpmonette Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155584Members
Hi,

I was wondering if my laptop can handle NS2:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2.0 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB DDR3
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is there gonna be a free beta or a small client to benchmark our computer for NS2? (You know, like the small benchmark inside the old Half-Life: Source)

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    I have an i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz with a GTX 570 and I start the game out with 80FPS and drop down to 50-55FPS towards the end. I'll let you decide if you think you can play the game in it's current state but my opinion is that you wouldn't find it very enjoyable due to performance hitches.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think your probably just under the min system requirements (see bottom of <a href="http://www.naturalselection2.com/" target="_blank">naturalselection2.com</a>). That doesn't mean you won't be able to play NS2 (my laptop with worse specs does play the current beta), however you will likely have performance issues (e.g. 10-30 fps on average range with drops in the sub-10fps area). Still, NS2 can still be fun under those conditions and I've definitely had great games running it on my laptop.
  • mf-mf- Join Date: 2008-06-17 Member: 64463Members
    Play commander... it will be the only thing you can do.
  • jpmonettejpmonette Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155584Members
    But am I good to play with low graphics at a decent FPS?

Also, like I mentionned, is there any way to benchmark it with the engine? It would be an awesome future for potential sales.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Unsure which mobile-model i7 you have exactly, but if it really runs at 2.0GHz during full-speed, the CPU-bottleneck will simply be too great to get any kind of decent FPS, regardless of the graphics-settings. Unfortunately there is no (tech)demo at this time.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited August 2012
    this might also be interesting:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119506" target="_blank">The Official Benchmarks Thread</a>

as a side note, one dev mentioned that the fps issues are caused by network choke resulting in a lot of frames being predicted (=computed) on client side. so the performance could still improve quite a bit imo.