Custom Maps

NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
I have a question. Two times today I have tried to join a server with custom maps that I have not downloaded. In NS1 the maps would download. Sure it might take a long time, but it happened. Does the same happen in NS2? I can't tell, because there is no progress bar, and because the spinning circle stops spinning. Or do I have to download the map before I join the server?

Thanks.

Comments

• ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1961212:date=Aug 12 2012, 05:10 AM:name=NolSinkler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NolSinkler @ Aug 12 2012, 05:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961212"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a question. Two times today I have tried to join a server with custom maps that I have not downloaded. In NS1 the maps would download. Sure it might take a long time, but it happened. Does the same happen in NS2? I can't tell, because there is no progress bar, and because the spinning circle stops spinning. Or do I have to download the map before I join the server?

Thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All maps on the server that are on the Workshop will begin and finish downloading before your connection starts to actually load the current map that's active. Check your console for progress :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If the files are setup properly, the short answer is yes, it will automatically download it to your client.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    Alright. Well every time I have joined the servers (which have been the All-In servers), the spinning circle at the bottom right stops spinning and the games freeze. Do you have any ideas what could be set up incorrectly so as to prevent these maps from loading properly or from having been downloaded?
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    At the moment it appears that the Workshop is having issues on Valves end. Did you try looking in the console to see what the loading is trying to do?
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    Well my game freezes when I join a server with a custom map.
    In that case yeah, probably the workshop being a bit dead at the moment, it started happening a few hours ago.
    I'm sad. I saw NS2_Tanith being played. I want.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <a href="http://www.duplexgaming.co.uk/downloads/maps/" target="_blank">http://www.duplexgaming.co.uk/downloads/maps/</a>
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Are you subscribed to the maps in steam workshop? You need to do this first before you will be able to download the map.

Alternatively download from Duplex :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1963544:date=Aug 15 2012, 09:54 AM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Aug 15 2012, 09:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you subscribed to the maps in steam workshop? You need to do this first before you will be able to download the map.

Alternatively download from Duplex :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You don't need to subscribe to the maps to download them (the server tells your client to download them when you join). However, if you are having trouble joining servers with custom maps, you may want to subscribe and download the map before joining.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    So wait, auto map downloading from servers is now in? When did this happen?
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1964480:date=Aug 17 2012, 12:39 PM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Aug 17 2012, 12:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So wait, auto map downloading from servers is now in? When did this happen?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Basically, yes. Though its a bit different from your traditional server downloading. The server specifies which custom map their running and directs you to download it from Steam Workshop. However, its still a bit buggy, such that when you join a server, it forces you to download all of the custom maps they are running at once (rather than when you need them).

Edit: Also, its technically been in since <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118717" target="_blank">B210</a>, but it broke along the way. Its also a bit of a hassle getting it to work on the server side, but its totally doable (steps <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118717&view=findpost&p=1962991" target="_blank">here</a>).
    Ah ok, so it only works if the map is already uploaded to the steam workshop. Kind of like the old URL redirects on HL servers :)

I didn't even know this option was in to be fair, thanks for that :)