How many NS1 players are satisfied with NS2?

Comments

• playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957873:date=Aug 5 2012, 09:42 PM:name=DrFlammable)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrFlammable @ Aug 5 2012, 09:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not really but i'm pretty jaded towards preferring old competitive games with good engines. the farther away we get from the quake 1 engine and goldsrc the more i weep. it's unrealistic to expect anyone to emulate the golden era of competitive fps engines, so i'll probably still play for awhile to come.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I hear ya. Recently played through Quake 1 (Darkplaces) again. God it was so tight and fast, words cannot even begin to describe.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Im pretty interested in what this internal balance team is now, since its the first time I have ever heard of anything...

But mainly for me I still think performance on release will not be enough, nor will it be enough for me to consider working on NS:Spark. And as others have said all the old NS1 players that I know will not play NS2, and those are all people that have bought NS2, some even multiple copies (like myself). My other biggest gripe with this game is the community, and that is becoming more and more a problem for me every day.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957876:date=Aug 5 2012, 11:50 PM:name=Saj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Saj @ Aug 5 2012, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm so glad they didnt use the source engine<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know. Theres a good chance that we would have good performance, hitreg and netcode now, if they did.

<!--quoteo(post=1957871:date=Aug 5 2012, 11:38 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Aug 5 2012, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957871"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My thoughts were that it was going to be an improved NS1. But there were too many changes to the game that has altered the flow of the game and the gameplay (some good and some bad), but areas that were affected because of those changes that needs to be changed as well but left untouched, well, you have a jumbled mess that is NS2. Bandage fixes everywhere the eye can see has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Ignored feedback and wasting time on changes that the community said wasn't going to work (and they didn't work) has been an issue as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True.
  • StandingCowStandingCow Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10187Members, Constellation
    Still keeping an eye on this game... last time I played it was pretty laggy (few months ago). Every now and then I drop back in to see how much they have accomplished.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957861:date=Aug 5 2012, 05:27 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 5 2012, 05:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*edit* you're neglecting all the feedback from playtesters, players, and other devs that went into making ns1. the first halloween release of ns1 was buggy as hell. i don't think he's lost his creativity, it just feels like he's trying to cram in a bunch of mechanics that are unproven or proven bad (like infestation spikes, nanoconstruct/nanoshield, etc) to try and differentiate ns2 from the original. also i don't think he's ever been great at initial balance considerations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

Charlie is clearly wary of NS1 in many ways. I think that it's ok to have issues with NS1, but it does seem like looking a gift horse in the mouth sometimes. He will get NS2 to a great state because of his work ethic and ability to take feedback, even if over a long frame of time. We could have saved time early on, getting NS1 vanilla up and running on Spark.

As someone mentioned, it's beating a dead horse now, though.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957617:date=Aug 5 2012, 10:21 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Aug 5 2012, 10:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe a more interesting view on the question:

How would have you done NS2 ? That would have been your plan in term of gameplay, graphics, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's an easy one. I'm not even the type that wants a total NS1 copy but the obvious design choice in order to get things right and build a strong playerbase early was to port ns1 to source with updated graphics as the alpha, and work your way up with changes and additions to the game. This is especially true since most people that know ns aren't familiar with ns 3.2 so it already would have been a new game to them. That would have easily avoided the performance, hitreg, movement, balanace, and visual issues of everything looking the same color.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957921:date=Aug 5 2012, 04:11 PM:name=Pyromaniac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pyromaniac @ Aug 5 2012, 04:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's an easy one. I'm not even the type that wants a total NS1 copy but the obvious design choice in order to get things right and build a strong playerbase early was to port ns1 to source with updated graphics as the alpha, and work your way up with changes and additions to the game. This is especially true since most people that know ns aren't familiar with ns 3.2 so it already would have been a new game to them. That would have easily avoided the performance, hitreg, movement, balanace, and visual issues of everything looking the same color.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What if all these new ideas implemented into NS2 were intended for NS1 but decided to hold them off for the sequel or maybe because gold source or whatever the HL engine is called couldn't handle such radical ideas :) So it was gonna happen one way or another.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    they're too radical for this engine too. *lowblow*
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    Considering current development stage and the release date, it is apparent that the game will not satify many hardcore NS1 fans or change drastically to do so. It is time to accept NS2 as what it is now and, unless someone develops a mod that will satiate our needs, it will just become another game that didn't live up to our expectation. However, I'd also like to say that I feel somewhat unfairly treated by UWE because of the way they showed little respect to NS1 and its players in the development process. From my perspective, UWE simply threw out a large portion of firmly established avid fan base right out of the window and NS2 will have to suffer through it by having to start from the ground up. Just remember that these fans, who donated to consties and bought the game before alpha purely out of appreciation of NS1, served as a major driving force for UWE to come this far.
  • Jonp_11Jonp_11 Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20161Members
    edited August 2012
    I'm having a blast with the game so far. I haven't played enough to say power nodes or infestation are bad for gameplay, so far they seem like really cool additions. I've seen some balance issues with aliens but it's hard to judge the overall balance when marines don't have exo-suits yet. I love the textures on the models and the general atmosphere with all the dynamic lighting. All the current maps are really fun and cool looking, but I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the original remakes! Also, Max did an amazing job with the spark engine and I hope to see it optimized enough to allow a lot of people to play.

One last thing, the game is so easy to mod that someone could make an NS1 "Classic" mod if they really wanted. I don't get why some people get so stuck on having a pure remake of the original. I wouldn't mind playing an NS1 HD, but it's not a massive issue for me.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1957966:date=Aug 5 2012, 11:20 PM:name=MzMz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MzMz @ Aug 5 2012, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering current development stage and the release date, it is apparent that the game will not satify many hardcore NS1 fans or change drastically to do so. It is time to accept NS2 as what it is now and, unless someone develops a mod that will satiate our needs, it will just become another game that didn't live up to our expectation. However, I'd also like to say that I feel somewhat unfairly treated by UWE because of the way they showed little respect to NS1 and its players in the development process. From my perspective, UWE simply threw out a large portion of firmly established avid fan base right out of the window and NS2 will have to suffer through it by having to start from the ground up. Just remember that these fans, who donated to consties and bought the game before alpha purely out of appreciation of NS1, served as a major driving force for UWE to come this far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably 80% of NS2 is a direct or slightly modified port of NS1. It seems rather melodramatic to say the developers didn't respect NS1 or veterans.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957964:date=Aug 5 2012, 11:03 PM:name=CobraCommander)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CobraCommander @ Aug 5 2012, 11:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What if all these new ideas implemented into NS2 were intended for NS1 but decided to hold them off for the sequel or maybe because gold source or whatever the HL engine is called couldn't handle such radical ideas :) So it was gonna happen one way or another.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The difference is that starting with a highly playable and balanced foundation allows for people to see how changes will affect the game and allows for the shortcomings to be more obvious, so the changes wouldn't have all been implemented.

The same goes for playing the game you develop. I understand that most of the developers don't have the time to play the game to gather a very good understanding and feedback of how it plays, but flayra really shouldn't have hired his biggest fan for that role.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1958000:date=Aug 5 2012, 11:25 PM:name=Pyromaniac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pyromaniac @ Aug 5 2012, 11:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The difference is that starting with a highly playable and balanced foundation allows for people to see how changes will affect the game and allows for the shortcomings to be more obvious, so the changes wouldn't have all been implemented.

The same goes for playing the game you develop. I understand that most of the developers don't have the time to play the game to gather a very good understanding and feedback of how it plays, but flayra really shouldn't have hired his biggest fan for that role.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're right about that!! Also I was saying the same thing in another thread the dev probably doesn't play the game enough, but be patient and wait until 1.0 so hopefully they take a small break from developing if everything is ok and only play the game 24/7 for awhile and then get back to work because they're our sla- I mean beloved devs once again after that.

I want more <b>features</b> as cool as the exosuit, <b>bug fixes</b>, <b>customization options</b>, way more <b>balance fixes</b>, more <b>optimization</b> until it runs 1000%, and lastly I want more <b>unique Maps</b>!

Hehehehehehehehe >) No DLC 6 months later b.s. unless it's a huge expansion after giving players lots of great additions and love! Lots of loving.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    I am not sure where this idea is coming from that the developers should have remade NS1 on a new engine and then slowly implemented changes from there, they didn't want to make a remake they wanted to make a sequel. How many other sequels were made in this fashion? I can't claim to be an expert on the subject but I am thinking the number is few to none. It is a huge waste of resources to essentially make the game twice. It is easy to say in hindsight that they have wasted a ton of time anyways trying new ideas that didn't work out and then reverting to old ones but the 'solution' presented would never happen.

But I also hated the final versions of NS1 and stopped playing because of it so I am glad UWE made the changes they did, I am not happy with everything but as a whole I perfer NS2 over NS1v3.0+

*forgot a word in there
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I find that some of the negative comments in this thread is a bit unfair. It seems like some people believe they were promised pure gold, with an option for extra ponies. As I understand the UWE team, they decided to make a sequel to NS1, and in doing so, they decided on a number of things, one of them was to build their own engine. As some say, maybe this was a bit optimistic, and another approach was to do a safer and tested upgrade of NS1. But I'm pretty sure that the chosen path is much more interesting and reward for the coders. Sometimes you need to do a few bold things, to get new and exciting results. The whole concept of mixed genres is to me a good example of a bold thought, that paid off.

I really like the new infestation, and the powernodes. The problems I have seen is not really with the concept, but more a pathing issue, or maybe a mapping issue. I find it a good thing that killing the cysts or powernodes of the opposing team is a viable strategy. It much more clearly defines map control, which adds to the rts part, and makes it more than a fps game with some guy shouting commands.

The changes to gorge / alien comm also makes sense. I think in many ways it makes the alien side feel more like a team. It has more of a hivemind thing going than ns1, and I like that change.

I have still to see the exosuit, and how the balance will look after they have been added. But the games I play right now can be won by both sides. It's not totally imbalanced, and while the marine side seems to require more teamplay, I'm still having a good time, and enjoy playing NS2.

I think most people would like their games to have more and better features, and run on less hardware displaying everything in crystal clear quality, but in it's current stae this game is enjoyable, and I feel that at the end of the day, that's what matters.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    NS1 will always be better, but I am satisfied with NS2.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got more than I ever paid for compared to 99% of companies, I can't complain. UWE just requires a lot more patience in the grand scale of things, because they are working on something infinitely more complex than a mod and they are an independent team.

Can't wait for the EXO vid and 1.0 release and all following improvements that UWE are looking to do. Once this game has been optimised and is feature complete, they will really be able to concentrate on building on top of something complete, just as NS1 did when it started out.

Keep your heads up guys, you are doing amazing things!
  • vadorvador Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23682Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    I like NS2 but the waiting is too long.... I played NS1 since the alpha and now i play NS2 but i'm disapointed. So many things to change, like gorge abalities (clog are useless and 3 hydras...) and spark engine improvment to be smoothy on more PC gamer. I'm still playing NS2 because i love the univers and the atmosphere but it's time to do more. What about exosuite, HMG ? aliens tweak ? and the most important for me <b>"Does the Dynamic Infestation in 3D disapear ? "</b> . There's just one video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnaJLk8MhL4) with a demonstration but it was in 2006 so what's happen right now ?

The waiting is over and it's time to release the game but with more tunning..
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The community voiced out together that UWE doesn't do the right things. They lined up together, and say that UWE don't hear their opinion. Not realizing, that there is no one opinion. Look at all the other threads. Everyone thinks he knows best, but all together think UWE knows nothing. The question asked in this whole thread is in reality: Do you think, that UWEs opinion / decisions are better than yours?

But anyway... I have played NS1 and NS2 both quite a while but not competitive. I hated NS1 for the games where you could predict the outcome, but the game dragged on ages. I hate it too, when this happens in NS2. But I love both games in general. And I play NS2 as my most played game since 5 or 6 month now and it hasn't stopped to be fun since.

NS1 was never mainstream because you need dedication and intelligence to get good in this game. That was a real problem and got better with NS2. CS doesn't be the most played game, because it was so complex. This said, I understand the changes UWE has made and I'm fine with it. Overall this game is fun. If they fix the performance it will be even more.
  • AsimovAsimov Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73352Members
    I played a ton of NS1 and I am ok with NS2. I might play it here and there but won't put in the same time as NS1 as it stands now. Personally I think the 3 biggest issues are: 1) Performance (Hit Reg). 2) Map Design, I just feel that they are all too small cramped and have to many ways in and out. The old NS1 maps were much better and I think NS2 maps will improve but those we have don't work so well and I think that is a major factor. 3) Let the Gorge build WIPS for rez. Please, please, please, please. I want people to want gorge plushies again!
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    In my personal opinion, NS2 isn't even slightly as bad as some people seem to think. I love NS2 for what it is: NS1 + extra's. Sure, things need fixing. The performance can be super annoying at times and balance needs to be tweaked. But already I've had NS2 games that rivaled or perhaps even surpassed the epic games I've had in NS1.

It's awesome already, going to be even more awesome and will probably remain awesome for quite a long time once it's released.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    It really isn't NS1 + extras. You'd be surprised how much NS2 copies from NS1, but still manages to completely and utterly lack its free-flowing gameplay, not to mention a very low skill-ceiling indeed (in almost every aspect of the game). I've had some amazing NS1-games in my time, so amazing they may never be reproduced in any other game again, and NS2's end-game stalemate lag-fests certainly don't qualify.

As for the forum's schizophrenic opinions on matters of NS2, it's true, pretty much inevatible when you have a large bunch of people each with their own opinions. However, there have been a handful of matters in which there WAS unanimity, and in those situations UWE just chooses to play deaf (take the free-hydra farce for example).
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1958128:date=Aug 6 2012, 03:52 PM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Aug 6 2012, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my personal opinion, NS2 isn't even slightly as bad as some people seem to think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I both agree and disagree. I think it largely depends on which lens you're viewing the game through.

There's one group of players whose impressions are colored by their experiences from NS1.

Then there's an other group of players, who simply ask "do I have fun while playing this game?".

The percentage of disgruntled players is obviously the highest in the first group. Personally, I waft a bit between the two, although you might not think it just by reading my posts on these forums. I generally have fun while playing NS2 and for that I think it is a decent game. On the other hand, I'm constantly reminded of how much better it could be, which frustrates me to no end -- even more so because (some of) the developers seem oblivious to this, even going so far as to make myopic statements like "I think NS2 is better than NS1 in every respect" (paraphrased from a forum post by Flayra).

Unfortunately, all my friends and teammates from NS1 are firmly entrenched in the first group. They play the game for a few hours every once in a while and conclude that it isn't worth their time.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1958137:date=Aug 6 2012, 06:19 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 6 2012, 06:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then there's an other group of players, who simply ask "do I have fun while playing this game?".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not disagreeing with this, but the players that ask themselves "do I have fun playing this game" and move to the next obvious question "what game would I rather play" what do they even try to answer themselves with? I just find NS in such a category of its own, that this puzzles me. I'd love to hear what other games people play. :p Not to derail, but, pffft. ::smoke
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    Well what I miss is more players per server, better client/server performance, and the equivalent of heavy armor/ HMG aka the exo suit :)
    Except that, I think the developers made an excellent job at NS2 :)

And not to mention the face outwards, aka Hugh ! Just brilliant. I looked over the comments from the TotalBuiscuit clips from NS2 and alot of people loved him commentating to it and with such dedication :D
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1958146:date=Aug 6 2012, 05:30 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Aug 6 2012, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958146"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not disagreeing with this, but the players that ask themselves "do I have fun playing this game" and move to the next obvious question "what game would I rather play" what do they even try to answer themselves with? I just find NS in such a category of its own, that this puzzles me. I'd love to hear what other games people play. :p Not to derail, but, pffft. ::smoke<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Competitive point of view would be DotA 2, Starcraft 2, CS:GO or just simply Go if you want to expand beyound video games.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1958146:date=Aug 6 2012, 04:30 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Aug 6 2012, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958146"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not disagreeing with this, but the players that ask themselves "do I have fun playing this game" and move to the next obvious question "what game would I rather play" what do they even try to answer themselves with? I just find NS in such a category of its own, that this puzzles me. I'd love to hear what other games people play. :p Not to derail, but, pffft. ::smoke<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The funny thing about NS2, is that it currently has no competition in the RTS/FPS bracket. For players who find the implications of that particular genre hybrid intriguing (me), there is no alternative.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1958136:date=Aug 6 2012, 05:18 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Aug 6 2012, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It really isn't NS1 + extras. You'd be surprised how much NS2 copies from NS1, but still manages to completely and utterly lack its free-flowing gameplay, not to mention a very low skill-ceiling indeed (in almost every aspect of the game). I've had some amazing NS1-games in my time, so amazing they may never be reproduced in any other game again, and NS2's end-game stalemate lag-fests certainly don't qualify.

As for the forum's schizophrenic opinions on matters of NS2, it's true, pretty much inevatible when you have a large bunch of people each with their own opinions. However, there have been a handful of matters in which there WAS unanimity, and in those situations UWE just chooses to play deaf (take the free-hydra farce for example).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed.

<!--quoteo(post=1958137:date=Aug 6 2012, 05:19 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 6 2012, 05:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I both agree and disagree. I think it largely depends on which lens you're viewing the game through.

There's one group of players whose impressions are colored by their experiences from NS1.

Then there's an other group of players, who simply ask "do I have fun while playing this game?".

The percentage of disgruntled players is obviously the highest in the first group. Personally, I waft a bit between the two, although you might not think it just by reading my posts on these forums. I generally have fun while playing NS2 and for that I think it is a decent game. On the other hand, I'm constantly reminded of how much better it could be, which frustrates me to no end -- even more so because (some of) the developers seem oblivious to this, even going so far as to make myopic statements like "I think NS2 is better than NS1 in every respect" (paraphrased from a forum post by Flayra).

Unfortunately, all my friends and teammates from NS1 are firmly entrenched in the first group. They play the game for a few hours every once in a while and conclude that it isn't worth their time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, NS2 is of course a good game. But compared to NS1, it's just not (yet, I hope..) a worthy successor.

It could be so much better if UWE stopped changing things that have been proven to perfectly work in NS1, for the sole purpose of beeing different.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1958172:date=Aug 6 2012, 04:23 PM:name=Security)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Security @ Aug 6 2012, 04:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Indeed.

Yep, NS2 is of course a good game. But compared to NS1, it's just not (yet, I hope..) a worthy successor.

It could be so much better if UWE stopped changing things that have been proven to perfectly work in NS1, for the sole purpose of beeing different.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or immersion... Game play > Pretty Lights.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1958113:date=Aug 7 2012, 12:27 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Aug 7 2012, 12:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 was never mainstream because you need dedication and intelligence to get good in this game. That was a real problem and got better with NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just to make sure I'm reading that correctly: Is it your opinion that neither intelligence nor dedication should be significant in NS2?