How many NS1 players are satisfied with NS2?

kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
edited August 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
*Edit* here is a poll you can vote <a href="http://poll.pollcode.com/m8w9" target="_blank">http://poll.pollcode.com/m8w9</a>

So the game is coming out in 2months dev's have said its pretty much feature complete the only thing we haven't seen is the heavy but its pretty easy to see how that will fit in with the game...

Ignoring the performance issues are any old school players actually satisfied with NS2 has it lived up to your expectations? Are you pumped enough about the game to encourages others to buy it?

I am personally very unhappy with the game and if I knew this is what it was going to be like I probably would not have bought the game..

Majority of my grips are with the aliens there are some massive game play issues which are game breaking and then there are some things I find way less fun the NS1...

My gripes....

If an alien kills your base power node and you have no welders researched game over regardless of how far ahead u are so your entire existence is based on 1 research item and 1 structure u have no control over...

There is still no way to let aliens move between hives quickly like in NS1 with the teleporting feature, the attempt to fix this problem with celerity was a massive fail this forever will have a major negative impact on alien gameplay..

Aliens can become res locked if you manage to loose all your res nodes with less then 15 res its game over this wasn't the case in NS1 because of RFK and gorge building..

Power nodes powering buildings I find to be an extra level of management which isn't fun or interesting...

Gorge has nothing on his NS1 existence, he is only good at the start of the game and falls off hard. The limit of 3 hydra's really limits the ability for the gorge to lay down defence in spawn to stop ninja attacks and then push forward with his team...

Alien commander is is boring and tedious you feel like your strapped to a chair with a live grenade in your lap unlike the marine commander who's role actually feels like it belongs...

No relocation strategies and free base building for marines makes the gameplay feel stale.

So unfortunately NS2 for me is a disappointment, how do other NS1 players feel?

Comments

• antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    At this very moment I consider NS2 to be superior to NS1 in pretty much every way.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    comparing NS2 to the NS1 experience is a bit unfair, NS2 is still very much in it's infancy.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If an alien kills your base power node and you have no welders researched game over regardless of how far ahead u are so your entire existence is based on 1 research item and 1 structure u have no control over...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can drop welders without having them researched, you do not need to research welders to have them, they come from the commanders pres and you can have several of them at the start at no cost to Tres. This is not an issue as far as I see.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is still no way to let aliens move between hives quickly like in NS1 with the teleporting feature, the attempt to fix this problem with celerity was a massive fail this forever will have a major negative impact on alien gameplay..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They have talked about adding a sort of "nydus" mechanic with the movement hive build, which would make sense, currently I have never had much of a problem getting from hive to hive, there are less monsterously huge maps like in NS1

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens can become res locked if you manage to loose all your res nodes with less then 15 res its game over this wasn't the case in NS1 because of RFK and gorge building..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree with this and just made a thread about it a few mins ago

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Power nodes powering buildings I find to be an extra level of management which isn't fun or interesting...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I strongly disagree, I absolutely love the power node system, I find it fun and interesting and extremely engaging.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge has nothing on his NS1 existence, he is only good at the start of the game and falls off hard. The limit of 3 hydra's really limits the ability for the gorge to lay down defence in spawn to stop ninja attacks and then push forward with his team...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Again I strongly disagree, the inclusion of the clog and the georges ability to speed up RTs and Hive construction makes it invaluable, the Clogs have given the gorge more versatility than they ever had in NS1, and I used to gorge nonstop in NS1, additionally with a smart Alien comm to support, gorges can be extremely powerful defenders. Gernades are intended to prevent turtles for late game, in which the george becomes an invaluable combat medic.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien commander is is boring and tedious you feel like your strapped to a chair with a live grenade in your lap unlike the marine commander who's role actually feels like it belongs...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree, I fully enjoy the alien comm, yes it needs a few more support buttons, but there is alot of strategy to be had with whip/defensive structure placement and working with your gorges to clog and defend key points.,

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No relocation strategies and free base building for marines makes the gameplay feel stale.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a flat out lie, it is common knowledge that a relocation rush to crossroads gives the marines a massive advantage if they can hold it, Yes the possiblities are not quite as endless as NS1, but at the end of the day, there was only ever 1 or 2 viable relocation spots per map. Long story short, there are relocation stats already in game and I have deployed them myself.

With your thread I really question weather or not you have actually played NS2.
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    I really miss the movement mechanics from ns1, it just had it all so much better and I hope that they'll bring them back into ns2 but I guess it's not happening so :( Everything else is fixable but movement as a skulk or as a fade or as a marine just lacks what ns1 had to offer; the real touch how it felt just perfect and the things you could do with it.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    Overall I am happy with the game. There are things I miss from NS1, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy NS2 as well. I think the developers are trying to do away with a lot of the things that caused long stalemates in the previous game, since that can be a turn off for most players. I'm one of those people that loved a good 2 or 3 hour game, but I also understand that in order for this game to be successful mainstream that love has to take a 2nd seat. Or maybe I'm just misreading the general gaming population.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    antacid has addressed everything really. I loved NS1 and love NS2. I stopped playing NS1 for a few years before starting NS2 so cannot make complete comparisons, all I can say is I enjoy them both.

I do hope for some nice siege maps in NS2 soon though. Not sure how they would play out with ARCs, but would be fun to see.
  • MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS1 player here; always will have some gripes here and there but overall I am satisfied with NS2's general direction.
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    most of ns1 competitive players gave up on ns2 and make fun of the game
    (although we all secretly inside want the game to succeed)
  • JerunkJerunk Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9659Members
    I miss marine relocations, and the freedom NS1 had. I miss the larger maps. Miss gorge essentially being the commander. It doesn't feel the same to me, hopefully it will eventually get there.
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Be nice.
    -Align<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957036:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:59 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Aug 4 2012, 11:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->comparing NS2 to the NS1 experience is a bit unfair, NS2 is still very much in it's infancy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not true NS2 is the second version of Natural selection so the very baseline for the game is NS1 so if any aspect is worse then NS1 its actually means the game is going backwards...

<!--quoteo(post=1957038:date=Aug 5 2012, 12:01 AM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 5 2012, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With your thread I really question weather or not you have actually played NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> 164 hours....
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957072:date=Aug 4 2012, 04:43 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 4 2012, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not true NS2 is the second version of Natural selection so the very baseline for the game is NS1 so if any aspect is worse then NS1 its actually means the game is going backwards...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a matter of opinion. I used to play NS1 and i absolutely love NS2. It's been a long time since i last played NS1 and guess what: I like NS2 even more. You need to stop comparing. NS1 was a mod, NS2 is an entire game. So if anything, NS2 is actually the first game.

Once you stop comparing and accept NS2 as a separate game, you will learn to enjoy it to the fullest. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's just that it's already too late making arguments like this. You can either accept NS2 for what it is, or leave the project.
  • JerunkJerunk Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9659Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957077:date=Aug 4 2012, 10:49 AM:name=cake.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cake. @ Aug 4 2012, 10:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a matter of opinion. I used to play NS1 and i absolutely love NS2. It's been a long time since i last played NS1 and guess what: I like NS2 even more. You need to stop comparing. NS1 was a mod, NS2 is an entire game. So if anything, NS2 is actually the first game.

Once you stop comparing and accept NS2 as a separate game, you will learn to enjoy it to the fullest. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's just that it's already too late making arguments like this. You can either accept NS2 for what it is, or leave the project.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The arguments were made years ago. NS2 will always be compared to NS1 by people who played NS1 for years.
    If people like NS1 so much, why don't they play NS1?

I still do, and I don't want NS2 to be an identical clone to NS1, because if it was... then I would just play NS1...
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    If I had to describe NS2 with one word, it'd be 'disappointment'.

- alien comm is somewhat boring because there's little interaction
    - gorge lost a lot of its appeal
    - ruined key experiences of NS, like relocations to anywhere, sneaky PGs, sieging; those might all still be in the game, but have been watered down or are less elegant
    - power nodes, a failed attempt to bring territory control gameplay into NS
    - not even close to the excellent movement feel of the Half-Life engine
    - too many abilities that are blinding, limit movement, drain energy or have other negative impacts on player control

No, I would not buy NS2 again.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957046:date=Aug 4 2012, 04:18 PM:name=supsu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (supsu @ Aug 4 2012, 04:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957046"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really miss the movement mechanics from ns1, it just had it all so much better and I hope that they'll bring them back into ns2 but I guess it's not happening so :( Everything else is fixable but movement as a skulk or as a fade or as a marine just lacks what ns1 had to offer; the real touch how it felt just perfect and the things you could do with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Biggest problems if you ignore the obvious ones.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I loved NS1, I love NS2, every game can be improved, but I feel both NS1 and NS2 are better than many other games I have tried. It's some times since I have played NS1, but I don't really miss much, that I can't see happening in ns2. There was some maps in NS1 that I guess will come back in some version in NS2, and the silly siege maps and the combat version of NS1 was also something fun, I could see being added later on, but I'm not disappointed in a beta version of NS2. If I had this much fun with a retail game, I would still buy it. Many retail finished games have disappointed far more.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1957083:date=Aug 5 2012, 12:56 AM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 5 2012, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If people like NS1 so much, why don't they play NS1?

I still do, and I don't want NS2 to be an identical clone to NS1, because if it was... then I would just play NS1...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cause its dated now....

NS2 doesn't have to be exactly the same but it should still be better then NS1 right now its not better the core game play experience in NS1 was superior for me...
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't like the alien commander, power grid, movement mechanics or res model(res scaling problems needed to be solved, but the current model of personal res and team res with NO interdepence or conversion between them is a cure worse than the disease).
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1957083:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:56 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 4 2012, 11:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If people like NS1 so much, why don't they play NS1?

I still do, and I don't want NS2 to be an identical clone to NS1, because if it was... then I would just play NS1...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No one is asking for identical clone of ns1 or mere graphical overhaul of ns1.
    It was stated that NS2 will be 1/3 same, 1/3 improved, 1/3 new from ns1 but instead
    it feels like 1/5 same (mostly names) 2/5 stripped down (movement, for example)
    2/5 new (which doesn't add any depth for a better gameplay)
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1957049:date=Aug 4 2012, 09:25 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Aug 4 2012, 09:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->antacid has addressed everything really. I loved NS1 and love NS2. I stopped playing NS1 for a few years before starting NS2 so cannot make complete comparisons, all I can say is I enjoy them both.

I do hope for some nice siege maps in NS2 soon though. Not sure how they would play out with ARCs, but would be fun to see.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^pretty much this.

I don't agree with every change made in NS2. I'd love to see gorges be the effective commanders instead of "combat engineers." However, that aside, I am enjoying a brand new game that keeps growing on me. Some people resist change. Haters gonna hate. (not saying those are one and the same, though)
  • kobjaguerkobjaguer Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100088Members
    what i think NS2 is missing is not in the balance wise problems, is that the engine dont carry its weight, even people with powerhouse pc's have fps problems, that makes we have a constant feeling of clumsiness, thing we did not have in ns1.

i wish that UWE took some time even if they have to neglect balance and stectics for some time, that they fix the engine once and for all, as it is now, its either you have a incredible pc or you are bound to not hit a skulk in a whole game (or bite)
  • [R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
    I still have hope that NS2 will continue to change more towards NS1 as it has gradually done over time since the first Alpha. There are several changes that NS1 needed and I like about NS2, but still a lot of things that they changed that I simply cannot agree with and I think are failed redesigns of features that were already working great in NS1. I'd list them but I made a thread months ago outlining every one of them already and I am not one to repeat myself over and over. UWE probably has an idea of what those things are, time will tell if they do anything about it and at which time I will give NS2 another look. Until then I'll just keep checking changelogs and forum posts like this one and keep my fingers crossed because I think NS2 could be great, but broken features keep me from being able to enjoy the game as it currently exists.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited August 2012
    A better way to put it maybe is: "what game play element wasn't in ns1 and is really awesome in ns2?" and "what really good gameplay element was in ns1 and is lacking in ns2?". Another one: "what problems/weakness ns1 had, and have they been solved in ns2?".

For the main new gameplay elements in ns2.

Alien comm: I have mixed feeling about it, it's not really working well. The fundamental reason is that the alien team is class based (the main tech are lifeforms). It's seems very hard to have any kind of strategic depth with the alien comm: abilities are on second hive, so drop hive, research the upgrades.

I don't really like infestation and power nodes for various reasons. But the basic idea is that it's units that should give you territorial control in strategy games. Think of go or chess with powernodes.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If people like NS1 so much, why don't they play NS1?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

New shiny things somehow fascinate humans, they have some kind of attraction and social momentum that makes them desirable. I think it's the main reason why people keep going after new things instead of being satisfied with old ones.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    Hi, im a serious ns1 player, and i am very satisfied with ns2, excitedly looking forward to 1.0.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Ns2 is pretty much stripped of all the good features that were in its predecessor, while (so far) failing to fix any of the problems.
  • plausiblesargeplausiblesarge Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154558Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957028:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:45 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 4 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is still no way to let aliens move between hives quickly like in NS1 with the teleporting feature, the attempt to fix this problem with celerity was a massive fail this forever will have a major negative impact on alien gameplay..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree this would be nice. I faliens were able to relocate through hives in a similar manner to how marines go through phase gates, not only would it allow you to move around more, but it would make having a 4th hive more than just a backup hive.

<!--quoteo(post=1957028:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:45 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 4 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens can become res locked if you manage to loose all your res nodes with less then 15 res its game over this wasn't the case in NS1 because of RFK and gorge building..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Realistically this will probably be fixed before release. Some logic errors like this crop up in many games from time to time, and are usually fixed in a patch.

<!--quoteo(post=1957028:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:45 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 4 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Power nodes powering buildings I find to be an extra level of management which isn't fun or interesting...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See the thread in the Ideas and Suggestions forum. This issue is discussed in detail there.

<!--quoteo(post=1957028:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:45 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 4 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge has nothing on his NS1 existence, he is only good at the start of the game and falls off hard. The limit of 3 hydra's really limits the ability for the gorge to lay down defence in spawn to stop ninja attacks and then push forward with his team...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hopefully the devs will give the gorge more structures or something

<!--quoteo(post=1957028:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:45 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Aug 4 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien commander is is boring and tedious you feel like your strapped to a chair with a live grenade in your lap unlike the marine commander who's role actually feels like it belongs...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both commanders suffer the same problem, although the problem is lessened for the marine commander because of support drops. By the end of the game, often both commanders are twiddling their thumbs with hundreds of Tres to spend and nothing to spend it on. I hope that eventually they implement more late-game options or units which will help to drain the Tres for each team. Maybe a new commander-controlled unit of some sort. Marines already have ARCs, aliens dont really have anything. this would keep the commander more involved during battles, especially on the alien side.
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    I really hate how gorges cannot drop res towers or the defensive structures like crag/shade.

I think the alien commander should focus more on upgrades/hive dropping/creep spread and issuing commands, while gorges can drop res towers and the 3 defense structures but not the upgrade structures.
  • malthusmalthus Join Date: 2012-07-28 Member: 154399Members
    NS2 seems more fun then number 1 in every way. atm i just am hoping for alot of work on performance, i can play crysis 2 smooth as. ns2 not so much.

other then that, alot of small things:

Marine end game lacking fun,protect as many res as you can till arc train is the (best way to win).
    prior to an arc train with 3/3 jetpacked flamethrowing marines, aliens have a stronger mid game. (generally 1-2 good fades can take on lvl 3 weapons, and lurks cant die unless marines are stacked or the lerk screws up).

Skulk animations sometimes annoy me, but this is a me problem :).

teeth/gun animations are 300% less annoying, still wish i could turn them off.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    I do miss NS1 (there haven't been any Australian servers for it for at least two years as far as I know), and I prefer some of its mechanics (and its fluidity) over their NS2 counterparts, but I'm content to let NS2 diverge from it even so, at least within reason. Besides, if engine performance improves enough to make it viable, I have no doubt that a fully functional NS1 Classic mod will be available by the time of the 1.0 release.