Marine Communications

KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Who's that guy near you?</div>Problem: I want to know who's near me and I want to be able to talk to them in isolation to the rest of the marine team.
Suggestion: Show on my HUD the names of marines in the same zone as me. Could order by distance, maybe only show up to 3 marines. Have a second push-to-talk button that broadcasts only to those marines. Show on the HUD when somebody is talking locally.

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    totally agree! except you should be able to talk to everyone, I would just love to see some visual indicator of who is my area.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just make it into two different keys
    - key1 = Local voice chat
    - key2 = Team voice chat
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1945297:date=Jun 20 2012, 03:12 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jun 20 2012, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945297"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just make it into two different keys
    - key1 = Local voice chat
    - key2 = Team voice chat<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 Sometimes there is too much chatter going on, and it's nicer for when you want to say look out behind you and not have to worry about the entire team turning around.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    +1

I hate it when people say things like; "Why are you going that way?" or "Look out behind you!"

So I just turn around and go the other way, because he must be talking to me right? lol
  • [HEI] Spade[HEI] Spade Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151223Members, Squad Five Blue
    +1 excellent idea!
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think this is a great idea also, i wonder how easy it would be to impliment?
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    Ooh, and you could add a high-pass audio filter on the global teamspeak (stormtrooper style - over the comm, as it were) with a bit of static and hiss to show you're on the radio, and regular for local communication. That alone might work to differentiate whether it's local or global communication, at least for marines. Perhaps in the asymmetrical nature of the game, aliens only get global communication (ie., hivemind)?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Interesting idea that cee.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    What about 3d voice something like this?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jUXrir-lnA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jUXrir-lnA</a>
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i think having two keys for speaking is too confusing. Just a simple visual indicator who is near you is better.

e.g. when you press push to talk you enter "INFO-MODE" : names appear above player's heads, and on the edges of your screen like waypoints.

players that are talking should have a little icon appear on them or just have the little blue visor flicker to indicate communcation.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Merging a couple ideas in the thread:

1. Slight distortion/high pass on voice comms from players that aren't 'nearby' (whatever distance that is chosen to be)
    2. 3D effects on voice comms from players that are nearby
    3. Mic above head of players that are talking

That way when someone says "Weld me" you immediately know if the guy is near you or not, and if he is near you which direction he's in, and can pick him out of a crowd if need be.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1956277:date=Aug 2 2012, 07:40 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Aug 2 2012, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Merging a couple ideas in the thread:

1. Slight distortion/high pass on voice comms from players that aren't 'nearby' (whatever distance that is chosen to be)
    2. 3D effects on voice comms from players that are nearby
    3. Mic above head of players that are talking

That way when someone says "Weld me" you immediately know if the guy is near you or not, and if he is near you which direction he's in, and can pick him out of a crowd if need be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
    The big one for me is just give me an icon over the head of whoever is speaking. That alone is immensely helpful.
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    You guys forgot squad management commander has.

As you are assigned a squad (red, blue, yellow, green etc.) you get "squad talk" and "team talk".

That way it is easier to implement and you cant miss what you want to say to who you want to say it too.

It's not that of a good idea for public gaming where commanders don't usually issue squads.
  • GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    Yes, I pretty much like the idea, you don't always need to bother whole team and it makes better teamplay between smaller groups, definitely would like to see that implemented.

Also, kind of off-topic, but shouldn't the console command "annotate <message>" make the <message> pop up over one's head like with RT's "+1 resource" message? Would be great to bind some annotations to keys so we could have some kind of custom voice commands(except for the voice itself), so we can have fast access to what we need without waiting for implementation and also different people will likely use different sentences, so we might have "weld me", "patch me up", "please, weld" and maybe something else, so, variety which is good =)
    However there might be some issues with spamming (solve by cooldown maybe) and seeing some random messages might decrease the atmosphere of the game. Not sure if I like the idea myself xD
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think something like this will be necessary once we reach 16 players per side (32 playercount). Voice comms are very good at quickly and efficiently describing important information, but not all information needs to be broadcast to the entire team (e.g. like telling your squadmate about an incoming skulk behind them).
  • plausiblesargeplausiblesarge Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154558Members
    edited August 2012
    another idea:

each player is put in one of 2 (maybe 1 of 4, but then they only have 2 players per squad) squads, so the commander can easily order them around as a group, and they have their own voice channel.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i like the idea of 3d voidce. this would add a nice atmospheric effect (screams of dying marines in the distance :D) and allow you to easily locate the talking person. but i guess there are just too many problems with that to solve: people having different default volumes, people might be increasing their volume intentionally to compensate, etc...

so unless someone has some ideas to adress these issues (or maybe they are no problem at all, i've never played with such a system yet), i'd be happiest with the squad solution i think.
  • plausiblesargeplausiblesarge Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154558Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1956954:date=Aug 4 2012, 09:43 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Aug 4 2012, 09:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i like the idea of 3d voidce. this would add a nice atmospheric effect (screams of dying marines in the distance :D) and allow you to easily locate the talking person. but i guess there are just too many problems with that to solve: people having different default volumes, people might be increasing their volume intentionally to compensate, etc...

so unless someone has some ideas to adress these issues (or maybe they are no problem at all, i've never played with such a system yet), i'd be happiest with the squad solution i think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The system doesnt change their volume, it merely applies a slight effect over far away voices. They are still easy to hear, but its a nice piece of atmosphere
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Yeah, for nearby marines the 3d effect should just be direction-based, no volume change based on distance.