Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Translation site launched

12346»

Comments

• BruteBrute Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67778Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    New Strings say TSA instead of TSF

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The flamethrower is a new addition to the TSA load-out and was developed to battle the alien bacterial \'growth\' directly. It's main fire can be used to do medium damage to many adjacent targets."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also it seems odd that <i>'</i> is escaped in <i>\'growth\'</i> while it is not in <i>It's</i>
  • hit321hit321 Join Date: 2007-11-17 Member: 62942Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    A nice advice would be: <b>do not translate what can be spoken and understood internationally</b>.
    Need be clear with that.

Examples that I think can't (not should) be translated:
    - <b>Structures </b>(Armory, Crag, Hive, Shade, Veil, Cyst, Extractor, Harvester, Command Station.....)
    - <b>Weapons </b>(Shotgun, Grenade Launcher, Knife, Axe, Welder...)
    - <b>Attacks </b>(Blink, Bite, Bombard, Spore, Stomp....even the Butt of the Rifle)
    - <b>Abilities </b>(Adrenaline Spur, Camouflage Veil, Carapace Shell....)
    - Names of Aliens and Places.

So <b>Mendasp</b>, if is this correct use this examples at Guidelines.

If one above can be translated, <b>it will confuse</b>. So will be better translated all the game.

And how do you are choosing the judge for accept the translations?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited August 2012
    EDIT: Ok, guidelines updated, let me know what you think, I think it's a lot more clear now.

<!--quoteo(post=1955963:date=Aug 2 2012, 04:30 PM:name=hit321)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hit321 @ Aug 2 2012, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955963"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A nice advice would be: <b>do not translate what can be spoken and understood internationally</b>.
    Need be clear with that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have stated this several times in this thread and I am editing the guidelines now in a different format. But most importantly you have to remember these are guidelines, not rules.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And how do you are choosing the judge for accept the translations?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's no set of rules for choosing admins, I've approached people, it doesn't work the other way around. I will continue to add admins over time. It also helps if you have a thread in the translations forum and I see the people contributing, etc, but I think I will ask for a way to know who's contributing to what in the tool directly to help me decide.
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    I hope in future, those picked as admin, will even be able to modify what others have contributed with. Because as you make new guidelines, it's obvious some of the contributions have to be edited to fit the new guidelines. I'm pretty sure many names of structures, weapons, abilities and so on has been translated already... and this needs to be "cleaned" up by those picked as admin, so that the translation is always up-to-date with the guidelines.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited August 2012
    You can change the approved string and even "Submit" a new translation while the string is approved as an admin, so that shouldn't be a problem.

And the guidelines haven't changed one bit, they weren't explained properly, though.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    Mh, still think that doing this English/other Language mish-mash is an odd idea.
    I can understand why they want some stuff not to be translated but also understand why people would love to have as much terms translated as possible.
    Maybe providing a optional "full translation" and the "mixed" one by default, asking the player which one he wants to use or just be able to switch in the options? Or just a checkbox which simply overrides all of the "do not translate" entries in the language files? That should be doable with LUA, shouldn't it?
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1955961:date=Aug 2 2012, 03:22 PM:name=Brute)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brute @ Aug 2 2012, 03:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955961"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->New Strings say TSA instead of TSF

Also it seems odd that <i>'</i> is escaped in <i>\'growth\'</i> while it is not in <i>It's</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's = IT IS
    Its = POSSESSIVE
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1956375:date=Aug 3 2012, 11:22 AM:name=gorge.ous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gorge.ous @ Aug 3 2012, 11:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956375"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mh, still think that doing this English/other Language mish-mash is an odd idea.
    I can understand why they want some stuff not to be translated but also understand why people would love to have as much terms translated as possible.
    Maybe providing a optional "full translation" and the "mixed" one by default, asking the player which one he wants to use or just be able to switch in the options? Or just a checkbox which simply overrides all of the "do not translate" entries in the language files? That should be doable with LUA, shouldn't it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I get this, I really do, I wanted to do 2 versions for spanish a long time ago when I started doing it (manually editing the text file, back then), one fully translated, and one with this mixed system, we can explore this post 1.0 as we should polish what we have as much as possible before release right now. 216 will have an option to choose your language from the menu, but I don't know if the translations will be included, though.

The "do not translate" part is not feasible because some languages do have to change those strings, mainly the ones that do not use the latin alphabet (russian, chinese, korean, japanese, greek, etc), but I do think it'd be beneficial if the strings system could reference "terms", ie. you have a string that is GORGE = "Gorge" and then just reference it in other strings, so if you change that, it is the same everywhere, but that is also something we could discuss post 1.0.

Also, I think we should start using the translation forum now that we have one instead of using this thread, as stuff will get messy if you want to find something that was discussed here, as we've gone through a number of different topics.
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2012
    Just food for thought,

I noticed that some strings use parameters, such as %d, and thought it would make
    the translation process a lot more convenient if certain strings, namely unit, structure,
    and upgrade names, are paramatized as well. By doing so, translators don't have to
    change every string that has a certain word in it if they decided to change that particular
    word. It would make translations more consistent and error proof, provided that it doens't
    take much time and effort to implement the change.

An example would be

UNIT_COMMANDER_UPPER = 'Commander'
    UNIT_COMMANDER_LOWER = 'commander'
    ALERT_MARINE_ATTACK_COMMAND = 'UNIT_COMMANDER_UPPER wants to you to attack %t'
    LOGOFF_TOOLTIP = 'Click Logout to leave from UNI_COMMANDER_LOWER mode'

Secondly, I'm having an odd error whenever I try to launch NS2 with Korean translation.
    I've tried both setting locale to kr in option.xml and editing enUS.txt with some korean strings in it.
    None of them works and crashes NS2 upon launch. Maybe it has something do to with the fonts?

Lastly, is there a way to change the password? I recently reset mine and the one I received is
    just too long and complicated...
    <!--quoteo(post=1957951:date=Aug 6 2012, 03:55 AM:name=MzMz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MzMz @ Aug 6 2012, 03:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957951"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just food for thought,

I noticed that some strings use parameters, such as %d, and thought it would make
    the translation process a lot more convenient if certain strings, namely unit, structure,
    and upgrade names, are paramatized as well. By doing so, translators don't have to
    change every string that has a certain word in it if they decided to change that particular
    word. It would make translations more consistent and error proof, provided that it doens't
    take much time and effort to implement the change.

An example would be

UNIT_COMMANDER_UPPER = 'Commander'
    UNIT_COMMANDER_LOWER = 'commander'
    ALERT_MARINE_ATTACK_COMMAND = 'UNIT_COMMANDER_UPPER wants to you to attack %t'
    LOGOFF_TOOLTIP = 'Click Logout to leave from UNI_COMMANDER_LOWER mode'<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree with you on this one, I can ask the devs but I don't know if we have time for something like this before 1.0.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Secondly, I'm having an odd error whenever I try to launch NS2 with Korean translation.
    I've tried both setting locale to kr in option.xml and editing enUS.txt with some korean strings in it.
    None of them works and crashes NS2 upon launch. Maybe it has something do to with the fonts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm pretty sure it just doesn't support the fonts, axamdeep, who's doing the Chinese translation was modifying the fonts the game uses himself. I don't think there's going to be support for these alphabets in 1.0.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lastly, is there a way to change the password? I recently reset mine and the one I received is
    just too long and complicated...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think there's a way to set your own password for a reset, unless you trust me the password you want, which I can do, but obviously is not the way to go, I've asked for this in the past, I'll ask again :P

Also, if we could move all discussion to the new translation forums... it'd be a better place so we can find everything easily, this thread is getting too long and messy.
  • ChristianChristian Join Date: 2012-06-02 Member: 152870Members
    Hi. This may seem as a odd request, but here goes:

Problem: There are way to many strings, in the sections where no admins have been promoted (or heaven't approved anything). These languages are: Danish, Dutch, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Romanian, Russian, Slovak and Turkish)

Why is it a problem: People get tired of looking at the same translations. My hypothesis is that this is the reason why you can observe a drop in votes in the middle og the translation section.

How to resolve it: Promote admins OR Make a script that 'hides' (on-click to show again) the translations if they got more than X (5) points or less than X (-3) points. Or just hide the string itself it it reaches X points.
    I am working on getting more admins, please be patient.
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Please post any further requests or problems in the translation forums, I won't be checking on this topic anymore.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showforum=119" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p?showforum=119</a>