Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Translation site launched

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954624:date=Jul 28 2012, 03:27 PM:name=Agiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Agiel @ Jul 28 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there a way to see which string has been approved? I'm a bit worried about the quality of the Swedish translations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Type something in the filter and then delete it, it will show all the approved strings with a green background. They can't be "unapproved" as far as I know, but the people in charge can change them again if necessary.

<!--quoteo(post=1954634:date=Jul 28 2012, 04:10 PM:name=ZycaR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZycaR @ Jul 28 2012, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954634"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how % of complete works? it's recalculated in some kind of period?
    ... or (in what I'm looking for) it counts only approved translations?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    % of approved translations.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954635:date=Jul 28 2012, 04:14 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jul 28 2012, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Type something in the filter and then delete it, it will show all the approved strings with a green background. They can't be "unapproved" as far as I know, but the people in charge can change them again if necessary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, I noticed that. But I'd like to know which suggestion is the approved one, since often the one with the highest amount of points is quite bad (and sometimes the others aren't much better).
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I don't have a "normal" account, but doesn't it show a "CURRENTLY USED TRANSLATION" text next to it?
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1954641:date=Jul 28 2012, 05:05 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jul 28 2012, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't have a "normal" account, but doesn't it show a "CURRENTLY USED TRANSLATION" text next to it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope
    It was recently added, could you check again?
    Ok, I see it now. Although it didn't make me any less worried :(
    People are not reading the guidelines and are translating things like "Adrenaline Spur"... guys, "Spur" should be left in english like it's the building name, not a word to translate. The building is called SPUR, even if it has a translation, it shouldn't be translated.
  • AraamarmorthAraamarmorth Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69518Members
    edited July 2012
    In my account you can see the 'CURRENTLY USED TRANSLATION' next to one translation per green string after you've done the filter trick.

On the other hand the 'Show all strings' and 'Hide accepted strings' buttons do nothing.
  • atLaNNatLaNN Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30327Members, Constellation
    edited July 2012
    Stop ranting Mendasp :>

I'll get back to translating in french, baguette ftw !
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2012
    Hey,
    I was working on the app for past few hours (in ridiculous temperatures, with headache and sleepy- appreciate it!).

Stats:
    <div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>Database size: 8MB of data
    Log entries: ~22k
    Strings posted: ~14k
    Votes: ~15k
    Users: 300
    </div>

I'm hosting it on a shared machine, I just hope I won't be exceeding the limits for much more days :/

Progress update:
    <div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>features
    ----------------------------------
    + "show all translated" button
    + Better indication of currently selected language
    + guidelines blinking or something like that
    + remove own translation
    + graphical progress indicator
    + Being able to download a language for testing locally (files are build every 15 minutes)
    + I'd like to know which suggestion is the approved one [for regular users]

bugfixes
    + Translation progress - had to wipe British English, sorry!
    + Can add recurrent entries
    + My list there isn't showing up right: <a href="http://translate.unknownworlds.com/?module=admin&sm=guidelines" target="_blank">http://translate.unknownworlds.com/?module...p;sm=guidelines</a>
    + Strings getting magically un-approved
    + "Use original text as translation" breaks progress

todo
    - statistics
    - topic/forums for each language

won't do
    - put comments for each string
    - Adding the ability for users to flag strings that aren't
    used in the game? Then admins could "approve" this,
    and then there's a place I can look for all the flagged
    strings so I can easily remove them from the master file.</div>

If any of these changes doesn't work for you - hit CTRL+F5 while using the app.
    I'm preparing a new todo list, so keep posting here if you will need anything. Thanks for such big interest in the app! :)
    Thanks a lot.

Just an observation, the graphical progression is weird. You can't really see clearly each bars, maybe it's just that this green is too light ? I don't know.

Thats not important but it just feels weird to me.

Awesome work ;)
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    It should be a bit better now. Damn, I got no idea about design and colours. My palette is like windows 95 - 16 colors... If anyone got a suggestion for the bar, feel free to post it :P
    Its a lot better, thanks ;)
    Nice job !

I sometime use <a href="http://colorschemedesigner.com/" target="_blank">http://colorschemedesigner.com/</a>, it's ok and does include a colorblind/usual vision problem preview.

As far as the todo list goes I'll suggest :

_ add and rate comments

_ see your own submissions and being able to delete them

_remove the good/bad button on the strings you already rated (or if we become able to change or undo our vote stress which vote we choosed)

Coding in bad conditions is such a **** pain ... If you use usual technologies I'm sure the community (including me) is ready to help you.
    I had an idea (maybe i'll realize this is a dumb one later, thats usually the case :D)

When we download the file, for example the french one, it only seems to change the approved translation. But, as of now, theres none in french, so we can't even test if the context is right.

The idea is, what if we could download the file, and the translation would be changed to the translation with the highest number of positive votes. This way we could dl in, go in game and test it. Helping loads of people finding the right translation, or atleast, one that is NOT out of context.

Or maybe theres a way to do that already without having to edit the entire file manually ?

Thanks.
    edited July 2012
    Looks like my post are useless lol ... I made a script that create you a text file in the game format you can download it here : <a href="http://perso.crans.org/bonaque/ns2/downloadscript/translationDownloader.user.js" target="_blank">http://perso.crans.org/bonaque/ns2/downloa...nloader.user.js</a> .

It had a 'Download a formatted copy' button in the top bar of each language page (once the page is completely loaded). When you click it, depending on your browser's configuration, it will display or ask you to save a text file in the game format with all the translation currently proposed on the page (all but the first one for each string commentated - but I can change that to the best rated if you want).

EDIT :
    <strike>(The only current problem is when people put " in there translation which make the game crash at startup for example to use the French auto generated translation remove the " in ALIEN_ARMOR1, INFANTRY_PORTAL_TOOLTIP, and possibly in IN_READYROOM_TOOLTIP if you use the translation with the ", I'll fix that if anyone is interested)</strike>

Fixed, just save the file in place of ...Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\gamestrings\enUS.txt and it works ;)
    Delete works ;) Great job again.
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1954255:date=Jul 27 2012, 07:29 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jul 27 2012, 07:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm about to go and make a list myself, but it's going to be for the ones that are needed in spanish (which will probably work for most languages), what we can do is... since it's quite probable that you will need more, or different orders, could you compile a list of what you notice is going to require a different order and submit it to me? I'll add it to my list and forward it to the devs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here is the list:

ABM_EVOLVE_FOR ("Evolve for ")
    WELCOME_TO ("Welcome to")
    ABM_NEED ("Need ")

'Welcome to' may not be used in the game any more but it is still there and 'need' seems like it will have something
    attached right next to it (three hives, three command stations?)

I also translated all the strings into Korean but there are no other koreans to give votes! :(
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954657:date=Jul 28 2012, 03:49 PM:name=Agiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Agiel @ Jul 28 2012, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, I see it now. Although it didn't make me any less worried :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    please go in the Swedish translation topic <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119590" target="_blank">HERE</a> to discuss and give feedback.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    While speeding translating here , I want to translate some programmers here in Turkish

DEVELOPER_FLAYRA( "Flayra")
    "Fedai" delete / good / bad
    DEVELOPER_MAX( "Max")
    "Maks" delete / good / bad
    DEVELOPER_NS2HD( "NS2HD")
    "eNiS2HD" delete / good / bad
    DEVELOPER_COREY( "Corey")
    "Kori" delete / good / bad
    DEVELOPER_BRIAN( "Brian")
    "Bıreyn" delete / good / bad
    DEVELOPER_BRIANTHEREALONE( "BrianTheRealOne")
    "BıreynGerçekOlan" delete / good / bad

heheheheh
    <!--quoteo(post=1954745:date=Jul 29 2012, 01:07 AM:name=MzMz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MzMz @ Jul 29 2012, 01:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here is the list:

ABM_EVOLVE_FOR ("Evolve for ")
    WELCOME_TO ("Welcome to")
    ABM_NEED ("Need ")

'Welcome to' may not be used in the game any more but it is still there and 'need' seems like it will have something
    attached right next to it (three hives, three command stations?)

I also translated all the strings into Korean but there are no other koreans to give votes! :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Welcome to is used when the game is about to start, it says "Welcome to [mapname]". I have taken note of this and will send them with the rest of the strings that spanish (and probably french/italian, etc) needs in a different order.

ABM is Alien Buy Menu. "Need" is "Need 50 (resources)" it shows up when you select a lifeform that you don't have enough resources for. If you needed to change the order for "Evolve for" (which has the same use) I assume you will need it for this one too.

Note that the strings that get changed will need to be retranslated, obviously. And I don't think they're going to be highlighted, so I'll probably get you guys a list of changes here when a change happens so you know what needs an update.

In another note, I am going to send the devs a list of unused strings so people don't waste time translating stuff that's not in the game anymore (or has never been in the game).

Cheers!
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    <a href="http://translate.unknownworlds.com/" target="_blank">http://translate.unknownworlds.com/</a>

Rechange the introduction page for translation site. Don't force people to read everything in english for the first step (Registration). :)

The entire point with translation site is to provide people assistance, by reading in their own language, but when forcing a person who barely understands english to registered, he or she won't understand. Giving the translation site a pointless influence. :/

If a person don't understand english then he has to have the opportinity to choose a specific language. Once choosen langauge he may continue the first step which in this cause is to registered.

Would be cool to have nation flags in the first page, so you can choose at very beginning what language you want to use.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1954900:date=Jul 29 2012, 12:51 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Jul 29 2012, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://translate.unknownworlds.com/" target="_blank">http://translate.unknownworlds.com/</a>

Rechange the introduction page for translation site. Don't force people to read everything in english for the first step (Registration). :)

The entire point with translation site is to provide people assistance, by reading in their own language, but when forcing a person who barely understands english to registered, he or she won't understand. Giving the translation site a pointless influence. :/

If a person don't understand english then he has to have the opportinity to choose a specific language. Once choosen langauge he may continue the first step which in this cause is to registered.

Would be cool to have nation flags in the first page, so you can choose at very beginning what language you want to use.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While this would make sense in theory but what would a non english speaking person do on a website where english text are translated into a another language?
    <!--quoteo(post=1954906:date=Jul 29 2012, 08:10 PM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Jul 29 2012, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While this would make sense in theory but what would a non english speaking person do on a website where english text are translated into a another language?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I couldn't agree more.
  • MobyMoby Join Date: 2009-08-13 Member: 68450Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is there a possibility to delete an translation account, since I created a translation user with a wrong username but the right email address?
    Would be nice to help with the German translation.
  • SI<iLLeXSI<iLLeX Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154467Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954335:date=Jul 27 2012, 05:03 PM:name=Thrillseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillseeker @ Jul 27 2012, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will help out with the Norwegian one ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me2
    <!--quoteo(post=1955114:date=Jul 30 2012, 06:11 PM:name=Moby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Moby @ Jul 30 2012, 06:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there a possibility to delete an translation account, since I created a translation user with a wrong username but the right email address?
    Would be nice to help with the German translation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    PM me your old and new user name, I think I can rename your account.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    Who will accept the strings ? Is there a team for each language ?
    <!--quoteo(post=1955369:date=Jul 31 2012, 04:40 PM:name=eXa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eXa @ Jul 31 2012, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who will accept the strings ? Is there a team for each language ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have added a couple of people for a few translations today, I will continue to do so in the next few days, ideally each translation will have someone (native) responsible for accepting the strings.
  • BetelgeuxBetelgeux Join Date: 2011-10-28 Member: 129902Members
    <i> If you don't see your language there yet, e-mail me or tweet us and we'll add it.</i>

Email whom? Anyway there is no Magyar (Hungarian) language category, so I can't help translate.