Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Translation site launched

Comments

• NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1954349:date=Jul 27 2012, 09:41 AM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jul 27 2012, 09:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm finding a ton of German strings in the spanish translation, please, whoever is doing this should stop, it should be painfully obvious by reading the already spanish translations that it is not the german one...

Jer9-Carver translated "ALIEN_VICTORY" to "Aliens hebben gewonnen!" in Spanish (15 mins ago)
    Jer9-Carver translated "ALIEN_DEFEAT" to "Aliens hebben verloren" in Spanish (15 mins ago)

In fact there should be a way to stick to a translation by default when you go to the translate section, perhaps a dropdown instead of a list on the left?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually that's no german, looks like dutch to me but there are other languaged stringed in the german language as well.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions everyone. These all sound like great additions to me:
    - Being able to download a language for testing locally
    - Being able to leave comments on a string, so an entry can be discussed. I imagine this would be a threaded list of comments, which is tracked for a string (not a translation), in that language. So for example, Spanish translators could discuss how best to handle the gender for Crags, without losing that discussion as various translations are added, approved or deleted.
    - Adding the ability for users to flag strings that aren't used in the game? Then admins could "approve" this, and then there's a place I can look for all the flagged strings so I can easily remove them from the master file.

There are going to be some growing pains of course, but this is moving forward in a big way. Keep posting your feedback here.
  • Jer9-CarverJer9-Carver Join Date: 2011-02-07 Member: 80728Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954349:date=Jul 27 2012, 03:41 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jul 27 2012, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm finding a ton of German strings in the spanish translation, please, whoever is doing this should stop, it should be painfully obvious by reading the already spanish translations that it is not the german one...

Jer9-Carver translated "ALIEN_VICTORY" to "Aliens hebben gewonnen!" in Spanish (15 mins ago)
    Jer9-Carver translated "ALIEN_DEFEAT" to "Aliens hebben verloren" in Spanish (15 mins ago)

In fact there should be a way to stick to a translation by default when you go to the translate section, perhaps a dropdown instead of a list on the left?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh crap, I'm terribly sorry. I was using your spanish translation as reference. but it seems i've been entering my submissions in the spanish section as well. >.<
    No wonder none of my things were in the dutch translation section. I'll keep a closer eye to where I'll put my translation. I'm very sorry!
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1954385:date=Jul 27 2012, 07:27 PM:name=Jer9-Carver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer9-Carver @ Jul 27 2012, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh crap, I'm terribly sorry. I was using your spanish translation as reference. but it seems i've been entering my submissions in the spanish section as well. >.<
    No wonder none of my things were in the dutch translation section. I'll keep a closer eye to where I'll put my translation. I'm very sorry!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No problem, a lot of the strings I approved have magically reappeared, so I'll just do a big cleaning pass after we get the next batch of fixes.
  • AraamarmorthAraamarmorth Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69518Members
    edited July 2012
    Yea there was the same problem in French yesterday, someone wrote 'mogen' 10 times as a translation of mature ... I guess it was a language mix-up.

I might write a small javascript user script to add a button to download as a formatted txt file if enough people are interested in (the problem is you'll still need to modify the file to deal with multiple translations ...)

I have problem dealing with ALIEN_ARMOR : as far as my understanding goes depending on your alien armor level every point of armor acts as 2,3 or 4 hitpoints. The catch is :
    _ do you get armor lvl 1 with 1 hive, lvl 2 with 2 hives and lvl3 with 3, in which case shouldn't it read "2 hive*S* armor (each point worth 3 health)" and "3 hive*S* armor [...]" in English ?
    _ or is it just a level and hive is an adjective to armor (thus the lowercase 'h' ?) in which case we are pretty **** because deriving an adjective from Hive in French gonna be tough.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1954400:date=Jul 27 2012, 08:04 PM:name=Araamarmorth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Araamarmorth @ Jul 27 2012, 08:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea there was the same problem in French yesterday, someone wrote 'mogen' 10 times as a translation of mature ... I guess it was a language mix-up.

I might write a small javascript user script to add a button to download as a formatted txt file if enough people are interested in (the problem is you'll still need to modify the file to deal with multiple translations ...)

I have problem dealing with ALIEN_ARMOR : as far as my understanding goes depending on your alien armor level every point of armor acts as 2,3 or 4 hitpoints. The catch is :
    _ do you get armor lvl 1 with 1 hive, lvl 2 with 2 hives and lvl3 with 3, in which case shouldn't it read "2 hive*S* armor (each point worth 3 health)" and "3 hive*S* armor [...]" in English ?
    _ or is it just a level and hive is an adjective to armor (thus the lowercase 'h' ?) in which case we are pretty **** because deriving an adjective from Hive in French gonna be tough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Those strings are not used ingame, so don't worry.
    <!--quoteo(post=1954403:date=Jul 27 2012, 07:09 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jul 27 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954403"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those strings are not used ingame, so don't worry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's cool !
  • jcoolkatzergjcoolkatzerg Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27335Members
    Cuoold ve-a get a trunsleshun fur Svedeesh Cheff? Bork Bork Bork! XD
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    When you guys post discussion threads for news, can you please post a link as well to it?
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    The abbility to edit your own string for lets say 1 min after submitting.
    A few time i have had to rewrite stuff, becouse i saw i had made a wrong cap or forgotten a space at the end.
  • ArcL!ghtArcL!ght Join Date: 2007-11-27 Member: 63031Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1954445:date=Jul 27 2012, 10:35 PM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Jul 27 2012, 10:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The ability to edit your own string for lets say 1 min after submitting.
    A few time i have had to rewrite stuff, because i saw i had made a wrong cap or forgotten a space at the end.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

/Grammar Nazi (edited your errors hehe).

Ability to edit string while nobody has voted for or against it would be nice.

Also I will take Croatian under my wing for now, hope there are more Croatians out there. Also if Bosnians agree we can work on Croatian together since is more then 99% similar (like UK or US English or Spanish in Spain or South America) while not including the local words that are not connected to grammar.

And I would like that idea about localized files for testing too. A lot of stuff is hard to translate without actually seeing it in game itself (how it connects and where).
  • SkyrageSkyrage Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20249Members
    So, just curious but who has pirate language covered? NS2 in pirate would be grabbed by me in a heartbeat!
    edited July 2012
    Hi guy,

I ended up doing the script hat add a button to download a copy.

If you are interested please read the very small readme and download the script at <a href="http://perso.crans.org/bonaque/ns2/downloadscript/" target="_blank">http://perso.crans.org/bonaque/ns2/downloadscript/</a> .

<b>Edit :</b> I was lazy and just tested it on chrome/windows7, looks like something fails with firefox, I'll look into that in 5-10 hours ;)
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    @Araamarmorth
    I'll add this feature to the website today ;)
  • kobjaguerkobjaguer Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100088Members
    I have a question about proper names, ill use a case as example:
    in my language PT-BR we can go for 2 situations
    Armory = Arsenal
    Hive = Colméia
    (Whip = Chicote)

They are all structure "proper" names so going like that how can i determine what should and what should i not translate?
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2012
    <!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Read the Guidelines please!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • kobjaguerkobjaguer Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100088Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954472:date=Jul 27 2012, 08:31 PM:name=AceDude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AceDude @ Jul 27 2012, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Read the Guidelines please!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The guidelines are teh problem here, because armory is a structure name, then lets make things clear
    we are talking about matters of languages, i know it may cause some discussions but there is no use in getting angry, each one is very peculiar in its own way making some translations either wrong or necessary
    as structure names goes, if its decided which ones we should translate would make this issue go away, as of now as it is in the guidelines:
    "Here's what SHOULD be translated:

Descriptive names (Shotgun, Armory)"

and

"For terms somewhere between "descriptive" and "proper":

Sentry (Keep in English if it sounds "cooler"). Use your best judgement."

doesnt help us much, because there are very few things we cant translate (shade). "Sounds cooler" will make a hell of a mess, in PT-BR we have people voting up the text IN ENGLISH for that reason when we have a fitting but "ugly" translation avaliable
    edited July 2012
    In spanish the only thing translated are marine weapons, because they're "familiar" enough, the rest is all left in english, like buildings and abilities (armory, xenocide, adrenaline, etc). Anything's that vital for communication.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    If it doesnt exist already...

I would volunteer for administrating(cleaning up/making it consistent) the german translation. I dont have any special qualification other than i'm not a retard and feel capable of writing proper and correct german. (tho it might be good if maybe depara and dghelneshi or whatever joins me if they feel like doing it - so im not going crazy on power ;P)

But i dont know, maybe you want to keep the translations only being chosen trough votes. (which is a mess atm but could still be (very slowly and painfully) done with a lot additions to the systems, like ones charlie already mentioned... especially the option to make comments, to influence voters making correct decisions)
    I think the best course of action is choosing a native speaker per translation, it's going to be hard to pick the right one, but I think we can arrange something.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    @Koruyo:

I'd probably want to join you. I didn't really want to be admin because it's so much work and people will get angry if I don't translate every single word, but maybe we can do it together. I don't have special qualifications either, but I can write essays in both English and German with about one spelling/grammar mistake every 500-1000 words (no proof-reading). Unfortunately, perfectionism also means it will take me a long time to do stuff.

Doing a translation by votes will not work. The majority of people unfortunately neither know German nor English nor NS2 and random people can just register and spam the site anyway.
    edited July 2012
    I fixed the firefox issue if anyone cares ;) <a href="http://perso.crans.org/bonaque/ns2/downloadscript/translationDownloader.user.js" target="_blank">http://perso.crans.org/bonaque/ns2/downloa...nloader.user.js</a> (update extension button in the browser should also work)

<!--quoteo(post=1954462:date=Jul 27 2012, 11:02 PM:name=AceDude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AceDude @ Jul 27 2012, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Araamarmorth
    I'll add this feature to the website today ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you mean you'll add a button with my function (which would mean it was not completely for nothing) or will you recode it ?

While doing my small script I discovered a few things :

_ you can't put " in strings in the config files but you can put some on the website. ( You can't in the files for the obvious reason that it marked a 'end string' so it will most likely crash ns2 at startup). For example this is the reason why the automatically generated French version crash : someone put a quote in the ALIEN_ARMOR1 string. Removing it makes the file generetad by my script works.
    _ some strings like the dialogs - 'Follow me', 'Let's move', 'Hostile' ... - menu button titles and loading screen descriptions - 'loading...' ...- are not here
    _ either my encoding or the game font is wrong as 'é' and 'è' are not correctly displayed
    _ the first translation proposed sucks ;)
  • blinblin Join Date: 2011-07-20 Member: 111290Members
    Hi, guys!

We have a situation here. In my opinion, we should let AXAMDEEP do ALL the chinese translation. He's been doing it for years already. What is going on now there is just aweful. It seems that people involved in translation even havent played the game yet and their versions of text are going "+".

It is a serious deal.

Let's discuss chinese translation here.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119578" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=119578</a>
  • blinblin Join Date: 2011-07-20 Member: 111290Members
    Russian thread.

So far so good. I asked to add the Russian thread and did some translation, but now there are people with even better versions, I "+" them. Very good job.

It seems that I live abroad for too long now and my russian skills are going severily down.

Anyways, for any questionable translations lets discuss them here.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119579" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=119579</a>
  • FloricedFloriced Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7129Members
    Currently the finnish translation project is ready for voting and its first test version.

I believe the best and only option for anyone is to have their first version released to ease up on unifying and refining translated messages for the next round of translation.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954499:date=Jul 28 2012, 12:29 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Jul 28 2012, 12:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Koruyo:

I'd probably want to join you. I didn't really want to be admin because it's so much work and people will get angry if I don't translate every single word, but maybe we can do it together. I don't have special qualifications either, but I can write essays in both English and German with about one spelling/grammar mistake every 500-1000 words (no proof-reading). Unfortunately, perfectionism also means it will take me a long time to do stuff.

Doing a translation by votes will not work. The majority of people unfortunately neither know German nor English nor NS2 and random people can just register and spam the site anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, the cloud is not as intelligent as thought sometimes.
    Is there no function for making suggestions? At some of the translations no choice would be the right one.
    I would love to help, I study linguistics and think I have a good feeling for translations.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    Oh very good tool. I just entered some of Turkish words.

But there should be delete/edit button for authors, also votes and writers should be seen by all users.
    <!--quoteo(post=1954587:date=Jul 28 2012, 10:25 AM:name=blin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blin @ Jul 28 2012, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi, guys!

We have a situation here. In my opinion, we should let AXAMDEEP do ALL the chinese translation. He's been doing it for years already. What is going on now there is just aweful. It seems that people involved in translation even havent played the game yet and their versions of text are going "+".

It is a serious deal.

Let's discuss chinese translation here.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119578" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=119578</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We can make him the one that approves the strings, but this will be done later, don't worry about the scores if there's something funny going on as it always requires human intervention.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Is there a way to see which string has been approved? I'm a bit worried about the quality of the Swedish translations.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    how % of complete works? it's recalculated in some kind of period?
    ... or (in what I'm looking for) it counts only approved translations?