Combat Mode

12346»

Comments

• JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1922745:date=Apr 7 2012, 08:21 AM:name=JimWest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimWest @ Apr 7 2012, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok you're right, I've started now my own Combat-Mode Mod from scratch,
    and only server side so everybody can play on it without downloading anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The main problem is to get a server sided GUI for the Updates.
    My server saves XP and tells me directly if i kill someone (the xp and the lvl).
    Lvl Update seems to work, too, but I have no Idea how I could manage the GUI.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    sorry for the late reply..

As far as I am aware, the GUI is entirely client side. You would need to write a server aspect of GUI yourself which overwrites the client GUI, and I am not sure if that is possible.. but I'm not a programmer :)
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Hi all,

I am in Prague at the moment and weeks away from returning to the UK after a strange journey through China, Mongolia and Siberia. It's going to take some re-acclimatising after being on the road for so long but I'm keen to give this another shot when I get back. I'm glad that Jim was able to look at the code and decipher what's going on - you really need to compare it to the old NS2 version, which luckily I stored in the git repository in a separate branch to help with merging UWE's changes into Combat.

The GUI aspects are indeed going to have to be done on the client side if they're going to be any good and you probably have materials, sounds and effects that will need to be downloaded from the server too. I think that the best approach is to distribute a client-side mod for now (like Soul is doing with Proving Grounds), with the assumption that server-side mod downloading is going to be available to us from Spark at some point in the future.

I agree with Soul_Rider - another version of this is going to have to be started from scratch and with a different implementation strategy, as the old one was far too prone to breakage when vanilla NS2 changed. There are also many things in the original from 2011 that aren't required now because they are in vanilla NS2, like players welding each other etc.

Anyway, will chime in when I'm in a position to get on with it. Hope you're all doing well and catch up soon.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    Hope you are having or had a safe trip, for the sake of combat! :D
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Combat is back, soon.
    We're working on it.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943586:date=Jun 15 2012, 06:14 PM:name=JimWest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimWest @ Jun 15 2012, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Combat is back, soon.
    We're working on it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

tops
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Okay, Back from my 4 week USA tour finally...Ahhhh....vegas....the rockies....the ozarks....what fun....

I'll try to jump in and check out what's been going on. If your still looking for test maps I'll dig them up and drop them on the servers desktop, just let me know.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Glad to hear you had a good road trip! All the info on our progress is now in <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119151" target="_blank">This Thread</a>.

Thanks for providing the server for us - It's been working great!