Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Translation site launched

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Translation site launched here

Comments

• AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Damn, I'm proud of it! :)
  • PekermanPekerman Join Date: 2010-03-07 Member: 70876Members
    edited July 2012
    nice. i'll try to help. is there some kind of way of seeing things that had been already accepted? some kind of library or something.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    This is a really great idea. Great work! I will start monitoring the German translation.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any possibility for us Canadians to add our U's to any empty places for English? Haha!
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've gotten tons of e-mail over the years from players who wanted to translate Natural Selection. For NS1, we ended up shipping English, French ("Ejecter le comm."), Spanish ("Estás gestando.", German (""Werde angegriffen!") and Turkish "Gidelim Buradan").<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This will make any programmer cringe. It hurts me down deep.

Cool idea.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Aye Huze. Just think of the pains of UTF16 character sets in UTF8 storage format *shudders*
  • basti1337basti1337 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98538Members
    So what will happen now with the community translation projects? There are already some projects here in the forums where people (including me) are translating the new lines which come with every build. Can you use these as a basis for the new translation page or will all the work be useless in the end? :/
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954143:date=Jul 27 2012, 02:55 AM:name=Pekerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pekerman @ Jul 27 2012, 02:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nice. i'll try to help. is there some kind of way of seeing things that had been already accepted? some kind of library or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you start typing in the filter and then delete whatever you typed you'll see all the approved strings in a green background.

I'm keeping everything that's needed for communication in international servers in english (alien abilities, buildings, upgrades, etc). The only things that have been translated are the marine weapons (escopeta, lanzallamas), etc.

Still working on getting the right genders for a few things, and getting some things sorted for proper translation (like order of some words). I'm leaving some intentionally blank as they're not even used ingame and another ones which are probably going to be removed eventually.

I see you're from Argentina, so I don't know if you guys might feel you might need a separate one as I'm doing the Spain variant, although if we can make it work for everyone I think that'd be best.

<!--quoteo(post=1954157:date=Jul 27 2012, 03:46 AM:name=basti1337)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (basti1337 @ Jul 27 2012, 03:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So what will happen now with the community translation projects? There are already some projects here in the forums where people (including me) are translating the new lines which come with every build. Can you use these as a basis for the new translation page or will all the work be useless in the end? :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've added most of mine (spanish) by hand, it's at about 85% now... took hours to get to 60% and I've done a push today and it's at that...
  • PekermanPekerman Join Date: 2010-03-07 Member: 70876Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954158:date=Jul 26 2012, 05:47 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jul 26 2012, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954158"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see you're from Argentina, so I don't know if you guys might feel you might need a separate one as I'm doing the Spain variant, although if we can make it work for everyone I think that'd be best.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

honestly i don't think it's necessary i don't know what others thinks though. i know there is a "portuguese (brazil)" but i don't think we really need "Spanish (LA)". most of the things will just be the same, or slightly different

pd: anything you need im available.
  • basti1337basti1337 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1954158:date=Jul 27 2012, 03:47 AM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jul 27 2012, 03:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954158"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've added most of mine (spanish) by hand, it's at about 85% now... took hours to get to 60% and I've done a push today and it's at that...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, I don't think I'm going to copy all lines by hand, its just too much work. I'm also seeing that there are people already working on a german translation at the translation page (which is fine) and I don't want to mess up their stuff.
    I just wanted to say that its sad that the translation page went online and there was nothing imported from the translations the poeple already made. So if those people are not willing to spent more time on copying or aren't just fast enough because other people start to fill the lines, all their previous work and effort was useless... :(
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    There are a few setences that I'm having a trouble with due to differences in word order.

For instance, English uses subject + verb + object form ( I + ate + an apple)
    whereas Korean uses the form subject + object + verb (I + an apple + ate)
    Due to this, some sentences such as "Evolve for" is rather hard to translate
    because when used in game, it will be displayed as "Evolve for " + something
    but in Korean, it should be something + 'Evolve for", so no matter how I translate,
    it will not make sense.

perhaps somone, who speaks a language with similar word order as korean,
    have any suggestions?
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954176:date=Jul 27 2012, 05:22 AM:name=MzMz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MzMz @ Jul 27 2012, 05:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Many languages have those kind of problems. As far as I know, Mendasp is actively working with the developers to make things like that possible.

[RANT]
    <u><b>To all translators:</b></u>

<b>Please</b> try to be familiar with your own language's spelling and grammar rules and don't just suggest something without even looking at it. The suggested German translations have an atrocious amount of wrong grammar and spelling and even typos in them. It can't be too hard to at least have no typos in there, can it?

<b>Please</b> try to find out where the string is used in the game. Translating literally without knowing the context is just like taking a stab in the dark. If you have programming experience, you can open the NS2 project in Decoda and search (Ctrl+Shift+F) for the original string (the one in CAPS and with underscores instead of spaces) to find out where it is used.

Also pay attention to the formatting in the original English strings.
    E.g. <i>ABM_EVOLVE_FOR ("Evolve for ")</i>: Notice the space at the end of the string. It is there for a reason, so you need to include it in your translation.

Some translations I've seen quite frankly <b>do not make any sense at all</b> and are on par with Google Translator.

This is meant as a reminder that this is an official translation which will be shipped with the game. Please put some effort in it instead of just spamming as fast as you can and keep in mind the game will be judged by its translation in the reviews.
    Some of the German community members might <a href="http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/9728/dsc005492ja.jpg" target="_blank">remember the German</a> <a href="http://localyzer.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/gebmythmorc3bcstung.jpg" target="_blank">translation of Oblivion</a>...
    [/RANT]
  • kobjaguerkobjaguer Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100088Members
    I got a bunch of things in PT-BR done, i see some other people are doing it too so ill just say it here.
    my native language grammar is horrible(acentos,letragem...), but im pretty confident with the translations, so if you see a translation with the text wrong, check it for gramar, maybe it has a better translation than you might have done but with wrong portuguese stuff.

(text in portuguese for the translators)
    galera, se puder me adicionar mande uma msg private no forum, podemos trabalhar bem nisso ai e ter uma versão completa em portugues bem rapido.
  • AraamarmorthAraamarmorth Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69518Members
    This is great ;) It could be even better if we could:

_have of find some context
    _remove (or correct) our own translation
    _NOT add redondant translations.
    _put nothing in STATUS_VOID
    _put comments for each string

By the way can someone confirm me that 'spur' in CELERITY_SPUR means boost and not some kind of cow-boyish spurs that might increase speed as crampons might do ?
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954195:date=Jul 27 2012, 07:29 AM:name=Araamarmorth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Araamarmorth @ Jul 27 2012, 07:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954195"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By the way can someone confirm me that 'spur' in CELERITY_SPUR means boost and not some kind of cow-boyish spurs that might increase speed as crampons might do ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think you should not try translating the names like Skulk, Fade, Spur, etc. They are not really translatable and it complicates communication with people not speaking French and even Frenchmen playing the English version of the game. This is also in the guidelines on the translation site.
  • AraamarmorthAraamarmorth Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69518Members
    I agree with you on Skulk, Fade, Onos, Gorge, Shade, Hive, Lerk, Jetpack, Blink and some others but I tend to believe that 'celerity' looks cooler in French (from a French perspective) but once you decided to translate 'celerity' you are bound to translate celerity spur too ;(
  • ChristianChristian Join Date: 2012-06-02 Member: 152870Members
    Looks good.

Is it possible to get Danish (from Denmark) in there to translate aswell?
    I will translate it myself if needed. :)
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954198:date=Jul 27 2012, 08:14 AM:name=Araamarmorth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Araamarmorth @ Jul 27 2012, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with you on Skulk, Fade, Onos, Gorge, Shade, Hive, Lerk, Jetpack, Blink and some others but I tend to believe that 'celerity' looks cooler in French (from a French perspective) but once you decided to translate 'celerity' you are bound to translate celerity spur too ;(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah. Half-German, half-English nouns work (somewhat), but some of the evolutions don't sound good in German, so I'm torn between leaving everything in English and translating it. In general, there are waaay too many untranslatable words. Even simple words like evolve, structure, advanced, etc. are next to impossible to translate properly.

Edit: Seems like the trolls are invading. People are translating stuff in such a wrong way that I can only assume that they haven't played the game at all or at least do not comprehend it. The same people downvote untranslated proper nouns or even correct translations instead so that their translations are top voted. Unfortunately, this was to be expected (especially from the German community imho, but that is probably prejudice). :/
  • AceDudeAceDude Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 61994Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for appreciation ;) I'll keep track of this thread, so you can post any bugs or feature requests here.
  • blinblin Join Date: 2011-07-20 Member: 111290Members
    guys, how to add a language? I dont see Russian there.

Neither chinese.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited July 2012
    this is an awesome idea :) the only thing that worries me is that the translations could be a bit inconsistent (since there are multiple correct choices) so maybe the admins should keep an eye on that. an obvious example is the translation of gender. no matter how it is addressed: it should be somewhat uniform across the entire translation.

as for the german translation: <a href="http://www.leo.org" target="_blank">www.leo.org</a> provides a nice variety of different translations for every word/phrase you can imagine. this might also come in handy to check your spelling.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow this is a amazing work from a community member, a really smart way to allow the community to get involved!
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    Great,

Could you add an option to remove our translation when there is no vote on it (like I made a typo and I want to remove it)
    and another would be sorting by untranslated/translated
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    German translation already got some big problems, and there is no way to influence ppl enough to fix it.

Given that you get 10 different version for a single word per translation, and then have a totally different word voted for the next one (like Armory word X, and then armory tooltip word Y for armory Armory upgrade word Z - just an example)

Since we only got 1 vote per translation and no way to give hints for ppl (like ppl voting for translations that are against the guidelines, or the problem i already said)

I dont see how this will get a nice and proper/consistent translation.

It needs a very small team to fix it up in the end - no matter what votes say.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954176:date=Jul 27 2012, 05:22 AM:name=MzMz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MzMz @ Jul 27 2012, 05:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954176"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are a few setences that I'm having a trouble with due to differences in word order.

For instance, English uses subject + verb + object form ( I + ate + an apple)
    whereas Korean uses the form subject + object + verb (I + an apple + ate)
    Due to this, some sentences such as "Evolve for" is rather hard to translate
    because when used in game, it will be displayed as "Evolve for " + something
    but in Korean, it should be something + 'Evolve for", so no matter how I translate,
    it will not make sense.

perhaps somone, who speaks a language with similar word order as korean,
    have any suggestions?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm about to go and make a list myself, but it's going to be for the ones that are needed in spanish (which will probably work for most languages), what we can do is... since it's quite probable that you will need more, or different orders, could you compile a list of what you notice is going to require a different order and submit it to me? I'll add it to my list and forward it to the devs.

<!--quoteo(post=1954201:date=Jul 27 2012, 08:35 AM:name=Christian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Christian @ Jul 27 2012, 08:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks good.

Is it possible to get Danish (from Denmark) in there to translate aswell?
    I will translate it myself if needed. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Added Danish (daDK.txt).

<!--quoteo(post=1954231:date=Jul 27 2012, 11:29 AM:name=blin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blin @ Jul 27 2012, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->guys, how to add a language? I dont see Russian there.

Neither chinese.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Added Russian (ruRU.txt) and Chinese (Simplified) (zhCN.txt)
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could you add an option to remove our translation when there is no vote on it (like I made a typo and I want to remove it)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1, happened to me as well (forgot the first character when copy-pasting something to change a word in the middle of the phrase)

and yes, please add a way to include comments. some people already submitted "translations" which are actually comments. and there is indeed a lot to discuss and/or to point out (e.g. the trailing spaces).

imo, we should simply try to gather as many valid translations as possible.
    after a while, one (or multiple) trusted people should decide upon conventions which are then used regarding all other translations. Ideally they will already find the desired translation among the submissions (thats why we should provide a nice variety).
    This does not only apply for nouns like "Armory": e.g. "You" can be translated as "Du" or "Sie" depending on how formal you want it to be. Both versions can be found in other games, so it is really a matter of choice.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    btw:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DRIFTER_PARASITE_TECH_TOOLTIP ("Grants parasite abilit<b>ies</b> to Drifters")<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    is this intended?
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Can we expect a revision of the tooltips prior to release? I've started doing a translation a couple of times, but always got discouraged because many original texts sounded quite raw - and after a quick glance over the enUS file that is still the case. Just can't bring myself to spend any time on it now, if there is a major overhaul planned.

I'm not sure if the line-by-line approach will work out. Good translations need consistency and a uniform writing style. This means using the same expressions throughout the whole text file or defining a common sentence structure for all tooltips (e.g. to prevent ending up with half the tooltips in point form while the other half is written as full sentences). Even pedantic details, like whether or not to end lines with a full stop are worth considering for high quality translations. At the moment, your system can't ensure consistency at all.

Finally a technical complaint: I dislike that I have to enter the translation in a tiny pop-up, that doesn't even tell me what I'm translating. I'd prefer a text box directly under each item. That way I save myself the unnecessary click and can read the original text and the current suggestions.