Server Tickrate Monitoring

xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2012 in Server Discussion
Ive been doing alot of tickrate monitoring to determine how often to restart servers, and exactly when the bugged tickrate occurs. I also tried to develop something to automate this, which is what this post is about. I made a powershell script that can be run regularly (i run it every 15 minutes) which retrieves the default response from the webserver (which includes framerate, playersonline) and such, and use that to determine if the server's tickrate has bugged, and if it can be safely restarted (if no one is on).

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?qve3h8bgdh67t9m" target="_blank">http://www.mediafire.com/?qve3h8bgdh67t9m</a> is the link, any feedback is welcome.

On a separate note, it appears the tickrate bug occurs about 2 hrs in, and once it occurs the tickrate will bounce between certain common values. Once this happens all animations become very buggy and the game in general runs a lot less smooth. I made another script that queried the server once a second, and after being up for 1278 seconds the tickrate bugged, and it bounced between certain values, never again changing to a unique value (i monitored it for over 20,000 seconds).

Comments

• endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Without looking at the script, im just going to ask a question (lazily). Does it only restart the server if no one is on? If so, its probably smarter to just use a script to restart the server when the playercount goes BACK to 0, since that either means people have either left the server (horrible performance) or they are done for the night, and it should be restarted anyway.

I think he auto update mod had this functionality, but if you can write powershell im sure you can do it yourself.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It does only restart if empty, I had considered doing it that way at some point but I previously thought that the tickrate bug was about every 8 hours, in doing all this I found out it occurs a lot sooner.

The script doesnt really restart the server, although it could easily. It simply ends the process, I use another application to monitor and automatically restart crashed servers, so that brings it back up for me.