NS2 Progress

Comments

• culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    "Design task Remove energy transitioned from Unstarted to Accepted"

Whoa!

So I guess these will all be Tres costs now? Or perhaps comm/khamm switching for Pres will make a comeback?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I'm looking forward to the Shade and Alien Vision changes :)
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Build 210<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    Encourage multiple Hives/Command Stations (via economy)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm really skeptical reading this. Encourage multiple Hives for aliens? Definitively yes after all the recent changes.
    But why multiple command-stations, I don't see how this fits the role of marines. It would encourage building bases instead of fighting is my fear.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Energy experiments, Remove energy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> I'm really exited to see what you have in pipe here!
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Please for the love of God do not remove energy!
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1940875:date=Jun 1 2012, 03:44 PM:name=killer monkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killer monkey @ Jun 1 2012, 03:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please for the love of God do not remove energy!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why?
    I've always believed just p-res and t-res will make the game better. No need for energy(/spam'away!).
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I agree, I remember coming into NS 2 and having a difficulty grasping this whole '3-way resource' system, it's unnecessarily complex, not to mention the end result was that all three resources ended up lacking depth. (Because game features had to be adequately spread over multiple resources, and they needed to come up with new features as 'trade-offs') Just p.res and t.res, combined with maybe ability cooldowns on some abilities would be a much cleaner and simpler way to go about balancing the economy.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1940885:date=Jun 1 2012, 04:45 PM:name=Smasher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smasher @ Jun 1 2012, 04:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940885"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why?
    I've always believed just p-res and t-res will make the game better. No need for energy(/spam'away!).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Suddenly I feel dumb I thought it meant the alien player energy :|
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1940888:date=Jun 1 2012, 11:02 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Jun 1 2012, 11:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree, I remember coming into NS 2 and having a difficulty grasping this whole '3-way resource' system, it's unnecessarily complex, not to mention the end result was that all three resources ended up lacking depth. (Because game features had to be adequately spread over multiple resources, and they needed to come up with new features as 'trade-offs') Just p.res and t.res, combined with maybe ability cooldowns on some abilities would be a much cleaner and simpler way to go about balancing the economy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Mixing P-Res and T-Res is the biggest problem.

I still think energy as a resource is fine, as long as it is used like in almost any RTS, e.g. for "spells" only (like scan). It wouldn't be so confusing if NS2 would stick to a few simple rules: T-Res for structures, upgrades and units, T-res and/or energy for global and structure abilities*, P-Res for anything the field players purchase. Might as well rename T-Res and P-Res to Res once they are completely separate.

*Depending on the implications for the gameplay, abilities could cost T-Res, energy or both.
    Meds and ammo costing T-res creates a nice trade-off, either support an ongoing attack and gain territory now or retreat, save the res, tech-up and try with more force.
    Beacon works like renting multiple IPs for a short time, so a small T-Res cost along with energy is appropriate.
    Scan provides information and counters abilities that cost energy, so it should only cost energy as well.

Many things already work like that in NS2, but unfortunately there are still areas where resources are being mixed together for no apparent reason.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    "Design task Encourage multiple Hives/Command Stations (via economy) has appeared with status Started"

Finally! Great change.
    Increasing resource collection of the current nodes or just another resnode?
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    The removal of Energy and the 'Make Tech Points valuable' changes look very interesting to me. I'm just worried that P-res will be used for some comm abilities which breaks the separation of P-res/T-res and adds incnetive to switch comm/khamm during the game.

Can't wait to see how these changes are implemented.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Encourage multiple Hives/Command Stations (via economy)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NO! Stay away from multiple <u>Marine</u> commanders.

Stay with multiple Khammanders though because that creates a difference between Kharaa and Marines.

Personally, I think they should remove T-Res from Kharaa make everything require P-Res, that way the Kharaa do not have 1 commander through the whole game and actually have quite a few.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1941202:date=Jun 3 2012, 11:06 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Jun 3 2012, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941202"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NO! Stay away from multiple <u>Marine</u> commanders.

Stay with multiple Khammanders though because that creates a difference between Kharaa and Marines.

Personally, I think they should remove T-Res from Kharaa make everything require P-Res, that way the Kharaa do not have 1 commander through the whole game and actually have quite a few.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

??
    You can still only have one commander at the same time even though you have multiple hives/Command stations.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Not sure about multiple CCs though, imo there's already enough reason to get them provided you have the res for it. I like the asymmetry between marines and aliens in this regard, aliens do need multiple hives for best performance where as marines can be content with just one base.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    DejaVu:

Build 202 has appeared with status Unstarted
    :)
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1941202:date=Jun 3 2012, 05:06 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Jun 3 2012, 05:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941202"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NO! Stay away from multiple <u>Marine</u> commanders.
    Stay with multiple Khammanders though because that creates a difference between Kharaa and Marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I think they're just sticking with the one comm, they just want to encourage people to build more hives or cc's. Probably because it extends the life of a round, but there's less incentive for marines other than survival.

Perhaps extra command stations give a resource point bonus?

I actually like the idea of additional commanders, but with a limited number of tasks available to sub-commanders. Specifically I find as a marine commander I'm too busy researching and base building that I can't support multiple sets of front line troops. Having a second commander would make that more flexible, at the cost of removing a marine from the battlefield.

Actually - I can see a zillion ways two commanders could end up being a problem. Keep at one. ;)
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually like the idea of additional commanders, but with a limited number of tasks available to sub-commanders. Specifically I find as a marine commander I'm too busy researching and base building that I can't support multiple sets of front line troops. Having a second commander would make that more flexible, at the cost of removing a marine from the battlefield.

Actually - I can see a zillion ways two commanders could end up being a problem. Keep at one. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Glad you noticed yourself that this is pretty silly to even think about. Funny how some people start reading things like this between the lines.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Design task Change Lerk spikes to be shoot rapid-fire, low accuracy spikes in shotgun pattern has appeared with status Started<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Shotgunminigun?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lerk confirmed to upgrade to biological AA-12's
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    Focusing on multiple Command Center's/Hives is a great idea. It still doesn't mean the teams are the same as the rewards are completely different and the way you use them is usually different. Also means you have to earn your tech and control.

Problem I have is that the current build doesn't really focus on them in a real game changing way. Top tier alien life forms are still accessible from 1 Hive which just doesnt make sense. And you only get one extra tech move to research from an extra hive. Also you can't do completely different builds with different Hive's/CC's, its all just the same get everything and thats that. There is no variety.

Focus on multiple Hive's/CC's is good but it just hasnt gone nowhere near enough.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1947167:date=Jun 28 2012, 02:15 AM:name=GodofThunder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GodofThunder @ Jun 28 2012, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Top tier alien life forms are still accessible from 1 Hive which just doesnt make sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why not? We have past experience that tells us that it does make sense.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1947167:date=Jun 28 2012, 04:15 AM:name=GodofThunder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GodofThunder @ Jun 28 2012, 04:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Focusing on multiple Command Center's/Hives is a great idea. It still doesn't mean the teams are the same as the rewards are completely different and the way you use them is usually different. Also means you have to earn your tech and control.

Problem I have is that the current build doesn't really focus on them in a real game changing way. Top tier alien life forms are still accessible from 1 Hive which just doesnt make sense. And you only get one extra tech move to research from an extra hive. Also you can't do completely different builds with different Hive's/CC's, its all just the same get everything and thats that. There is no variety.

Focus on multiple Hive's/CC's is good but it just hasnt gone nowhere near enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We've had that before and it didn't work, so I like this solution as a compromise.
  • minimminim Join Date: 2009-05-14 Member: 67408Members
    Is the Pivotal Tracker down or did you disable the Progress Page?
  • minimminim Join Date: 2009-05-14 Member: 67408Members
    edited July 2012
    Still down, what gives?

Secrets?

Website overhaul?
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah its not working for me either. Whats up UWE?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1949618:date=Jul 7 2012, 01:03 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Jul 7 2012, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah its not working for me either. Whats up UWE?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They're working so furiously, they broke pivotal tracker. When they have time, they will fix :-)
    <!--quoteo(post=1949698:date=Jul 7 2012, 06:38 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jul 7 2012, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They're working so furiously, they broke pivotal tracker. When they have time, they will fix :-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I hope thats the case :P
    I miss you progress-tracker
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2012
    God i remember stalking that progress tracker before becoming a PT..

Edit: more teasing for you, crypt :-P
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119421&view=findpost&p=1951828" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1951828</a>
    Ironhorse why do you have to tease
    So what. Have they abandoned it for good now or what?