Tunngle?

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">What do you think?</div>What are your guy's thoughts on this. It is best described as lan gaming over vpn
<a href="http://www.tunngle.net/" target="_blank">http://www.tunngle.net/</a>

Comments

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    this software is used to play pirated games over the internet tricking the game into thinking its over LAN, so I don't know where you are going with this?
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1951572:date=Jul 14 2012, 04:52 PM:name=Jibrail)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jibrail @ Jul 14 2012, 04:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this software is used to play pirated games over the internet tricking the game into thinking its over LAN, so I don't know where you are going with this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

If you own the game, why do you need to trick it into thinking you're on a LAN? You aren't magically going to get any benefits just because the game thinks everyone else is local.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Or for playing old games that don't have proper online functionality.

--Scythe--
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I never thought of it for pirated games. It would work i guess. A dedicated server is always better. I just asked for your thoughts.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Seems similar to Hamachi
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1951622:date=Jul 14 2012, 09:06 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jul 14 2012, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1951622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or for playing old games that don't have proper online functionality.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is the optimistic view of it. Otherwise, its for pirating.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am guessing there is just a general consensus that this is pointless because if you have purchased the game you have access to the better dedicated servers
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    If you're talking about starting up your own server to just play with some friends, I'm confused about any proposed benefit to doing so by emulating lan.
    Just asked for thoughts. I am not using that service. I just found it and thought it was interesting.
  • AtamanAtaman Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155143Members
    Tunngle aswell as Hamachi are used for the following reasons:

a) Play pirated games (However: ANY VPN-Service would do the trick).
    b) Play old, really outdated games (Again: Any VPN-Service may work).
    c) Play purchased games online because somebody is not competent enough to open/forward his firewall/router-ports. (Also: Some games are just a pain in the ass to forward because they use over 10 different ports which is just stupid in my opinion).

Awesome games like NS2 shall not be pirated.
    NS2 is anything but old.
    Forwarding 2 Ports can be accomplished by anybody with a little help of Google. (If not, you're just lazy, sry).
    Thus nobody in this community should ever feel the slightest need for Tunngle or Hamachi.

My personal opinion on Tunngle/Hamachi: <b>Software used by pirates and lazy people.</b> (<1% legit users)
  • therake6therake6 Join Date: 2011-12-04 Member: 136544Members
    I used tunngle and hamachi to pirate killing floor <b>BEFORE I BOUGHT THE GAME AND ALL OF THE DLC</b>

Yeah it's for pirates, however I can see the benefit of using it like 10 years ago before people had things such as the steam server browser.

However its still for pirates
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1959774:date=Aug 9 2012, 04:17 PM:name=therake6)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (therake6 @ Aug 9 2012, 04:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959774"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->However its still for pirates<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well not entirely true, I used to play Company of Heroes a bit and we never were able to get the game to connect all 3 or 4 players correctly even with all ports open. So we had to resort to Hamachi, which made it possible for us to play the game with each other.

Now CoH is a different breed, I'm sure. A very oddball way of setting up servers and connection between players, thanks for that Relic... A game like NS2 that uses dedicated servers has a much more stable and robust way of connecting players to each other, so something like this is indeed redundant...
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    Why do people use Hamachi/Tunngle? Because developers move away from LAN support out of paranoid reasoning regarding piracy. Whether or not its used for pirating is a different matter, but lets face it, if people want to pirate a game, they will pirate a game. Cutting down features isn't the way to go. Just look at Blizzards stance with regards to starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I feel more like renting a product than owning a product. Imho don't start a witchhunt because of the mere possibility of pirating, to some people LAN support is a necessity. Just my thoughts.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1967452:date=Aug 28 2012, 10:42 AM:name=Keldorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Keldorn @ Aug 28 2012, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967452"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do people use Hamachi/Tunngle? Because developers move away from LAN support out of paranoid reasoning regarding piracy. Whether or not its used for pirating is a different matter, but lets face it, if people want to pirate a game, they will pirate a game. Cutting down features isn't the way to go. Just look at Blizzards stance with regards to starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I feel more like renting a product than owning a product. Imho don't start a witchhunt because of the mere possibility of pirating, to some people LAN support is a necessity. Just my thoughts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How does LAN support *over the internet* get you anything different then just connecting to a normal server? This really has nothing to do with pure lan support (if you and friends are on the same network). This lets you fake being on the same network... and I don't understand why that would be beneficial in any way.