NS2 Loads to black screen.

SlightSlight Join Date: 2011-06-29 Member: 107082Members
Bought NS2 back when the alpha came out, worked fine. Its been a year or so and I'm on the same computer with a new Graphics card.

Here's the log: <a href="http://pastebin.com/C561gUvN" target="_blank">http://pastebin.com/C561gUvN</a>

DxDiag isn't really necessary.

Things that didn't help:

Updating Drivers
Deleting AppData NS2 folder
Verifying Game Integrity Via Steam
UAC is off
NS2.exe is running as admin

I'm not reinstalling the game because verifying the game files does the same thing.

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1944252:date=Jun 17 2012, 11:42 PM:name=Slight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slight @ Jun 17 2012, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not reinstalling the game because verifying the game files does the same thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually it doesn't. All it does is try and verify the files are correct, which it often doesn't. Try deleting the game's cache completely and re-downloading. Chances are it should work fine.
  • SlightSlight Join Date: 2011-06-29 Member: 107082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1944277:date=Jun 17 2012, 07:36 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jun 17 2012, 07:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually it doesn't. All it does is try and verify the files are correct, which it often doesn't. Try deleting the game's cache completely and re-downloading. Chances are it should work fine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah in theory verify should do away with redownloading since that is its function in the first place: to check file hashes and missing files. But you seem to be right, its broke.

I redownloaded the stuff right after my post since nothing else worked and, whatdoyaknow, it works. Annoying but oh wells.
  • painrpainr Join Date: 2012-06-18 Member: 153388Members
    edited June 2012
    Having same problem. Tried to verify game files first and deleted whole game when verifying didnt work (even configs in appdata). Game still loads to black screen.

EDIT: Log file -> <a href="http://pastebin.com/2PamtfEG" target="_blank">http://pastebin.com/2PamtfEG</a>
  • InvictvsInvictvs Join Date: 2012-06-18 Member: 153390Members
    I'm getting the same issue. Purchased the game today, click to join a server it flips through all this wonderful concept art, while the console is giving me all of these fail to load/find errors. Ultimately, the screen goes black saying Beta Build (then some numbers.)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have a friend who wanted to play today with the same issue.
    Opened the game to a black screen, he could open the console and had the cursor.
  • DarrowDarrow Join Date: 2012-06-19 Member: 153445Members
    Hey, just bought the game aswell.

Same problem, i hear sounds can open the console but cannot see anything or do anything.

Using ATI Graphic card, and i've reinstalled and verified cache.

Please fix
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So I just ran into this problem on my laptop. Essentially, Steam popped up saying it was fiddling with my NS2 files and after it finished NS2 loaded with a blackscreen and this spammed in console:
    ID3DXEffectCompiler: Compilation Failed
    ID3DXEffectCompiler: There were no techniques

To fix it I had to do the following:
    - Deleted local content for NS2 via steam
    - Deleted the NS2 folder in the AppData directory (e.g. \AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2)
    - Deleted the NS2 folder in the Steam directory (e.g. \Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2)
    - Redownloaded NS2

It seems the 'Delete local content' option in Steam doesn't fully get rid of all NS2 files, which is why I needed to manually delete those others.
  • PithlitPithlit Join Date: 2003-05-07 Member: 16120Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Having exactly the same problems as the guys posting the logs above.
    Mine says exactly the same, also having tried to verify, reinstall and delete appdata, nothing has helped.

Problem occured first since steam has converted the files into something more effiecient as it said.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1946148:date=Jun 23 2012, 01:44 PM:name=Pithlit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pithlit @ Jun 23 2012, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946148"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having exactly the same problems as the guys posting the logs above.
    Mine says exactly the same, also having tried to verify, reinstall and delete appdata, nothing has helped.

Problem occured first since steam has converted the files into something more effiecient as it said.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Did you delete the NS2 folders in both the appdata and steam directory before reinstalling? You might also try restarting before you try reinstalling NS2.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1946150:date=Jun 23 2012, 12:55 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jun 23 2012, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you delete the NS2 folders in both the appdata and steam directory before reinstalling? You might also try restarting before you try reinstalling NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can confirm this fixed a black screen error I had as well.
  • AlienamiAlienami Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68370Members
    edited June 2012
    I fixed my brothers by deleting the AppData folder and the Shaders folders in Steam (yes, two), then verified files twice.

I figured this out by checking the log file in the AppData folder referencing "shaders" not loading, so I did the math. Hope it works for others and saves them from having to re-download and re-install.

However, on my PC this method didn't work. I'm doing the full clean reinstall method to see if that does it or if there is something else going on.

Edit: This isn't going well.. black screen has won. I've tried everything talked about on the forums, I've tried everything I can think of- no matter how simple or dumb or insane- short of formatting my computer... I just...give up. (Yes, nVidia settings are to default/off. Tried running all the .exe's as Admin and Win 7 and XP. A million other things I've tired also. Nothing works.)

Whatever you guys did on steam to "optimize" your game...<i>yeah</i>...<b><u>no</u></b>.

For the record, I am getting no error messages on screen or in the log files, dxdiag is fine. Everything seems fine...except it isn't...black screen, windows crosshair working status, program not responding...

Also, it fails to generate what I assume is proper files in AppData, example it just lists the build, no settings to edit.

<b>System_options file contents: </b>

<options>
    <system>
    <build>210</build>
    <runs>1</runs>
    </system>
    </options>

<b>Log.txt contents:</b>

Date: 06/24/12
    Time: 05:22:19
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 210
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 (8.17.13.142)
    Updating of mods is complete.

<b>cache folder contents 3 files:</b>

shaders_Deferred_shader_template_shaders_Level_alpha_surface_shader.cached_surfa
    ce_shader
    shaders_Deferred_shader_template_shaders_Level_emissive_surface_shader.cached_su
    rface_shader
    shaders_Deferred_shader_template_shaders_Level_surface_shader.cached_surface_sha
    der

I tried pasting my brothers AppData folder which seems whole, no change in symptoms, I'm just going to logoff and check back when I wake up...but I get the strong feeling I am going to have to wait until the next build comes out to be able to play.
  • piloukpilouk Join Date: 2012-06-26 Member: 153695Members
    edited June 2012
    I got the same problem ! cannot fix it

dxdiag -> <a href="http://pastebin.com/wQMuLi40" target="_blank">http://pastebin.com/wQMuLi40</a>
  • urinalcakeurinalcake Can&#39;t work a sound card United States Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7799Members
    I've been having this issue ever since I upgraded from Build 209 to Build 210.
    At first, I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting inis, upgrading my drivers and nothing worked.

This problem has been reported here: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118814&st=0&p=1943049&" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...;p=1943049&</a>
    and here: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118900" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=118900</a>

I have had the same problem for many, many weeks.. it will load into just a black screen, and on Win7, I have the spinning loading icon, nothing else.
    However, I am trying the above solution.. deleting the ns2 folders in appdata/roaming and steam/steamapps/common after having uninstalled.

I am reinstalling now, and will report my progress when I return.
  • urinalcakeurinalcake Can&#39;t work a sound card United States Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7799Members
    edited June 2012
    Okay, so deleting both folders, NS2 and reinstalling did not work.
    I'm out of options or ideas, I feel like I've tried everything.

Also, this occurs on my laptop as well, which makes it double-frustrating for somebody who has played reliably for 138 hours.

EDIT: Verifying game cache did not work either.

Log:
    Date: 06/26/12
    Time: 20:24:09
    Build 210
    RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra (8.17.12.9610)
    Updating of mods is complete.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTEK COMPUTER INC
    System Model: P5W DH Deluxe
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/17/09 20:04:53 Ver: 08.00.12
    Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8800 Ultra
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 2020 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 741 MB
    Shared Memory: 1279 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Driver Version: 8.17.12.9610
    Alright, this is starting to frustrate me pretty hardcore.
    With Build 212, same results.

I spoke with Max over Twitter, and he stated that our logs look like this because we have downloaded mods before Steam Workshop was out.
    I've <b>never</b> installed a mod or a custom map or messed with any of the Game LUA or anything. Also, I started having this problem in 210, when the Menu was changed significantly.
    Okay, it has been almost 2 weeks and I'm still having this. Tried to reinstall game multiple times while deleting ALL files I could possibly find. I also recently reinstalled windows because of other issues. And after downloading NS2 again, it still gives me black screen. FIX THIS.
    edited June 2012
    This is in response to Max's request on Twitter.

Date: 06/28/12
    Time: 20:27:19
    Build 212
    RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra (8.17.12.9610)
    Updating of subscribed mods is complete (not subscribed to any mods).
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I think there is a little confusion here because the black screen is not caused by the same thing for everyone in this thread.

To <b>painr</b> and anyone else who has a log file that looks like this:

<a href="http://pastebin.com/2PamtfEG" target="_blank">http://pastebin.com/2PamtfEG</a>

That's caused by the game not reading the correct files. You can test this by typing in the console:

which shaders/GUISystem.shader_template

It should say:

shaders/GUISystem.shader_template is being loaded from C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection2\core

The path will vary if Steam is installed somewhere else, but it's critical that this is actually the Steam path and not some other directory on your hard drive. If it is your Steam path, open up the file at C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection2\core\shaders\GUISystem.shader_template and make sure it's not empty. Or better yet post it here.

This was the issue that Alienami had which he solved by deleting the duplicate copy of the shaders directory that was in his appdata directory.

To <b>urinalcake</b> and others who don't have anything in their log:

This is a more difficult problem to diagnose since there aren't any error messages. I think we can rule out a graphics card issue since you have almost identical hardware to me with the same driver installed. If you have already deleted %appdata%\Natural Selection 2 and reinstalled through Steam it also doesn't seem like a Steam install problem. Just to make sure can you run at the command line:

dir /s "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2" > listing.txt

And then send the listing.txt file to me at max@unknownworlds.com?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    How long do you guys wait at the black screen? I've seen it go black for probably 15 seconds before the game comes up.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited June 2012
    For some users it seems that deleting the %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ Folder first before deleting and reinstalling NS2 Via steam will work.
    For some unknown reason the game for some users would not create required files in the appdata directory and of course recent changes to the game and config files means an incompatibility of older config files from previous versions.

Why deleting %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ alone does not work is unclear and why after deleting it and then re-downloading the game, it then begins to work.. is just even more puzzling.

As Max said there is 2 or 3 different issues going on here causing almost the same problem.
    @Zek: Longest I waited about 35 minutes, took my dog for a walk and came back.
    @SgtBarlow: I'll give it a try man, thanks!
    <!--quoteo(post=1947987:date=Jun 30 2012, 11:07 AM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ Jun 30 2012, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For some users it seems that deleting the %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ Folder first before deleting and reinstalling NS2 Via steam will work.
    For some unknown reason the game for some users would not create required files in the appdata directory and of course recent changes to the game and config files means an incompatibility of older config files from previous versions.

Why deleting %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ alone does not work is unclear and why after deleting it and then re-downloading the game, it then begins to work.. is just even more puzzling.

As Max said there is 2 or 3 different issues going on here causing almost the same problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, just tried deleting AppData first, then uninstalling, and reinstalling, no dice there.
    Nope, GUISystem.shader_template definitely isnt empty.

<a href="http://pastebin.com/Ma71nCGJ" target="_blank">http://pastebin.com/Ma71nCGJ</a>
  • KENMANKENMAN Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21910Members
    I have attempted all of the above methods mentioned and it still will not work. My log file only includes the name of my graphics card. I attempted the method that Max suggested with the listing.txt but nothing happened. No listing file was created or found. I hope someone finds a solution soon.
  • KENMANKENMAN Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21910Members
    edited July 2012
    Computer Specs
    Intel Q6700
    4gb DDR2
    Nvidia 9800gtx+
    Intel MOBO

Game was running fine and i have been playing since first alpha release. Had to uninstalled a could months ago. Attempting to reinstall.

above methods did not work. Log file has nothing in it. I am unable to create a listing.txt.

here is my log file: <a href="http://pastebin.com/uBNLD8wY" target="_blank">http://pastebin.com/uBNLD8wY</a>

here is System options xml: <a href="http://pastebin.com/ESdiBkLh" target="_blank">http://pastebin.com/ESdiBkLh</a>
  • Draknar95Draknar95 Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159573Members
    There are two things that could be going on here, I have had both and fixed them! so hopeful this can help all of you.
    If you are just getting a black screen with a cursor and sound then i suggest you check your log located at %appdata% natural selection 2 If you log says anything error related its highly likely your files have become corrupted this has h append a lot since steam updated the game the only fix is to re-download them.
    If you are just getting a black screen with sound but no cursor and you log seems fine they it is probably to do with your screen res. By default when the game starts up it will always run in 1080-800 so if you screen is smaller or bigger than this then it won't load the visuals i fixed this by switching to windowed mode in game by pressing alt enter for some reason the game won't start up in windowed mode.

Check log and re-install if any errors.
    Alt enter when you here the sound.

-hope this helps if not post
  • gubertgubert Join Date: 2010-08-09 Member: 73545Members
    I did the command Max suggested in checking if the path to shaders is correct, and instead of pointing to core folder, it pointed to ns2 folder. My installation has both ns2 folder and core folder, and there seems to be overlapping files. The files in the core folder are newer. I copied the files in core/shaders over the files in ns2/shaders, and now the game starts. I'm not very convinced though that my installation is very solid now, game still loads shaders from the wrong folder. In what file is that configured in? The core folder also contains folders lua and fonts. Should I copy them over the ones in ns2 folder as well? Maybe I'll try reinstalling later, my internet is just so slow I don't want to do it if not necessary.
  • beo6beo6 Join Date: 2012-09-12 Member: 159128Members
    edited September 2012
    Hi everyone. i got the exact same problem.

I got some errors like <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Error: Couldn't load 'shaders/GUISystem.shader_template' (Error document empty.)
    Error: Couldn't load 'shaders/Deferred.shader_template' (Error document empty.)
    ID3DXEffectCompiler: Compilation failed

Error: Couldn't load shader 'shaders/Level.surface_shader' for material 'materials/refinery/refinery_wall_01.material'
    ID3DXEffectCompiler: Compilation failed<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Errors in the Log-File in the "C:\Users\#USERNAME#\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2" Folder.

But as i have a crappy internet connection i didn´t wanted to download the whole game again i tried the following which worked really nice:

i only deleted the files inside the cache folder inside the AppData Folder mentioned above (C:\Users\#USERNAME#\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\cache)
    and deleted the "L:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\shaders" Folder.

Then i verified the cache inside Steam.
    Steam downloaded some small files again and now the game works without any black screen.

Not sure if it was needed to remove both but at least it works without downloading everything again.

Thanks for giving the hints inside this thread.
  • HappyFlappsHappyFlapps Join Date: 2011-12-01 Member: 136087Members
    I had this problem once on my old Vista system and I was able to fix it by simply uninstalling and reinstalling NS2. I now have a new Win7 Pro (64-bit) system and I just reinstalled Steam and then Natural Selection and I'm dealing with the persistent black screen of death. I've tried every trick in this thread to get the problem to go away, but nothing helps. My other Steam games run fine, but after many, <i>many</i> uninsntalls and reinstalls, tweaking, testing, etc., I'm feeling rather miffed that this is happening so close to the official release date. I just dropped $1,400 bucks to upgrade my system so I could be competitive in this game and now I'm worried others will be forced to suffer through the same buyer's remorse I'm dealing with.

For what it's worth, after a clean Steam uninstall of NS2 with a manual removal of the following directories:

C:\Users\<NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2

...And then a reinstall via Steam, I reproduced the bug. Here's a fresh copy of the first part of the error log.

Date: 10/29/12
    Time: 22:26:17
    Build 225
    Steam initialized
    Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (9.18.13.697)
    Error: Direct3DDevice::Unable to create default shader
    Error: Direct3DDevice::Unable to create screen shader
    Error: Direct3DDevice::Unable to create default shader
    Error: Direct3DDevice::Unable to create screen shader
    Sound Device: Headset (Playback) (Creative USB Headset) stereo
    Record Device: Headset (Record) (Creative USB Headset)
    Error: Mod wasn't available
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Error: Couldn't load shader 'shaders/Level.surface_shader' for material 'materials/refinery/refinery_wall_01.material'
    Error: Couldn't load shader 'shaders/Level.surfac

Lots of "...shader wasn't available" messages after that ending with the following string:

"Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist."

PLEASE FIX THIS - I'm getting the shakes from not having my daily NS2 fix!
  • HappyFlappsHappyFlapps Join Date: 2011-12-01 Member: 136087Members
    Wow - After MUCH searching and further testing, I found a thread that suggested I do the following:

<i>Run DXSETUP.exe at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\redist\DirectX</i>

Immediately after running DXSETUP.exe, all works as expected (*me head-palms self).

Since this problem appears to be so prevalent, maybe UWE should try and detect this BSOD (Black-Screen-Of-Death) situation at the first instance of runtime and throw an infobox that alerts the user to the problem and the potential fix(es) for it? Your gaming public will thank you.
This discussion has been closed.