Setting up NS2 Servers B212 SteamCMD

Sr LanceSr Lance Rhythm is a Lancer Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32862Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
edited June 2012 in Server Discussion
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can no longer update the server via hlds server tools, you will now need to use SteamCMD.

<b>Windows File Location for SteamCMD:</b>
<a href="http://blog.counter-strike.net/wp-content/uploads//2012/04/steamcmd.zip" target="_blank">http://blog.counter-strike.net/wp-content/...04/steamcmd.zip</a>

<b>/!\ Updated /!\ Using app_update 4940 - will download dedicated server files and will not require a copy of NS2 for the account</b>

<b>Setup Instructions:</b>
- Extract SteamCMD to a folder
- Run steamcmd.exe

SteamCMD should now start updating and download the files to the same location where steamcmd.exe is located.

To download the NS2 Dedicated files using SteamCmd you will need to use steam login credentials:

-Run steamcmd.exe

Type the following:

Replace <username> and <password> with your steam username and password
login <username> <password>

If this is the first time using steamCmd on the machine you will need to enter your security code, check your email account attached to steam and use the following command.

set_steam_guard_code <your code here>

Then do:
login <username> <password>

<b>Installing NS2 Files:</b>

Type the following:
force_install_dir c:\server Location
app_update 4940 validate

SteamCmd should now download the files to the location listed above.

<b>Auto Update:</b>

create a text file:

login <steam username> <steam password>
force_install_dir c:\server Location
app_update 4940 validate
exit

And under steamCMD +runscript textFileName.txt<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Example:
<a href="https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive_Dedicated_Servers" target="_blank">https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Co...dicated_Servers</a>

Comments

• devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2012
    Note that you currently need an account with NS2 on it to download the files. And logging in with SteamCMD will log out your client.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    Thanks for info :D
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2012
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1947480:date=Jun 28 2012, 06:39 PM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Jun 28 2012, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Note that you currently need an account with NS2 on it to download the files. And logging in with SteamCMD will log out your client.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is not acceptable for GSP's at all. I don't see the need for me to purchase another copy of NS2 just to keep my customers servers up-to-date. And no I will not link my own personal account to my customers servers as I don't wish to be logged out when they go and update their servers.

Please provide a better solution or just go back to HLDSupdatetool as it was easy and worked very well.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    So.. What motivated this change? To me, it seems like a step backwards. What upsides does this approach have over the previous?
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can no longer update the server via hlds server tools, you will now need to use SteamCMD.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why?
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1947498:date=Jun 28 2012, 07:58 PM:name=invTempest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (invTempest @ Jun 28 2012, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is not acceptable for GSP's at all. I don't see the need for me to purchase another copy of NS2 just to keep my customers servers up-to-date. And no I will not link my own personal account to my customers servers as I don't wish to be logged out when they go and update their servers.

Please provide a better solution or just go back to HLDSupdatetool as it was easy and worked very well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, believe me, I do know what GSPs need to run servers, and have already spoken with the developers about it. They are talking to Valve, who are ultimately the ones that need to enable it.

It seems that NS2 already has a separate appid for the dedicated server, it's just not working properly. Obviously, I can't make any promises about how this will end up working, but they are trying.

I get the feeling that going from hldsupdatetool->steamcmd is a one-way trip. It's basically going from Steam v2 to Steam v3, downgrading is probably not possible.

There's plenty of other games using steamcmd that offer dedicated servers, and they seem to be dealing with ok.

For now, you can easily download the update on one account, and zip it up to apply to servers. Shouldn't be too hard to do, and will definitely work until a better solution is found.
    <!--quoteo(post=1947502:date=Jun 28 2012, 08:06 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Jun 28 2012, 08:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So.. What motivated this change? To me, it seems like a step backwards. What upsides does this approach have over the previous?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The developers now have more control over patches. They can publish patches at any time, without having to send them to Valve. The patches are also smaller, because you're only downloading changes to the files. The patches also download quicker, because the files are coming off the <a href="http://www.highwinds.com/news/?p=115" target="_blank">Highwinds CDN</a> instead of random content servers.

<!--quoteo(post=1947503:date=Jun 28 2012, 08:07 PM:name=Security)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Security @ Jun 28 2012, 08:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    See above.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    For the record, we have not made this change for ###### and giggles.

There are real, tangible benefits to moving to Steam3 that will shine throughout the coming months. We understand this teething problem is extremely frustrating to server operators and we are actively working with Valve to make sure that eventually, the system works well for everyone.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I'm sure you guys will get everything sorted out with valve shortly. I'm glad to hear this is just a minor issue with the way the app_id's are set for NS2 and not something that was designed this way by steam (server files should always be free).

Just another bump in the road with light at the end of the tunnel.
  • PvtHudsonPvtHudson Join Date: 2012-06-23 Member: 153603Members
    So if I am reading this correctly this must be done by the GSP? I cant do anything with FTP access to the server?
    <!--quoteo(post=1947547:date=Jun 28 2012, 09:57 PM:name=PvtHudson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PvtHudson @ Jun 28 2012, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947547"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if I am reading this correctly this must be done by the GSP? I cant do anything with FTP access to the server?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depends on your provider. If they allow you to upload exe/dll files I suppose you could upload an entirely new copy of the server. Otherwise, there's not really a lot you can do.
  • JeremiadJeremiad Join Date: 2007-09-17 Member: 62339Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow, Valve finally did something for hlds update tools. Login process will be dropped out when game is published to steam store?
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    I've figure out a way to auto-update it. I'll pust a tutorial as soon as possible without being home, instead you'll use your smart phone :)
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Time for a dedicated server forum yet?
  • Sr LanceSr Lance Rhythm is a Lancer Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32862Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <b>Update:</b>
    UWE have contacted Valve and now dedicated server files no longer require a copy of NS2 on the steam account.

Just need to use app_update 4940

Already provided information on auto update see first post:
    Great news! This was the biggest hurdle so far with the new system. Things should be smooth sailing now...
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    So what's up with the new restriction of having to disclose your Steam-login credentials in order to download/update the server? I just don't get it. Are there people stealing and pirating your gamefiles or what?
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1948000:date=Jul 1 2012, 02:41 AM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Jul 1 2012, 02:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So what's up with the new restriction of having to disclose your Steam-login credentials in order to download/update the server? I just don't get it. Are there people stealing and pirating your gamefiles or what?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you read the whole thread, you'd realise you don't have to anymore.
    Actually you still need to use a steam account, but it doesn't require natural selection 2. I just made a new steam account, with no games attached.
    <!--quoteo(post=1948117:date=Jul 1 2012, 03:52 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Jul 1 2012, 03:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually you still need to use a steam account, but it doesn't require natural selection 2. I just made a new steam account, with no games attached.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can use your main steam account, you don't need to created a new steam account. The identification code is required only once.
    <!--quoteo(post=1948165:date=Jul 1 2012, 06:47 AM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Jul 1 2012, 06:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can use your main steam account, you don't need to created a new steam account. The identification code is required only once.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should create a new account, unless you like both of the following:

1) Being logged out of steam whenever you try to update a server
    2) Having your main account username/password available to anyone with access to your server
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1948440:date=Jul 2 2012, 06:08 PM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Jul 2 2012, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should create a new account, unless you like both of the following:

1) Being logged out of steam whenever you try to update a server
    2) Having your main account username/password available to anyone with access to your server<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) Wrong, I have multi servers and it doesn't make my main steam account logged out.
    2) Agree for security reasons if that's the case.
  • Sr LanceSr Lance Rhythm is a Lancer Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32862Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1948445:date=Jul 2 2012, 01:30 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Jul 2 2012, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) Wrong, I have multi servers and it doesn't make my main steam account logged out.
    2) Agree for security reasons if that's the case.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It does log you out of your current steam account if you use the same one. I have tried this several times and its documented.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2012
    Right, so..

I just tried to start up SteamCmd to update my server to 213/214, but it's impossible for me to even get this far.

SteamCmd keeps trying to update itself and fails, getting stuck at a random % number (usually around 40-80%, never got over 90% so far), from where it can't seem to download anymore, repeating itself forever.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[ 67%] Downloading update <8,083 of 12,016 KB>...
    [ 67%] Downloading update <8,083 of 12,016 KB>...
    [ 67%] Downloading update <8,083 of 12,016 KB>...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've tried it on my own system too, with same results.

Extremely frustrating. It probably wasn't such a good idea to use a tool so new and bug-ridden right away. :/
    SteamCMD is currently working fine, please make sure you have extracted the files to a writable directory with administrative permissions and that SteamCMD isnt blocked by any firewall. You must also make sure you are not logged into the same steam account used to update your servers with.
    <!--quoteo(post=1950910:date=Jul 12 2012, 11:42 AM:name=Sr Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sr Lance @ Jul 12 2012, 11:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950910"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SteamCMD is currently working fine, please make sure you have extracted the files to a writable directory with administrative permissions and that SteamCMD isnt blocked by any firewall. You must also make sure you are not logged into the same steam account used to update your servers with.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I of course made sure about that. I tried a number of things to make sure that the problem is not on my side.
    And I didnt even get far enough to login, as it was SteamCmd itself getting stuck while trying to update itself.

I eventually got the update to finish after countless tries. Pretty sure its some sort of bug in SteamCmd and/or the corresponding update servers.