Who hasn't played NS1 before?

Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
Just as a point of interest, I was wondering if there are a lot of players who have never played NS1 before?

I'm just wondering because it seems like there is a bunch of people who jump into NS2 with some precursor knowledge of NS1 and can adapt strategies and techniques to the game. Then there are groups of people who just don't seem to know anything at all. I would assume that everyone who has played NS1 would have a good grasp of how NS2 works but it never really occurred to me there could be a large population of people who have never been exposed to NS at all.

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    While I suspect the majority of the (beta) playerbase has played NS1 before, its not uncommon to run into people who haven't. Also, I'd expect many more non-NS1 players to join after the v1.0 release.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Rezzed might have attracted more people who haven't heard of NS1, and NS2 was really popular there.
  • Jer9-CarverJer9-Carver Join Date: 2011-02-07 Member: 80728Members
    edited July 2012
    You could say I was quite a newbie to NS1 when I started NS2. ^^ I've only played a few matches in NS1 to see what it was all about. I think my first impression was that it was a lot more confusing than NS2. Either way, The first matches can be quite confusing due it's not like a standard fps, you don't just do your own thing like in BF3 or TF2. I'd say that if you have a basic knowledge about RTS and FPS games it makes the game a lot more easier to comprehend. Now since it's been a while since my first work day in NS2, I can't tell much about it, but I do know the reactions of my friends (who never played NS1 before) who I've been dragging into the game. They are usually utterly clueless, not knowing what to do, where to go and other understandable things. Through my experience I've learned that they learn the game a lot faster if you're their commander and tell them what to do and how stuff works, than when you are with them at the battlefield. (Probably because when you're on the battlefield you're following the commanders orders and they are just tagging along.) So even though tutorials might help a bit in understanding the game, the true learning experience happens when they are taught how to play by the community and by just playing it.

But yeah, once the game hits on steam the game will probably see a lot more new players.
  • Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
    Would it be a good idea to try to develop (Either as a community or by the devs) a tutorial that explains how the games work? Perhaps something similar to HL's Hazard course. I think NS had something like this back in the day...
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1950631:date=Jul 11 2012, 07:02 PM:name=Death_by_bullets)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Death_by_bullets @ Jul 11 2012, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950631"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would it be a good idea to try to develop (Either as a community or by the devs) a tutorial that explains how the games work? Perhaps something similar to HL's Hazard course. I think NS had something like this back in the day...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS did not have a tutorial. UWE is working on one for NS2, though. So no worries, it'll be made.