Hit detection

1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Is it client side</div>What the title says, I for one very often get shot by marines who are facing away from me or bitten by skulks who are a good 4 metres distant. This happens as much on servers where I get 40ms ping as on ones where I get 100ms, clientside hit detection combined with wonky networking seems the simplest explanation but I lack the knowledge to make such a statement, hence I ask.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    A fun thing to try:
    Backup your player.lua
    Change this line:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->// The 3rd person model angle is lagged behind the first person view angle a bit.
    // This is how fast it turns to catch up. Radians per second.
    local kTurnDelaySpeed = 8<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

To a higher number.
    Save.
    Run a lan game with cheats 1 in console.
    Type thirdperson as a marine and try "snap shotting" or twitch aim and see how far behind the 3rd person model trails from your actual input.
    This is more than likely what is going on in the particular scenario you describe, when you get shot from the side, as it's this delay + interpolation + latency, <b>i think.</b>

dont forget to set it back to to the default 8 or just delete it and use your backup :)
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    the problem is the servers run at a really low tickrate. poor performance effects the hit detection too.