Steam Workshop How-To

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1944514:date=Jun 18 2012, 08:08 AM:name=MetaMatt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MetaMatt @ Jun 18 2012, 08:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, that's the symptom. You're doing everything correctly -- the underlying problem is that the downloading of workshop mods requires Steam, so people just using the hldsupdatetool can't possibly retrieve the workshop files. I'm going to try to get in touch with Valve and see if something can be done with hldsupdatetool to accommodate workshop mods (but that would almost certainly take at least a little bit of time, pending they even decide to support it), otherwise, I'm going to see if we can get build 211 out a little sooner than planned so that I can at least restore the ability to copy mods manually for now in the case where no Steam is available. Sorry, guys!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If Valve doesn't/isn't planning to support this, is there a way to lock down each posted mod to one version? The issue I foresee is that the mod developer updates the mod after a server owner manually updates his local server version. Then when a player joins, the server tells his client to download a newer version of the mod than the server is running, leading to lots of 'client and server differ' errors or broken maps.
  • MetaMattMetaMatt Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147913Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1944677:date=Jun 18 2012, 07:14 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Jun 18 2012, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What part of steam needs to be running? Can it run on any account, and does it need to be logged in? I'll try tonight and post back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Steam running with any account that has access to the mods specified in the server settings should work (in other words, it needs NS2 and the mods you are using should generally be public -- you do not have to be subscribed to the mods).

<!--quoteo(post=1944716:date=Jun 18 2012, 09:12 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jun 18 2012, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The issue I foresee is that the mod developer updates the mod after a server owner manually updates his local server version. Then when a player joins, the server tells his client to download a newer version of the mod than the server is running, leading to lots of 'client and server differ' errors or broken maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, that's exactly what we're afraid of. In the end, manual updates just won't cut it and I don't think I'll ever settle for that unless we exhaust absolutely all other options. People creating mods should be able to update as frequently as they see fit, and people running servers shouldn't have to be manually copying over their mods every single time one of the mods they are using is updated. We all want Natural Selection 2 to be the most modable and the most modded game, and hopefully there's some way to get the Steam Workshop to operate just the way we want it so that this will actually be the case.

<!--quoteo(post=1944716:date=Jun 18 2012, 09:12 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jun 18 2012, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1944716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If Valve doesn't/isn't planning to support this, is there a way to lock down each posted mod to one version?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd like to avoid something as drastic as that as I don't think that preventing mod creators from updating their mods is good for anyone. That'd just be sort of a duct-tape solution and it would make it annoying for people running servers to stay up-to-date with the latest version of a given mod. Hopefully we can just get Workshop mods working with something like hldsupdatetool, but again, that's not something <i>we</i> can do (hopefully Valve has a solution they can provide). For now, I've already made it so that if the Workshop can't be accessed, it falls back to just using the manually copied-over mods, so at least in 211 mods will still be usable on servers without access to the Workshop.

At this point, I can only suggest to mod creators to not frequently update their mods until this is resolved. To people running servers, I know it sucks, but I won't be giving up on this. I'll keep you guys posted as to the state of things, but ideally, everything should be 100% automatic before the game is out of beta. Unfortunately there's no quick-fix to this problem.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1943607:date=Jun 15 2012, 10:17 PM:name=Huze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huze @ Jun 15 2012, 10:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here's how it works for me, it happens every time.
    <ol type='1'><li>Queue a mod to download before launching the game</li><li>Launch the game (I've only tried this with my two insight mods so far, not vanilla NS2)</li><li>Create a server</li><li>You should get an error that you can't create a server until the mod finishes downloading</li><li>Wait until the mods are finished downloading</li><li>Create a server - this hangs forever on "Loading....."</li><li>The game process still runs even after closing NS2 (Depending on how you close it)</li><li>Stop the NS2 process with task manager</li><li>Game now works fine</li></ol>
    <a href="http://i.imgur.com/09AyT.png" target="_blank">Here is my console log</a> from when it hangs forever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm also getting this. My mod is only one file and I can't create a server the first time I launch NS2 with it (when it's updating mods), it works the second time around.
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1945536:date=Jun 21 2012, 06:22 AM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ Jun 21 2012, 06:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm also getting this. My mod is only one file and I can't create a server the first time I launch NS2 with it (when it's updating mods), it works the second time around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have the same problem except the second time around, after the slow loading screen it goes back to the main menu and window pops up saying "File not found" ...
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2012
    I tried unsubscribing my mod from Steam Workshop, and when I start NS2 again, the map is still listed when I want to create a server - even though there is no map of the same name in the directory where all the official maps are.
    edited June 2012
    After some more testing (after verifying the integrity of the game cache on Steam), I found that I can't create a server with any of the Steam Workshop maps - all of them bring up the 'file not found' message. It still works with the official maps, the version is confirmed 210.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1945672:date=Jun 21 2012, 11:55 AM:name=zombiehellmonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zombiehellmonkey @ Jun 21 2012, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945672"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tried unsubscribing my mod from Steam Workshop, and when I start NS2 again, the map is still listed when I want to create a server - even though there is no map of the same name in the directory where all the official maps are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Workshop mods/maps are downloaded to your \AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop folder rather than Steam folder. I suspect that unsubscribing just means that Steam Workshop stops updating that map rather than delete the file. Try deleting the folder for the map manually then see if it shows up in NS2.
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1945788:date=Jun 21 2012, 10:58 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jun 21 2012, 10:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945788"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Workshop mods/maps are downloaded to your \AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop folder rather than Steam folder. I suspect that unsubscribing just means that Steam Workshop stops updating that map rather than delete the file. Try deleting the folder for the map manually then see if it shows up in NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I deleted all the files and they stopped showing up. Then I resubscribed to the mods on steam workshop, restarted ns2, and waited until all the mods were downloaded, but when I try to create a server, once again it shows "File not found". I verified that the updated map files were in the \AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\Workshop folder. I restarted NS2 a couple of times and still the same result.
    My most subscribed map on Steam Workshop is no longer listed on the front page of 'Most Popular'.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    I have the same issue. NS2 does not find the file supplied by SW to create a game.
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    I keep getting the error "cannot publish: unable to archive" it works when i click test mod.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Doesnt seem like server autodownloading of mods is working in 212. I can get the server to start with the mods copied up after downloading them locally, but if i try to join the server i get file not found.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Yea still getting the same. I take it this has been put on hold until steamCmd can also handle workshop mods?
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hello!

I'm with the last vercion my map, ns2_triad, I want to know: How I name my map? sn2_triad_beta2, with changes vercion (beta3) in the details of the mod. Or should I make a new mod named ns2_triad, with changes vercion (beta3) in the details of the mod?
  • MetaMattMetaMatt Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147913Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hey guys,

I couldn't work on NS2 for the past couple of weeks for personal reasons. I'm working on fixing bugs that have creeped up in the meantime. There are quite a few so be patient.

<!--quoteo(post=1945670:date=Jun 21 2012, 02:49 PM:name=zombiehellmonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zombiehellmonkey @ Jun 21 2012, 02:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have the same problem except the second time around, after the slow loading screen it goes back to the main menu and window pops up saying "File not found" ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll check it out.

<!--quoteo(post=1945672:date=Jun 21 2012, 02:55 PM:name=zombiehellmonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zombiehellmonkey @ Jun 21 2012, 02:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945672"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tried unsubscribing my mod from Steam Workshop, and when I start NS2 again, the map is still listed when I want to create a server - even though there is no map of the same name in the directory where all the official maps are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mods are stored in a separate directory entirely. You are allowed to have mods installed but not subscribed in that directory (this most commonly happens when you join a server that is playing a workshop level, in which case the game will download it but not subscribe to it). Now that the mods menu is in, you should see the subscription status there, although there is not yet a button to fully delete a mod.

<!--quoteo(post=1947602:date=Jun 29 2012, 12:43 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jun 29 2012, 12:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947602"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doesnt seem like server autodownloading of mods is working in 212. I can get the server to start with the mods copied up after downloading them locally, but if i try to join the server i get file not found.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll try to reproduce this.

<!--quoteo(post=1947011:date=Jun 27 2012, 02:25 PM:name=ssjyoda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ssjyoda @ Jun 27 2012, 02:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I keep getting the error "cannot publish: unable to archive" it works when i click test mod.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have a way to reproduce it on other machines?

I doubt you are out of hard drive space, but that is also a possibility.

<!--quoteo(post=1948400:date=Jul 2 2012, 11:39 AM:name=[=Alex=])--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([=Alex=] @ Jul 2 2012, 11:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Hello!

I'm with the last vercion my map, ns2_triad, I want to know: How I name my map? sn2_triad_beta2, with changes vercion (beta3) in the details of the mod. Or should I make a new mod named ns2_triad, with changes vercion (beta3) in the details of the mod?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should prefer to name it ns2_triad.level and keep the same file name for every publish. If you REALLY want to change the name of the file, you should probably do it as a separate publish, otherwise if anyone running a server was using your mod and they had the name of your level in the map rotation, after they update, their map rotation will be broken (since your map no longer has the same name). Ultimately, at this point it shouldn't matter much due to the unfortunate state of workshop mods.
    Now that we're using SteamCMD (which requires Steam login credentials), does this mean that the Steam Workshop downloads for servers work now? More specifically, if I create a new Steam account for the server, log into that account via steam and subscribe to the desired maps/mods, and then start up the server, will it download the maps/mods?
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1949222:date=Jul 5 2012, 03:10 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jul 5 2012, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now that we're using SteamCMD (which requires Steam login credentials), does this mean that the Steam Workshop downloads for servers work now? More specifically, if I create a new Steam account for the server, log into that account via steam and subscribe to the desired maps/mods, and then start up the server, will it download the maps/mods?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not until valve adds support for downloading mods to SteamCMD afaik. While SteamCMD now requires a Steam account to work, it's not shared with NS2 in any way.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    I just tried to start a server with my mod enabled (using <mods>80882807</mods>). Instead of it auto-downloading I get the following message:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Date: 07/10/12
    Time: 22:15:52
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Error: Unable to initialize the steam API
    Error: An uninstalled mod, "80882807", was specified. Shutting down server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The message is a little cryptic because the Steam API seems to work fine when I don't include mods (although that ServiceStart message could potentially indicate a problem):

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Changing setting 'game' to: 'NS2Combat'...
    Press Tab to open the console window
    Press Ctrl-C to exit
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Build 212
    Starting Natural Selection 2 (Combat)
    ServiceStart: failed to start
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4920
    <b>Connected to Steam servers</b>
    Loading user://config/mapcycle.txt
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/prototype_module/prototype_module.model
    '
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/cocoon/cocoon.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm_view.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_cm_view.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm_view.animation_graph
    '
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_cm_view.animation_graph
    '
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_cm.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_cm.animation_graph'
    Loading user://config/ServerAdmin.json
    Loading user://config/BannedPlayers.json
    Error: The message ChatClient was already hooked
    Loading 'maps/ns2_tram.level'<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Has anyone run into this before?
    edited July 2012
    Update: I copied my 'Workshop' folder from my own pc to the server and now it seems to load okay but auto-updating still isn't working on the server itself. When I connect with a vanilla NS2 client I get a 'File Not Found' error. Here's what I get:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Changing setting 'game' to: 'NS2Combat'...
    Press Tab to open the console window
    Press Ctrl-C to exit
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mods cannot be auto-updated, falling back to manual mod management.

Build 212
    Starting Natural Selection 2 (Combat)
    ServiceStart: failed to start
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4920
    Connected to Steam servers
    Loading user://config/mapcycle.txt
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/prototype_module/prototype_module.model
    '
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/cocoon/cocoon.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm_view.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_cm_view.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm_view.animation_graph
    '
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_cm_view.animation_graph
    '
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_cm.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_cm.animation_graph'
    Loading user://config/ServerAdmin.json
    Loading user://config/BannedPlayers.json
    Error: The message ChatClient was already hooked
    Loading 'maps/ns2_junction_combat.level'
    Client connecting (31.54.29.112)
    Client disconnected (31.54.29.112) File not found<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    edited July 2012
    I also have problems loading Workshop maps. Just subscribed to all of them, waited until they finished downloading. Unfortunatelly they won't load neither of them. It starts loading but after some time it returns back to menu and says "File not found".

Its common problem or is there fault on my side? All maps are in /Workshop folder, I've checked that...
    I think in the meantime the solution is to copy the maps from the Workshop folder to your Steam/steamapps/common/natural selection 2/ns2/maps folder. Eventually I think the Workshop folders will be added to the game's search path and that should sort everything out.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yea auto-downloading of maps is still broken in 214.. The server will correctly detect them in the mods directory and can load them, but any clients that join with or without being subscribed to that mod will get a file-not-found error. The only solution is to download the files and then manually copy them to your NS2 directory.
    The Steam Workshop custom map downloads are working in B216 for all server owners/operators that are interested. Though, you'll have to do the server-side workaround when you first subscribe and download the Workshop maps to your client and then have to copy them to the server.
  • BlasphemyBlasphemy Join Date: 2008-05-02 Member: 64201Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2012
    I can't publish updates to my map anymore. Any time I try to 'publish info', or 'publish all', it waits a minute or two, then says 'publish failed'.

EDIT: It turns out steam workshop is having problems.
  • method.method. Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154588Members
    is steam workshop broken right now? when i try to click a map to download it and get additional information it gives me an error saying that the item does not exist or the author has removed it. i was able to subscribe to the maps only after multiple unsuccessful attempts (it lags and takes a while to load), but it doesn't seem to have downloaded them.
  • BlasphemyBlasphemy Join Date: 2008-05-02 Member: 64201Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    It looked as though it was having problems. But I think it is working now as I just published an update to my map.
  • method.method. Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154588Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1961245:date=Aug 11 2012, 01:19 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 11 2012, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1961245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Steam Workshop custom map downloads are working in B216 for all server owners/operators that are interested. Though, you'll have to do the server-side workaround when you first subscribe and download the Workshop maps to your client and then have to copy them to the server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

can you explain this further? how do i download and access the maps once i've subscribed to them?

i tried referencing the mod ids for the maps i wanted in a <mod> tag in my server xml file as suggested in the OP, but when i add that my server won't load and gives me the following errors:

Mods cannot be auto-updated, falling back to manual mod management.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: An uninstalled mod, "74499435", was specified. Shutting down server.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    When you subscribe to a mod with your steam client (a regular steam account), it downloads the files to a folder called workshop. You then need to transfer the map files from your local client machine into the maps folder on the server. Currently workshop is not auto-downloading to servers.
    And any time any of the mods on your server update you will need to update the mod files and the mod_info.xml file or all connecting clients that have restarted their game since the mod was updated will be kicked, regardless of if your server is on the map or not.
    edited August 2012
    The steps are:
    1. Subscribe to all the maps you want to host from the Steam Workshop on your Steam client (i.e. launch steam, go to Community->Workshop->Natural Selection 2 and subscribe to the desired maps)
    2. Launch NS2 and wait for all of the maps to download (open the console to see your progress)
    3. Go to your AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\ directory and copy the Workshop folder over to the same location on the server
    4. Add the mod IDs of the custom maps you want to your server.xml file between the tags <mods></mods>, with a space between each mod ID (the easiest way to find the mod IDs is to open the mod_info.xml file in your Workshop folder; the mod IDs will be between the <id></id> tags)
    (Optional) 5. Add the map names to your mapcycle.txt file (if you want them in rotation)

The biggest issue is that you will need to manually update the map files on the server if a mapper updates his files on Steam Workshop. The easiest way to do this is to check whether any map updated every time you start NS2 (just open the console) and, if so, just copy the entire workshop folder (Step 3) over to your server again. Otherwise, clients won't be able to join your server because they will have the wrong map file (i.e. its newer than the one on the server).