Why is this game so expensive?

NightsbaneNightsbane Join Date: 2005-01-16 Member: 35870Members
edited July 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Simple question really. For a multiplayer only game to be charging this much seems a bit absurd.

I seriously wanted to buy this game as I played NS1 a great deal, however $35 is a bit steep. I would be much happier paying around $10.

EDIT: I don't want people to think I'm being ultra critical here or trying to start a flame war. As I mentioned I played NS1 for YEARS, and I loved that game. I really want to see this game succeed, but in order to do so it has to have a large player base. With the wrong pricing model that just won't happen.

Comments

• internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    Sorry, this isn't a flash game sold on steam in a random weekend sale. It's worth more than $10 even if you don't think so.
    All the best, most successful games are effectively 'multiplayer only' as well..
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Really? I didn't think multiplayer only games were priced down, especially not to $10.

$10 is like, peanuts. £20 is what I expect to pay for a priced down game.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This game has exponentially more replay value and PC centric focus/care than the AAA crap that i buy off of steam front page for $60...
  • NightsbaneNightsbane Join Date: 2005-01-16 Member: 35870Members
    edited July 2012
    NS2 is an indy title, not a big developer title. A glance at steam tells me most indy games sell for less than $30, most of them around $10.

My point remains unchanged, I will be very surprised if this game sells well at this price, especially as many online FPS's are going the freemium model.

I don't mean to start a flame war, I only suggest the dev's reconsider their price.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2012
    $35? When most new full releases cost +50? This _is_ a full game, you know. Multiplayer isn't something extra you slap on a game anymore - welcome to 2010.

<!--quoteo(post=1949650:date=Jul 7 2012, 06:09 PM:name=Nightsbane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nightsbane @ Jul 7 2012, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949650"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 is an indy title, not a big developer title. A glance at steam tells me most indy games sell for less than $30, most of them around $10.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Most indie games don't look like AAA titles. Most indie games look like indie games. This is an indie game only in name.
    You can always lower it later. Also my steam frontpage has a lot of AAA quality indie games going for about the same price as the big publisher games.

Honestly I am having difficulty telling the difference at this point, it's so easy to publish over steam and there's a lot of really talented graphical artists out there.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    It may be indie, <b>but that doesn't mean it's quality is on par with those other "indie titles"</b>... like i said, it's quality is typically better than the AAA titles out there.. let alone some indie stuff. They are accomplishing an impressive feat for such a small team that is independent.. so if the "better than AAA titles" isn't a good enough argument of why, i suggest taking into account how impressive they are on the scale of indie titles and let that be your guide for your wallet.

Have you watched enough video footage of the game?
  • NightsbaneNightsbane Join Date: 2005-01-16 Member: 35870Members
    Ok let me ask a different question then.

Why should I pay $35 for this game when I can play Blacklight: Retribution or Tribes for free? Those are both complete games.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    You have a point in that NS2 doesn't ship with a lot of content (in terms of maps, textures\assets et cetera), but the price is really the last thing I'd hold against this game, considering it offers a myriad of ways to expand upon its content.
    edited July 2012
    Honestly are most of the things that sell under the 'indie' title really indie any more?

I mean I know there's a lot of really small projects out there, but if it's on the front page of steam, with really nice graphics and polish, and selling by the hundreds of thousands, I am kinda wondering what the difference between that sort of 'indie' game and not indie games is supposed to be, beyond possibly a slightly more unusual genre choice in some cases.

Publishing is a lot easier than it used to be, when a large portion of what's published in a major outlet like steam is 'indie' stuff, doesn't that just mean the devs are signing up with a big name publisher?

<!--quoteo(post=1949656:date=Jul 7 2012, 05:14 PM:name=Nightsbane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nightsbane @ Jul 7 2012, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok let me ask a different question then.

Why should I pay $35 for this game when I can play Blacklight: Retribution or Tribes for free? Those are both complete games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why should you pay anything for any game if you can play other games for free?

I buy games I like, when they make a free game I like, I'll play it. You can't win a price war against a free game.
    Shouldn't even take whether or not it is Indie into consideration, just look at what you get in return for what you pay.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1949656:date=Jul 7 2012, 06:14 PM:name=Nightsbane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nightsbane @ Jul 7 2012, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok let me ask a different question then.

Why should I pay $35 for this game when I can play Blacklight: Retribution or Tribes for free? Those are both complete games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blacklight: Retribution gameplay: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAXYmtMQ5Gc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAXYmtMQ5Gc</a>

Because Blacklight: Retribution or Tribes are not RTS FPS. Because they're just FPS, and have as much depth as my daily coffee. Because they cannot entertain you longer than half an hour - atleast that's why I'm playing this game.

Feel bored - Play a gorge and fool around.
    Feel tired - Play khammander and relax
    Feel like FPSing - Play marine
    Feel like giving a real effort - Play marine commander
    EDIT: Forgot skulks. Err, feel like jumping alot and eating faces? Play skulk? Uhh. :)

In Retribution or Tribes? It's all the same. All the time.
    <!--quoteo(post=1949665:date=Jul 7 2012, 05:21 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jul 7 2012, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shouldn't even take whether or not it is Indie into consideration, just look at what you get in return for what you pay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's kinda how I view it too, if I have a game I really like, I'll be happy paying more for it. Hell I kinda wish minecraft was more expensive given how much I've played it.

Also for me, if something is advertised as being 'free to play' I automatically assume it's rubbish. It's weird but I just expect that anything worth paying for would cost money.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1949656:date=Jul 7 2012, 10:14 AM:name=Nightsbane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nightsbane @ Jul 7 2012, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok let me ask a different question then.

If the only reason you want to play a game is because of it's price point... then I really don't know what to tell you.

The biggest reason I was willing to shell out the money for NS2 was because I loved NS1 and they are also fully embracing the modding community. Even if you don't use all the tools they give you along with the game, others will, and they will create awesome maps, mods, and even whole new games. This kind of thing increases the replayability and the longevity of your purchase making ever dollar damn worth it.

<!--quoteo(post=1949668:date=Jul 7 2012, 10:23 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jul 7 2012, 10:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also for me, if something is advertised as being 'free to play' I automatically assume it's rubbish. It's weird but I just expect that anything worth paying for would cost money.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I generally feel the same but Tribes: Ascend is glorious.
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1949669:date=Jul 7 2012, 05:26 PM:name=Industry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Industry @ Jul 7 2012, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I generally feel the same but Tribes: Ascend is glorious.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do mean to give that a try maybe, sometime, quite happy trying to build a giant base in tekkit minecraft at the moment though :)

A few other people I know have been playing it though, seems relatively popular.
    <!--quoteo(post=1949669:date=Jul 7 2012, 06:26 PM:name=Industry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Industry @ Jul 7 2012, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the only reason you want to play a game is because of it's price point... then I really don't know what to tell you.

The biggest reason I was willing to shell out the money for NS2 was because I loved NS1 and they are also fully embracing the modding community. Even if you don't use all the tools they give you along with the game, others will, and they will create awesome maps, mods, and even whole new games. This kind of thing increases the replayability and the longevity of your purchase making ever dollar damn worth it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Heh, I think most people on the forum right now are biased this way. I didn't even care if NS2 would ever finish. I shelled out the money because NS1 was, BY FAR, the best game I've ever played. And I didn't even pay for it. I had to give someone something, lol.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    If you're going to make a big deal of NS2's "indie" status: As much as people like to call NS2 indie because of UWE's origins and small team, it technically isn't. It has outside investors.

Next.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1949641:date=Jul 7 2012, 03:58 PM:name=Nightsbane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nightsbane @ Jul 7 2012, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played NS1 for YEARS, and I loved that game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's seems like a good reason to pay 35$.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    Personally i find the free to play model obnoxious. A game company produces a game to make money, dont be fooled by the "free to play" crap. To advance you will have to buy nick knacks and watch as some 12 year old with Daddies credit card buy exp boost x1000 or the $20 instant gib gun and mops the floor with you. They make more money giving you the game, drawing you in, and you buying upgrades and pretty things instead of earning them in game. It degrades the quality of play in the game and in the end destroys the long term viability of it.

Sure you have to pay for NS2 at the start, but you will receive FREE updates, maps, and balancing. The first two items the free to play model will make you pay for and so will MMOs with "expansions". Plus stop dissing on the "No single player content". Diablo 3 is ALL multiplayer and is the fastest selling PC game in history.

There is also the stigma of a over cheap game. Price it too low and people think there is something wrong with it, price it too high and expectations are hard to meet. I think they are at a happy medium (maybe a little on the cheap end for my taste).

Anyone with a job can afford $35 as a one time fee. I am being payed crap, have 2 kids, a wife who doesnt work, and i still bought the Special Edition copy which cost more than $35.

At the very least think of all those years of playing NS1 for free. Don't they deserve a little cash on that alone? (Yuki beat me too it. *edit*)
    <!--quoteo(post=1949674:date=Jul 7 2012, 04:39 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Jul 7 2012, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949674"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Nightsbane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nightsbane)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I played NS1 for YEARS, and I loved that game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's seems like a good reason to pay 35$.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the very least think of all those years of playing NS1 for free. Don't they deserve a little cash on that alone?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But that's us, they've already got our money. What this is about are the players that haven't an affinity to the NS-universe, and how they will look at NS2's price come v1.0-release.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sorry but 35$ and expensive? Every console game costs more even if they are rubbish. And "free" to play games are often pay to win games.

You know how much developling a game costs? You reach several millions very fast. All I can say is, if it is to expensive to you don't buy it! You also don't ask Apple to sell the new iPad for 80% less because it is to expensive to you? Why shal I pay for mineral water if I can have water for free?

IMO NS2 is worth more than 35$ if you consider the service you get. Every got a answer about a problem from the blizzard CEO? Nah? Well UWE will answer your mail very fast.

And you don't only get the game, you get alot of high quality tool with it, I may even say that those tools are some of the best I've seen.

Wait 1 year and bug NS2 on a holiday sale.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1949641:date=Jul 7 2012, 11:58 AM:name=Nightsbane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nightsbane @ Jul 7 2012, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simple question really. For a multiplayer only game to be charging this much seems a bit absurd.

I seriously wanted to buy this game as I played NS1 a great deal, however $35 is a bit steep. I would be much happier paying around $10.

EDIT: I don't want people to think I'm being ultra critical here or trying to start a flame war. As I mentioned I played NS1 for YEARS, and I loved that game. I really want to see this game succeed, but in order to do so it has to have a large player base. With the wrong pricing model that just won't happen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

simple question really. Why do other indie devs charge $10 for their games? There are plenty of FREE indie games, therefore charging $10 seems a bit absurd.

See where i'm going with this?
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    I can see this both ways. The economy is rough, 35 US can be a lot, I do think it means that there won't be many impulse buys. However, NS2 is worth that much money, both objectively and relatively.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    I had never heard of NS1 or NS2 before watching the gorilla trailer and I bought it immediately after. $35 didn't seem steep in the least to me. The mix of FPS and RTS intrigued me. Uwe just have to market this game properly and I am sure people will buy it. Also I am assuming they'll fix most of the performance issues at lauch, cause if they haven't... well then I'd agree with you.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1949693:date=Jul 7 2012, 05:27 PM:name=fmpone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fmpone @ Jul 7 2012, 05:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can see this both ways. The economy is rough, 35 US can be a lot, I do think it means that there won't be many impulse buys. However, NS2 is worth that much money, both objectively and relatively.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont want to hear this :P When the price of a 3D movie ticket is upwards of $15 a piece and you have a hard time finding candy for less than $1 when it isnt even king sized...

If $35 is making or breaking your bank i suggest getting rid of the internet (unless your job requires it =D).
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    pay to win monetization game models have always been a turn off for me.

for me, $35 for ns2 is cheap. i have put in 300 glorious hours into the beta already.

I typically only spend between 10-20 hours per game on other titles that i pay $50-$60 for.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Paid $40 for NS2 (Special Edition back before the Engine Test) and have put 1206 hours into the game for a grand total of $0.033/hour. That's a pretty good deal for game imo :)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think if you compare the value of the game against say, a movie, you'll think it's very reasonably priced.

1 movie is about 2-3 hours of entertainment. So you spend about $10. That's approx $3-5 an hour. All you need to do to make NS2 worth while is play for 6-10 hours max, and the game is already at that level of payment. Most NS2 players have played hundreds of hours, with most NS1 players in the thousands.

It's deffo value for money, if you play it more than just a few hours. :)
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I got 1047 hours in. All those are playing. ScardyBob how many of those are PT hours? The issue is there are to many welfare gamers now a days. And that's why we are getting quick carbon copy's of games. The first game you names looks like a COD style game. And even tho Tribes is fast paced it looks like ######. So ye, you get what you payed for.
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    You can't have a Steam sale if the price is already stupid low.

Love to see this game in on the Humble Bundle too when it hits 1.0.
This discussion has been closed.