GameOvermind

1121314151618»

Comments

• playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Go-go-gadget qoute!

<!--quoteo(post=1932110:date=May 1 2012, 06:08 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ May 1 2012, 06:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Been getting a number of PMs about reserved-slots, so:
    <ul><li>No, they're not working (at all) right now</li><li>Yes, they'll be in the new version again</li><li>Yes, they'll be cloakable from the server-browser (eg. 20 slots with 1 reserved will show up as 19 slots in the browser)</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Reserved-slots have been broken for about 30-40 builds, but they'll make a comeback in the rewrite, not to worry.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ah thanks man. I was trying to browse the posts with Ctrl + F "Reserved" but I finally gave up and posted haha.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1945983:date=Jun 23 2012, 04:45 AM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Jun 23 2012, 04:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah thanks man. I was trying to browse the posts with Ctrl + F "Reserved" but I finally gave up and posted haha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bookmark <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=&act=Search&mode=adv&f=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....ode=adv&f=0</a> :)
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Or click the "Lo-Fi Version" link at the bottom of the page, converts the forums into 100 threads per page. I've used that quite a few times to search this overmind thread.
  • PvtHudsonPvtHudson Join Date: 2012-06-23 Member: 153603Members
    I dont understand this part:
    Run

In order to run the mod, a simple "-game GameOvermind" parameter needs to be appended to, either NS2.exe in the case of Listen-servers, or Server.exe in the case of Dedicated-servers.

I am using a dedicated server provided by gameservers. I connected through ftpzilla but i cannot edit the server.exe file on the server?
    Oh no, the commandline-parameters are ment with that, don't edit the actual server.exe binary. I guess you'll have to ask your provider to add it to the startup-script if you don't have access to it.
  • PvtHudsonPvtHudson Join Date: 2012-06-23 Member: 153603Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1946120:date=Jun 23 2012, 10:56 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jun 23 2012, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946120"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh no, the commandline-parameters are ment with that, don't edit the actual server.exe binary. I guess you'll have to ask your provider to add it to the startup-script if you don't have access to it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So if i upload the files to the NS2 server in the NS2 Directory where do i go to add myself as an admin. I don't really understand what you mean by the startup-script. I have acess to everything on the ftp side of the server I am just having a hard time understanding to to use this mod.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Btw, i think we dont need overmind soon anymore.
    Just explore the game lua files ;)
    Well, I assume you don't start the server yourself, but the provider does so for you, which means they have to add the "-game NS2GmOvrmind" (it's NS2GmOvrmind btw, GameOvermind is the new rewritten version which isn't out yet, I know it's confusing) bit to the commandline when starting it. To add yourself as admin, go to the NS2GmOvrmind\Configuration\NS2GmOvrmind_ServerConfiguration_Users.lua-file and edit it. It's handy to know at least a tiny bit of Lua, for example that "--" comments out a line of script. The rewrite will make things a lot simpler, so you'll just have to bear with it.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Btw, i think we dont need overmind soon anymore.
    Just explore the game lua files ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You mean the ServerAdmin.lua- and ServerAdminCommands.lua-file? I hardly think they can replace the gargantuan feature-set the new version offers, but I guess it's nice to have a barebone-system in place.
    On the other hand, thinking about it, I've been wanting to kinda get out of this game for a little while now, but have stuck around out of loyalty for the admins that supported the mod in the early days, as well as the complete lack admin-tools in the game making it a bit of douchbag-move to let the mod die. But if the devs are putting in these rudimentary tools that offer the basic-functionality, I guess that would be my ticket out.

Food for thought.
    Alright, I've given in, check the first-post.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sad to hear. I was really looking forward to your gamestate recorder and other goodies in the revised OM. I hope you reconsider after v1.0 comes out.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Three months is a short amount of time. See you soon!
    So UWE managed to put together a working admin-system <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119169" target="_blank">here</a>, switching to it might be advisable. That way I won't have to stick around to keep checking if GameOvermind is still working correctly. If the server-count using this mod approaches zero I'll remove the download-link to it and kill off support.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    This is sad but understandable. Thank you for the time you have put into OM so far, it has made playing NS2 more fun!
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=me in another thread)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (me in another thread)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is a way to interface with the Lua-interpreter using its C-API. Its use was pioneered by my (now defunct) GameOvermind and fsfod's MenuMod. It allowed interaction with the Lua-scripts from inside a C-library, which opened up a whole list of possibilities that were not possible from inside the script-sandbox. Think things like file-access, internet-access, more complicated code (like hashing, file-compression), incorperation of 3rd-party C\C++ libraries (these are all examples of things I utilized in the unpublished version of GameOvermind). You can find the C-API documentation <a href="http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#3" target="_blank">here</a>.

Now that it has been removed from the Client-VM, fsfod is going to have to make some work-arounds, and possibly cut some features. I just tested the Server-VM, and that also seems to have been stripped of its package-loading ability, which in a changelog-footnote has completely killed GameOvermind (which comprised of about a dozen odd DLLs, about 80% C++, 19% C and 1% Lua-script). I intended to wait for the NS2 v1.0-release to see if there was fertile ground to continue development on it, but it appears the descision has been made for me. I could mess with the engine-binaries to get it to accept DLLs again, but then I would be fighting against the game's own developers, which is a bit of an uphill-struggle. I also have to say that the game's (client, but more importantly server)-performance is still exceedingly poor, to the point where GameOvermind's prize-feature (its gamestate-recorder) would for most servers not be viable for use due to the peformance-impact it incurs (on top of what already is poor performance on a vanila-setup).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've asked a moderator to take this mod off the sticky-bit, as to not confuse newcomers into investing time in what is a defunct mod. There are 1 or 2 other admin(packages) out there that are more deserving of a sticky.

It was fun and interesting while it lasted, but all good things must come to an end. Many thanks to all the server-owners that invested their time into this mod (with special mention of endar who was on-board since day 1).
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Sticky removed by request.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->