Been ages since NS1. No Combat Mode?

SSJRockyRamboSSJRockyRambo Join Date: 2012-06-20 Member: 153486Members
edited June 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
I've read it won't be included.

I realize this may have been covered, but I used the forum search and couldn't find anything.

I do not believe this game has a good chance of surviving if it does not have Combat Mode.

I've followed the rise and fall of many games, and I do not believe enough players are interested in the FPS/RTS genre. There needs to be an official mode for those, like me, who want a team-deathmatch mode like the old NS1.

When I played it in the past some of the most frequently populated servers were the Combat Modes.

This game has a chance of pulling people from games like Call of Duty if it can harness the intensity of Combat Mode, otherwise, getting recruits isn't going to be easy.

I'm not saying that the traditional mode is bad, (I believe it is the original one), I'm simply pointing out my belief that most people don't care enough about it to make the switch to this game when it releases.

And even more unfortunately, this game is going to release into a,

"Free-to-Play Market."

With those two points in mind, I desperately hope the developers reconsider.

Comments

• MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Unfortunately, there will probably be a mod made for it...
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited June 2012
    Don't mention the c-word, that's like mentioning the thing that starts with b and ends in hop. It will make people mad.

But on topic I can guarantee you that it will be a mod and you probably wont have to wait too long for it after 1.0 releases, there were many people that loved it, even if they will not be including it in the official release. I just hope that there aren't too many retarded xmenu servers out there (vanilla combat was the best).
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited June 2012
    Welcome 153-486

someone will inevitably mod a combat mode. dunno what point you're trying to make with free to play games. this game isn't remotely close to that market.

damn you people are quick.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    combat is coming soon !!! (not from UWE but from MCMLXXXIV and me)
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    edited June 2012
    I haven't played NS1 for a long time and don't remember a combat mode. How does that work? The OP makes it sound like a basic team deathmatch. Does everyone play with no upgrades or everyone gets full upgrades? You get a certain amount of pres with everything unlocked?
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1945343:date=Jun 20 2012, 05:28 PM:name=lumina)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lumina @ Jun 20 2012, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945343"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't played NS1 for a long time and don't remember a combqt mode. How does that work? The OP makes it sound like a basic team deathmatch. Does everyone plays with no upgrades or everyone gets full upgrades? You get a certain amount of pres with everything unlocked?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

each player uses their own res pool to purchase their equipment/lifeforms. first to knock out the non-enterable hive/command station wins.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2012
    Let's see if I can actually clean this out...\

edit - Ok. The problem was removed. I just nuked most of the posts as it was the only way to clean it up with any ease.

Also, there will be no official combat mode with 1.0 Even if the team wanted to, these is just no time.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I honestly don't have a problem with the ns1 combat mode. I thought it was a well done arcady experience. Perfect for honing your fps skills before joining a classic server.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1945423:date=Jun 20 2012, 11:43 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jun 20 2012, 11:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I honestly don't have a problem with the ns1 combat mode. I thought it was a well done arcady experience. Perfect for honing your fps skills before joining a classic server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Too bad it didn't prepare them for the classic game mode though. And we all know what happens to Rambo-ing in classic the way combat mode thought you. It usually ended in rage quitting and going back to combat :P
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I guess us classic players were just too pro for them. :P
    or too cruel to them. it was an unforgiving road for a lot of new late joiners. the NS1 crowd wasn't exactly welcoming.
  • SSJRockyRamboSSJRockyRambo Join Date: 2012-06-20 Member: 153486Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1945430:date=Jun 20 2012, 04:55 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Jun 20 2012, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945430"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or too cruel to them. it was an unforgiving road for a lot of new late joiners. the NS1 crowd wasn't exactly welcoming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is true... The learning curve is going to be something for the developer to consider.
    <!--quoteo(post=1945334:date=Jun 20 2012, 02:12 PM:name=JimWest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimWest @ Jun 20 2012, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->combat is coming soon !!! (not from UWE but from MCMLXXXIV and me)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seriously? You already have access to the modding materials? How's it going? If you can make it more or less similar to the NS1 Combat Mode that would be great!
    <!--quoteo(post=1945411:date=Jun 20 2012, 04:13 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Jun 20 2012, 04:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945411"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's see if I can actually clean this out...\

edit - Ok. The problem was removed. I just nuked most of the posts as it was the only way to clean it up with any ease.

Also, there will be no official combat mode with 1.0 Even if the team wanted to, these is just no time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have my eternal thanks. Even I was starting to throw food in the food fight.

I hope the Official Team, if a Combat Mode Mod gets enough support, really gives it the spotlight it needs.

Do you or does anyone know how mods are going to be presented in the game? Easy to find? Or is it going to be a niche in a niche?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1945436:date=Jun 21 2012, 12:14 AM:name=SSJRockyRambo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SSJRockyRambo @ Jun 21 2012, 12:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously? You already have access to the modding materials? How's it going? If you can make it more or less similar to the NS1 Combat Mode that would be great!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is quite possible to create mods for NS2 right now, basically NS2 itself is a mod running on the Spark engine as well. Of course the devs have more access to the main engine, but Spark is designed to be VERY mod-able using simple lua, without source access to some extent. They want this to be the most mod-able engine ever!
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1945438:date=Jun 21 2012, 12:17 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jun 21 2012, 12:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They want this to be the most mod-able engine ever!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They'll have to release a bit of native-code if they're trying to compete with Source in that respect.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1945345:date=Jun 20 2012, 11:29 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Jun 20 2012, 11:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->each player uses their own res pool to purchase their equipment/lifeforms. first to knock out the non-enterable hive/command station wins.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What? I thought co_ was kill-for-upgrades. Each kill gained you experience and once you reached the next level you received +1 upgrade point to spend on ANY upgrade.

I think combat mode is a very good start for new players to learn the game controls and adjust to the fast paced game and small reaction times. Remember my first time playing NS1, ns_ was too confusing so I started playing co_ at first. In the beginning I never got any kills and thought the game was SUPER DIFFICULT. The only comfort I had was the fact that I was being killed by real people and not bots, giving me a hope of becoming as good as the pros, in time. What I want to say is that practice is important in order to even play the game, and forcing the player to at the same time learn the full ns_ concepts might confuse new players.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Combat was fine. It could be good fast-paced fun, especially if you didn't want to invest in a long drawn-out classic game or just didn't feel like putting in the effort to think with strategy atm.

However, the MAJOR bad habit I saw it teaching was that you can endlessly zerg in 'coz you'll just get your upgrades back. In classic you had to be infinitely more careful with that onos/fade/heavy+hmg etc, and that was a hard habit to get back into.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    edited June 2012
    There's no problem with combat mode itself, the problem lies in the fact that a lot of people come just because of CO mode. They don't want to play NS classic, and never will, which lead to a gradual decline in NS servers since it's harder to find new players willing to learn the game when they can just go play combat and not have to put effort into thinking about a strategy or really coordinating with teammates or stuff like that.

Look at NS1 right now, the ratio of CO to NS servers is like 10/1. And half of the NS servers are just loaded with bots.

That's why I would personally rather see UWE make NS more accessible to new players like they are planning instead. I just want them to focus on the part of their game that made NS appeal to me in the first place over the loads of games that played the same.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    I played more CO than NS maps because, when I started, understanding the rts part of the normal mode was too difficult. I didn't know what I was supposed to do, and I had the feeling that unless I made all the right decisions in the right order I was doomed from the start. Too much of the effectiveness depended on knowing maps perfectly, understanding the classes perfectly, and having an intricate knowledge of the balance and pace of the game. CO was just easier, and a lot more reward for a lot less effort (at the time).

Fast forward to NS2: When I started playing the beta, I had no problem hopping in and getting a sense of the way the game works. I was familiar with it from playing NS1, but it just feels easier to understand. When you're not commanding, it really does feel just like a normal FPS, with the exception of a God who is watching over you and refusing to give you medpacks.

I think one thing that gets lost in the discussion of what the beta should do to be more like NS, is that the beta has done a much better job of being accessible to people at first blush, and feeling like a more seamless hybrid of the two genres.
  • RowenRowen Join Date: 2012-05-04 Member: 151545Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1945332:date=Jun 20 2012, 11:06 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jun 20 2012, 11:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1945332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't mention the c-word, that's like mentioning the thing that starts with b and ends in hop. It will make people mad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What's the problem with the bishop?
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    Cant wait to play it.

I mainly bought ns2 for combat. Same reasons as other people mentioned. I came to the ns party a bit late and learning the game was too much. CO it was.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    NS (both) are complex games not meant for the casual player. You need training to master them. Comparing CS and NS may be like comparing Ludo with Chess. Both games can be fun, but for the second you need more commitment.

Combat was the attempt to make NS more accessible. Some sort of training. But that never worked. It just was a Ludo with chess figures. It sure explained what upgrades exist and what they do. But it also failed to teach the people the most important basic concept of the game: teamplay. Combat-mod just created a huge load of rambos and also dragged people to the game that simply "haven't fun in playing chess". On top of that the combat-mod created wrong expectation even by those players who would have had fun with chess. Killing classic in this process.

You can't make everyone happy. You should focus on players who want to play a complex game instead of those who just want something easy to understand like CoD587.

Also a tutorial mission with simplest AI would be much better to teach players that are interested in complex games.
    Just my 2 cent.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    I'm glad Combat won't be making an official comeback. Yes, it was good for the occasional cheap thrill, but it very quickly became tedious, and taught newbies a lot of bad habits.

When Combat was added to NS1, it had two specific objectives:
    <ul><li>to allow practising various movement mechanics without wasting resources in a real game, and</li><li>to give players on a server with <8 players something to do while waiting for it to fill</li></ul>
    The problem is it didn't succeed at either of those goals. As a training tool it was a Pyrrhic victory: you could practice Fade blinking, sure; but if you didn't already know better, you'd also learn that Fades are infinitely expendable, that charging one headlong in to a group of 8+ marines and flailing your arms until you killed something was actually a viable stratagem, and that they were only effective when using Carapace + Regeneration + Celerity + Adrenaline + Focus all together - and that's even without getting into what you'd learn about overall game flow in a mode with no resources, no upgrade structures and no territory control. (The sadly underappreciated NS:Territory mod, which attempted to bring Combat a bit closer to the Classic mentality by adding proper objectives, was much better in that regard.)

As for the latter, the number of 24-player Combat-only servers running awful plugins, which inevitably devolved into boring spamfests, said it all; and I rather suspect it became that popular largely <i>because</i> the things it taught new players only confused them when they tried Classic, given all the bad habits they then had to unlearn to become useful contributors to a Classic team, encouraging them to shy away from it instead and retreat into the comfort of the familiar.

So while I agree that there should be some mechanism for easing players into the game, I strongly disagree that a separate game mode whose lessons do more harm than good is the way to accomplish it. Teach them to play the real game mode instead. It's worth it.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Combat was fun, in it's own way. Deffo should be a mod and not part of the main game though, as it fragmented the community.