Weapon Costs

JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Am I the only one who thinks they should be cheaper?</div>Shotgun : 20 PRes (10 TRes)
GL : 25 PRes (15 TRes, AA Required)
Flamethrower : 30 PRes (20 TRes, AA Required)

I think they should all be reduced by 5 PRes (15, 20, 25) maybe even 20 for the Flamethrower, I understand the need for the TRes cost to increase for each weapon - But, when it comes down to a Marine purchasing the equipment he has to weigh things out.

I think the cost differentials between each 'tier' are fine, but the starting cost of 20 PRes for a Shotgun just seems steep to me.

And I know :

Weapons can be picked up by other people.

You shouldn't be dying.

But, there's a lot of times where death can't be avoided and there isn't someone standing behind you ready to pick it up and bring it back to you.

I'm just running out of cash a lot and struggling to see why a Welder appears to be the only thing appropriately priced.

Comments

• Arkahm719Arkahm719 Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151988Members
    I agree, the flame thrower sucks and isnt worth the 30 pres that it costs, i would way 20-25 for it and use it more often, the shotgun should be 15 I think, and gl should be 20. But the jet pack should be increased to like 15 or so
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    No. There should be more basic machine gun vs. skulk gameplay, not less.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    There is nothing wrong with LMG, at level 3 its still good. The heavier weapons should be bought for specific tasks in mind, not just mindless bought every time you die.
    Well I agree with the lmg being great, and i use it primarily i still think the shotgun should be cheaper. to have a place in early games
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942453:date=Jun 9 2012, 02:14 PM:name=Arkahm719)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkahm719 @ Jun 9 2012, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942453"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I agree with the lmg being great, and i use it primarily i still think the shotgun should be cheaper. to have a place in early games<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would sort of agree with this. Its clear loss in long range combat ability for a marine makes it less situational compared to flamers and grenades.
    Like i remember ns1 where a few would have some shotguns for those up close encounters when a skulk breaks through the squad of marines line. Not everyone uses them just a few. I personally loved the ns1 shotgun, the ns2 one i cant seem to get it working for me, especially after i got in a vent and got a jump on a lerk, point blank 2 shots and he killed me! spread doesnt matter if its point blank
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1942468:date=Jun 9 2012, 05:17 PM:name=Arkahm719)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkahm719 @ Jun 9 2012, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like i remember ns1 where a few would have some shotguns for those up close encounters when a skulk breaks through the squad of marines line. Not everyone uses them just a few. I personally loved the ns1 shotgun, the ns2 one i cant seem to get it working for me, especially after i got in a vent and got a jump on a lerk, point blank 2 shots and he killed me! spread doesnt matter if its point blank<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The spread is so large in b209 that you miss pellets, even point blank. It's asinine.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited June 2012
    WTB the starting p-res lowered then? honestly I don't know why it's still in the game, 25 is ridiculous. You can lerk like 1-2 minutes in, shotty/GL rush in ~4-6.. wut? Early game is supposed to last longer than 2-4 minutes, right? Seems like such an easy change, whyyy!!!

(weapon costs definitely do not need to be lowered)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1942471:date=Jun 10 2012, 07:28 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jun 10 2012, 07:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->WTB the starting p-res lowered then? honestly I don't know why it's still in the game, 25 is ridiculous. You can lerk like 1-2 minutes in, shotty/GL rush in ~4-6.. wut? Early game is supposed to last longer than 2-4 minutes, right? Seems like such an easy change, whyyy!!!

(weapon costs definitely do not need to be lowered)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agree with sentiment for longer early game. Pacing is kinda rushed.

To solve gl/shotty rush though you need to revert AA back to 30 res so that its an actual tradeoff getting that early AA.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1942471:date=Jun 9 2012, 05:28 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jun 9 2012, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->WTB the starting p-res lowered then? honestly I don't know why it's still in the game, 25 is ridiculous. You can lerk like 1-2 minutes in, shotty/GL rush in ~4-6.. wut? Early game is supposed to last longer than 2-4 minutes, right? Seems like such an easy change, whyyy!!!

(weapon costs definitely do not need to be lowered)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Starting pres will be changed soon (hopefully). I've been trying to get it changed for a while due to the Lerk's role and how fast games are shooting into the mid-game techs.
  • JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
    Sorry, but how does Skulk play even come into it? Every Marine can afford a Shotgun when Shotguns are researched.

I also don't see what's so great about Basic Marine vs. Leap Carapace Skulk.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1942477:date=Jun 10 2012, 07:54 AM:name=Jayaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jayaris @ Jun 10 2012, 07:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942477"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry, but how does Skulk play even come into it? Every Marine can afford a Shotgun when Shotguns are researched.

I also don't see what's so great about Basic Marine vs. Leap Carapace Skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think most of us are talking about vanilla skulk vs marine being great fun. There are pacing issues on the alien side of this too as you've pointed out.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I would like to wait until all the Tier 3 abilities / Exo / HMG Railgun / Marine goo is added until discussing balancing point costs.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    The Shotgun will have plenty of "early game role" once it stops sucking and starts ripping through bad Skulks like it should. Lowering the cost of <i>that</i> Shotgun would be a terrible mistake.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    I do think the flamers a tad over priced as it does not have much of a range or stopping power.
    I dont see it used much on a map as it has not real stopping power (used if lerks are pestering a base with spores)
    Shottie I think is under priced as is the GL in comparison, both could go up by 10 res IMO.

Jp's are also too cheap...but mainly due to the lack of alien counter, really should be atleast 15 res per JP.

Sure sometimes you may lose that shotgun, but other times your team mates can pick it up so your team doesn't lose the res despite your death.

Aliens always lose their upgrades which cost 30+ Res as a minimum (gorge is not combat so ignored).
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    TBH prices are fine except for the flame thrower. It getting so little use and should be lowered to 20 PRES or so
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942439:date=Jun 9 2012, 01:15 PM:name=Jayaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jayaris @ Jun 9 2012, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shotgun : 20 PRes (10 TRes)
    GL : 25 PRes (15 TRes, AA Required)
    Flamethrower : 30 PRes (20 TRes, AA Required)

I think they should all be reduced by 5 PRes (15, 20, 25) maybe even 20 for the Flamethrower, I understand the need for the TRes cost to increase for each weapon - But, when it comes down to a Marine purchasing the equipment he has to weigh things out.

I think the cost differentials between each 'tier' are fine, but the starting cost of 20 PRes for a Shotgun just seems steep to me.

And I know :

Weapons can be picked up by other people.

You shouldn't be dying.

But, there's a lot of times where death can't be avoided and there isn't someone standing behind you ready to pick it up and bring it back to you.

I'm just running out of cash a lot and struggling to see why a Welder appears to be the only thing appropriately priced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

FT needs to be anti-structure or completely scrapped and honestly it should be a utility weapon like the welder. you probably werent around when the FT was a lightsaber, instantly killing every lifeform on the map....
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Guns are too cheap, not too expensive. Expensive weapons (that are more effective, perhaps) would mean more of the fun skulk/lmg gameplay, more serious decisions about whether to purchase something and more satisfaction when purchases are ultimately made.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    If the guns get cheaper I will disown this game.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    I'm all with Schimmel here: Make the cost of every weapon equal. 20 pRes for every weapon. They should be situational and not incremental. Neither in power nor in cost.

LMG = all-rounder
    SG = high damage fast delivered and anti lifeform
    GL = anti structure
    FT = debuff (energy, etc.), area denial, infestion killer no.1
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    You don't buy shotties generally unless aliens bring fades/lerks onto the field. Otherwise you prefer to buildup PRes. The only investment you should make early game, without any advanced life forms on the field should be getting a welder or two. Shotties have been gimped so there's even less reason to buy them, along with GLs. FTs have always needed their price lowered, though.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1942841:date=Jun 12 2012, 04:28 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jun 12 2012, 04:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942841"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm all with Schimmel here: Make the cost of every weapon equal. 20 pRes for every weapon. They should be situational and not incremental. Neither in power nor in cost.

LMG = all-rounder
    SG = high damage fast delivered and anti lifeform
    GL = anti structure
    FT = debuff (energy, etc.), area denial, infestion killer no.1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

despite that i think 20 p.res is too cheap :)
  • JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1943160:date=Jun 13 2012, 12:29 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Jun 13 2012, 12:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943160"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->despite that i think 20 p.res is too cheap :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If 20 PRes is too cheap for a minimal combat boost, then shouldn't you increase the PRes limit to 200 and double all the Lifeform costs?

Why is the efficiency of PRes so disparate between the two races?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    20 pres is too cheap IMO, 25 at least for the sg/gl... The shotgun will be better in 210, so save your judgement about that till then. Regarding the GL i think its actually better now than before, it just takes teamwork to use now.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sure weapon prices could be cheaper, if p.res flow was reduced by half.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1942890:date=Jun 12 2012, 09:06 AM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Jun 12 2012, 09:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't buy shotties generally unless aliens bring fades/lerks onto the field. Otherwise you prefer to buildup PRes. The only investment you should make early game, without any advanced life forms on the field should be getting a welder or two.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The shotgun is a pretty potent anti-skulk weapon, so I do like it even when lerks/fades aren't on the field. Also, what I usually see early game is people spending their res on mines until fades come out, rather than weapons.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Nah, weapon costs are fine. What's not fine, is the 30sec disappearance timer. I'd much more like weapons to stay on ground indefinitely, BUT allow aliens to chomp them a few times to destroy them. But since this would just be a gimmick and add nothing to the "actual gameplay", I say: Just please increase the vanish timer with a minute.

Flamer: I think flamer will be fine as a DoT weapon with infestation clearing qualities. But the DoT needs to have POWER, like, set a skulk with cara on fire and he burns in 10 seconds to 10hp or so.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    Also about the vanishing aspect. Something like tribes does is have the icon above the item flashing repeatedly and faster as it is about to disappear. Giving some additional indication of how long the item is going to be around for.

Perhaps adding a timer to it in a draining clockwise fashion like the alien energy circle would be good as well, adding additional readability so things don't just disappear.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Lerks picking up weapons!
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1943258:date=Jun 14 2012, 07:35 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Jun 14 2012, 07:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1943258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerks picking up weapons!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Would be much more useful than roosting.