NS2 Dead?

TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Unable to find opponents</div>Could you guys step up and get some activity going! Make a new team or something.

If not please tell us why are you not motivated to play NS2. Discuss

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited May 2012
    10 fps

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->edit: also, everything dragon said.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    LOL do you reaally need to ask? I dont think the small community needs more teams currently, just more players.

I can summarize my problems in 5 points
    - Hit Detection/FPS
    - Fade Blink Damage Reduction
    - Skulk Walljump
    - Onos
    - Augmentation
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    #1) Performance.
    #2) Onos. Everything about the Onos is killing "competitive" play.
    #3) End-game RTS mechanics (there are none aside from spamming static D or arcs to counter static D)
    #4) Resource sinks for aliens are nonexistant.

Basically, the typical game goes like this:
    0-8minutes - Competitive vanilla or shotgun marine vs skulk/lerk/fade. A game of RT control but the possibility of a rush, or base attack.
    8-12minutes - Still relatively competitive. The fades come out, marines can fight back if they did well early game.
    12-20 minutes - Multiple Onos come out and either stabilize a clearly losing alien team or end an even (or alien favored) game.
    20+ minutes - If the marines are still alive, they have full tech and are now trying to build arc trains to counter the 8923789 whips, crags, and cysts around every corner.

What I'm trying to say is that early game marine vs skulk/gorge/lerk is fun, engaging, and skillful. Lategame 3-3 JP marine, arc trains, spam onos stomps with unlimited tres and pres for the winning side sucks. Performance goes down the drain, hits don't register, and you spend most of your time fighting NPCs (arcs, whips, crags, cysts) that have a trivial value to the team losing them.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    Mostly Diablo 3...
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    edited May 2012
    meh, wait for a new patch to gauge interest in competitive play again.

it's half-ok for some public play though.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Well, I just started a new team. Looking for people that are active and serious enough to at least try to play competitive and improve. Casual is okay also but I'm mostly looking for decent players atm.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    After next patch:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QuoKNZjr8_U"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QuoKNZjr8_U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    edited May 2012
    While I am in no position to share your gaming experience atm I was still confused by the answers.

#1 Performance
    Sure its bad but its better than some weeks/months ago and there definitely was more competetitive play going on. So this can not be the reason.

#2 Onos
    Yeah its bad. Everybody knows it, but how is it different e.g. from op Hydras in Build 150/160. Just agree on a limit of one onos at a time. Since its competetive play and most of us are grown ups that shouldnt be to hard to establish.
    Also if something is unbalanced and both teams agree it is, why not use the balance mod again? I am unsure if it is still updated.
    Again I can not see the reason here.

#3/#4 See #1. Same as performance. It got better not more boring. At least IMO.

For me the only logic reason is
    <!--quoteo(post=1939135:date=May 26 2012, 04:38 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ May 26 2012, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939135"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mostly Diablo 3...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just had an idea of for another reason. That one also always killed ns1 during this time of the year.
    Summer.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1939101:date=May 26 2012, 08:57 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ May 26 2012, 08:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939101"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could you guys step up and get some activity going! Make a new team or something.

If not please tell us why are you not motivated to play NS2. Discuss<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hello tomb raider chronicles,

in germany we call this phenomenon "Sommerloch". Sommerloch translates to "summer hole". It has nothing to do with holes (<i>directly</i>), but it describes the lack of interest in something, because of that strange warm glowing ball in the sky. I don't know what you scandinavian people are doing in the summer time, other than sharpening your axes, growing epic viking beards and playing natural selection, but some of my clan mates tend to use this time to go outside (freaks).

Personally, I would love to get my butt kicked more often by you guys.
  • Forever_rustyForever_rusty Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151314Members
    Rumor has it SuperPaxBros could make a comeback
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    I think its an combination of all discussed above:
    - Some play diablo.
    - Others are going for the first festivals and enjoy the weather.
    - Some play Pub but dont like the build in competitive

AND

Maybe teams are still motivated but not as much like you.
    Being asked EVERY day for an pcw is going on my nerves a little, sorry.

"Could you guys step up and get some activity going! Make a new team or something."
    My answer:

Could you guys calm down and get some other activity going! Play a new game or something.

This break is normal, its not the first time is see this. So, be cool.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The game makes me yawn sometimes, specially the alien side, it's always the same.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Ill tell you why, the balance, its just a ######e.
    IM telling you, i havent been seeing people since The free hydras went lose.
    They log in every time theres a patch, play for a day, ###### off.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    Performance , bad game design and diablo 3.
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    Alot of strange reasons that makes no sense. Performance is better now, so it cant be the reason everyone suddenly stopped playing. Yeah summer is coming, festivals locks for some, but does that truly account for the recent drop of activity for everyone at the same time? Afaik, ppl still need to go to school and work this time a year. So playing on a Tuesday shouldn't be a problem. So I don't see how summer can account either.

And Diablo 3? Yeah, I know that you are a D3 junkie koruyo, but is that truly the reason why you cant spare 1h for playing a pcw one or two days of the week?

And while I don't know whats in the next patch, considering how many experimental failures which has been added to the game recently, I fail to see how the next patch are going to be the one which saves everything, unless they start to revert stuff.

And regarding balance, well, I believe that if we really thought balance was the main issue, we could just balance the game ourselves. The game is kinda modifiable I´ve heard

What I'm more afraid of, and why I think we lost interest and what is making me almost completely uninterested to play is that I lost faith. Some recent changes just doesn't make any sense, and I'm afraid that future builds will continue on this. Lerk bilebomb (a fast flying seige unit, really?), free hydras (free buildings in a game about resources, really?), more crucial core stuff on energy like meds and cysts (energy as a <b>core </b>resource which accumulate by doing nothing, really?), augmentation (just be passive, wait and get it almost for free, really?) The list could go on. I believe this is killing the competitive scene more than D3 and summer ever could do.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    There are probably many reasons working together, my guess is that these are the most important ones:

1. The game is still as broken as ever, both in performance and gameplay.
    2. Summer inactivity. I played NS1 competitively for eight years, and this happened every year.
    3. No competitions. The best motivation for practicing is actually having something to practice for.
    4. Fatigue. Unsurprisingly, given the poor gameplay, people get tired of the game and simply prefer to spend their time on other activities instead. NS2, in its current state, simply isn't a game that is conducive to long-term play -- the core gameplay mechanics are too silly, convoluted and destroy any semblance of variety after the first 100 or so hours of play. The devs haven't shown any signs of recognizing this either (as evidenced by the addition of augmentation and maturing, accepting the suggestion of a TF2 style scoreboard and the whole energy debacle), nor do most of the mindless drones on the forums ("have patience, exo-suit will fix everything!").
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1939273:date=May 27 2012, 07:27 AM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ May 27 2012, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I'm more afraid of, and why I think we lost interest and what is making me almost completely uninterested to play is that I lost faith. Some recent changes just doesn't make any sense, and I'm afraid that future builds will continue on this. Lerk bilebomb (a fast flying seige unit, really?), free hydras (free buildings in a game about resources, really?), more crucial core stuff on energy like meds and cysts (energy as a <b>core </b>resource which accumulate by doing nothing, really?), augmentation (just be passive, wait and get it almost for free, really?) The list could go on. I believe this is killing the competitive scene more than D3 and summer ever could do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is definitely a big point that resonates with my feelings about playing NS2. A lot of the recent changes seem to be attempting to fix things that aren't broken. We've had broken onos for a solid 10 patches now. People just kind of burn out on playing that.

But it is a beta, and that is also important to remember.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's just peaks and valleys with this stuff. The community's enthusiasm will wane as new stuff is going on under the scenes, stuff seems dead but meanwhile a lot of things are going on under the surface. I know I haven't wanted to play NS2 in a while publicly, but I'd be very interested in joining a PT game because of the constant changes and new features going in.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    the last few weeks has been Real Life for me and my team, but I do know that a lot of other teams are very into Diablo 3 and are a little frustrated with some current game mechanics. All I know is that over the next few patches a lot of stuff will be coming in and the game will continue to evolve. I continue to speak patience to everyone and the by-weekly patches do seem long to some, but they are a whole lot easier to work out kinks and try out changes.

I want to thank all of the teams out there for even being around, I mean this is a beta and this community does some amazing things! keep it up all and cant wait to see you on the battlefield.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    You're welcome, and thank you Wasabi.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Client Performance
    Server Performance
    Balance
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    I find this a bit amusing and worrying at the same time... We've had 9 matches in the last week and are seriously thinking that opponents are too inactive ;)

PS. Granted, only 10 maps total, so only 2 rounds in most matches.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939101:date=May 26 2012, 11:57 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ May 26 2012, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939101"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could you guys step up and get some activity going! Make a new team or something.

If not please tell us why are you not motivated to play NS2. Discuss<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game is broken.

Marines only win by outright domination of the map or by alien stupidity.

Who wants to play a game where within the first 8-15 minutes, the whole alien team goes onos and ends the game?

Even the PUBS are EMPTY now.

People are getting terrible impressions about this game and even I have stopped playing as much as I used to.

This game is so broken right now that I have no idea how ANYONE plays "competitively" at all. And I'm just talking about the gameplay. Let's not forget that this game makes my computer think it's running Crysis 5

Also the maps are ****ing SMALL and one-dimensional. And there's only 2 of them (mineshaft has never worked -- it's been fun sometimes but it's not a balanced map at all and 99% of the time it sucks).

NS2 feels like it should be played in a videogame arcade right now. So fix it and obviously people might start playing again.

You asked why people aren't playing, so theres the truth.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2012
    This is one downside of the 2 week patch cycle. I would say the past 2 patches have been at the crest of the up&down build cycle, but they have been the "current builds" for much longer timewise due to the new cycle. Hopefully the next one brings us back up!

edit: maybe an alternative patch cycle should be considered. A big patch (new features, large changes) every 2 weeks like it is currently, but then a minor change patch on the offweeks....this is where small balance tweaks could be done, or any glaring issues fixed.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    Oh did I mention that people don't want to use the terrible menu to find servers now?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited May 2012
    I haven't played for a while because the rounds are too predictable and there's isn't a feeling of causality...everything happens 'randomly' in a disconnected way.

Alien structures and abilities are often frustrating and when you experience the same broken/buggy gameplay on the same 2 maps you've been playing for a year(?), there isn't much left to enjoy.

If I was in charge of marketing I'd push UW to make another 'gorilla' release with the exo, and another awesome youtube trailer. But that's basically 1.0 isn't it!

So I might just wait for 1.0

Good luck and keep at it UW

And please make the exo look and feel super cool, it could be a BIG selling point. Remember people pay money for mech games, so you can attract them if you don't skimp on the exo.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    This is the up and down activity there have been throughout the beta.
    It's not gonna end by making a thread here. It will most likely end when UWE have a more finalized game.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1939539:date=May 28 2012, 03:24 PM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ May 28 2012, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is one downside of the 2 week patch cycle. I would say the past 2 patches have been at the crest of the up&down build cycle, but they have been the "current builds" for much longer timewise due to the new cycle. Hopefully the next one brings us back up!

edit: maybe an alternative patch cycle should be considered. A big patch (new features, large changes) every 2 weeks like it is currently, but then a minor change patch on the offweeks....this is where small balance tweaks could be done, or any glaring issues fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was thinking this also. But just performance patches.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1939554:date=May 28 2012, 01:07 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ May 28 2012, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is the up and down activity there have been throughout the beta.
    It's not gonna end by making a thread here. It will most likely end when UWE have a more finalized game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This.

Plus the whole summer lull in gaming that fana mentioned.

Also, the competitive scene has grown if not always consistently. This time last year, I could count the number of NS2 clans on one hand. Now, not only have we had about a month and a half of casted, multi-matchedup competitive scrims, but we're almost at the point that we can have a proper tournament.
  • fleggflegg Join Date: 2012-06-06 Member: 152981Members
    edited June 2012
    The dev's of NS have not made a good patch since what was it.... NS 1.1 ten years ago?

Starting with the original lurker flight redesign they subsequently destroyed NS1 with patches ending with the coup de grace that was NS combat, so it's hard to think they are capable of turning this poop-storm of broken features into a complete and balanced game.

If someone wants to buy the game for me I'll play on your team for the summer but for now I'm refusing to support the people who basically deleted what was my favorite game of all time. What was once a complex and hard to master but rewarding flight mechanic was changed into a hovering piece of crap that spammed gas clouds... I haven't played NS in so long but the pain of that horrible patch still burns my skull.

Reading over these forums does not give me any hope, as the DEVs appear to lock suggestion threads if the criticism isn't 100% constructive kiss-ass. All the while being reminded of the knee-jerk attitude that caused the original Damage Net leader to bring down all of his servers and leave the community.