NS1 with good graphics

Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
<div class="IPBDescription">Why not?</div>Gorge has bile bomb, Lerk has bite, marines have a full grenade launcher instead of the attachment.

NS1 wasn't sold as a game, so why not just sell it as a game with this new engine? Sure, I like some changes with NS2. I like the IDEA of the alien commander. But it has never felt quite right in actual gameplay because the gorge is less enjoyable. If you get it to work and feel good, great. I love it. But it feels forced right now.

Also comm station fixing will always suck for those who played NS1, but I have already posted about that.

It looks like gameplay is heading towards NS1 and I hope that continues while still maintaining a FEW of the current aspects of NS2. As it stands right now, the power node/onos issue still exists but people are not all going onos right now because they want to try the new Lerk. Nothing stops a team from getting 10 onos in the first 12 minutes.

Comments

• JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940531:date=May 31 2012, 10:25 AM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 31 2012, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nothing stops a team from getting 10 onos in the first 12 minutes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A server cap does.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Just wait and things will work themselves out, like nature.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow, I never considered this, I'm many times for going towards NS1 mechanics... But what I didn't realize is that then UWE will be accused of just selling the same game.
    I say screw that, NS2 still has new elements, and UWE should get paid anyway as good as NS1 was. If something is tried and true and working from NS1 - why the f*ck not include it in NS2?!!!

That said, I'm eagerly waiting for NS1:Spark! ;)
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1940545:date=May 31 2012, 11:57 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ May 31 2012, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940545"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, I never considered this, I'm many times for going towards NS1 mechanics... But what I didn't realize is that then UWE will be accused of just selling the same game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You cannot be accused of selling the same game if you never sold the game to begin with. Just make it with the new engine and sell it. Seems like an easy way to make money for NS1, and then make NS2 the way they are doing now.
  • Spektor56Spektor56 Join Date: 2010-11-10 Member: 74858Members
    Most games that have sequels don't try to redesign fundamental game elements, but rather add additional elements to what is already a working system. The core game play mechanics of starcraft, warcraft, diablo, etc have all stayed the same while adding additional assets or removing some assets. There's usually less "change" and more "add" and "remove" with sequels.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    I feel that ns2 is now on the direction to staying "true" to ns1, but still having some WAY better changes. I love lerk bite is more support now, not just something stolen from the skulk. I wouldn't mind new voice actors though, or new ones randomized with the old.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1940552:date=May 31 2012, 12:07 PM:name=Spektor56)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spektor56 @ May 31 2012, 12:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most games that have sequels don't try to redesign fundamental game elements, but rather add additional elements to what is already a working system. The core game play mechanics of starcraft, warcraft, diablo, etc have all stayed the same while adding additional assets or removing some assets. There's usually less "change" and more "add" and "remove" with sequels.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again, NS1 was not a formal game sold to people, so the idea that NS2 is a sequel in a business sense of the word is sort of dumb. No one is accusing UWE of not changing the gameplay like the do of Call of Duty, so I don't see the problem.

NS1 was a half-life modification. It was the best one, but it was still just that. It was good enough to be sold as its own game.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most games that have sequels don't try to redesign fundamental game elements, but rather add additional elements to what is already a working system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> I wish this was true for D3. It's the ultimate showcase of how to ruin a franchise in a sequel, not that blizzard will care since they sold millions of copies on just the name alone.

I think we need to give the devs credit for trying new things in the first place, and then having to guts to return on their steps if it ended up not working the way they hoped. Yes, they could have just gone with NS 1: Spark, but that wouldn't be nearly as exciting as actually trying to improve upon an already amazing game. NS 2 is nudging closer to NS 1 on some fronts, which is a good thing, but it's still quite different overall. I think it goes without saying that NS 2 will remain NS 2, and some of the additions/improvements they have made are actually working out quite alright, while others simply need tweaking.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940557:date=May 31 2012, 07:14 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 31 2012, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940557"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again, NS1 was not a formal game sold to people, so the idea that NS2 is a sequel in a business sense of the word is sort of dumb. No one is accusing UWE of not changing the gameplay like the do of Call of Duty, so I don't see the problem.

NS1 was a half-life modification. It was the best one, but it was still just that. It was good enough to be sold as its own game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So what do you want UWE to do exactly? Finish NS2, then move on to creating an NS1-port on Spark? NS2 only needs (relatively) slight modifications to be turned into NS1, they would basically be selling the same product twice. Besides, there already is an NS1:Spark floating about the forums.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to work on the same thing, again...
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1940594:date=May 31 2012, 03:43 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ May 31 2012, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to work on the same thing, again...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^this
    I'm animating for a 2D fighter at the moment and I can't stand redrawing a single frame, much less redoing an entire character in a prettier engine/resolution while trying to translate ALL the numbers into said new engine to make the gameplay feel just right.

Let NS2 be NS2, and join/help out the NS1: Spark mod if you'd really like to try NS1 all prettified.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940594:date=May 31 2012, 03:43 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ May 31 2012, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to work on the same thing, again...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep. I'm a software developer, not a game developer, but its incredibly boring to work on the same product twice without any new ideas. I expect thats even more the case in video games, since its much more of a creative process.

When you go back to something, you always want to do all the ideas you thought might be cool but couldn't afford or implement before. UWE have done alot of toying around - some mechanics from NS1 have turned out right, some new ones have turned out for the better.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1940531:date=May 31 2012, 06:25 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 31 2012, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940531"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge has bile bomb, Lerk has bite, marines have a full grenade launcher instead of the attachment.

NS1 wasn't sold as a game, so why not just sell it as a game with this new engine? Sure, I like some changes with NS2. I like the IDEA of the alien commander. But it has never felt quite right in actual gameplay because the gorge is less enjoyable. If you get it to work and feel good, great. I love it. But it feels forced right now.

Also comm station fixing will always suck for those who played NS1, but I have already posted about that.

It looks like gameplay is heading towards NS1 and I hope that continues while still maintaining a FEW of the current aspects of NS2. As it stands right now, the power node/onos issue still exists but people are not all going onos right now because they want to try the new Lerk. Nothing stops a team from getting 10 onos in the first 12 minutes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm hoping that they will make it much similar to NS1.

NS1 IS THE MOST AMAZING GAME EVER
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I'd like to refer to this post : <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115901&view=findpost&p=1895163" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1895163</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1895163:date=Jan 17 2012, 06:25 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jan 17 2012, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really don't like the format of your video here, especially with all the swearing and rudeness. But a few points:

- We haven't announced any release date, so I'm not sure where you're getting that. Stop telling people when you think we're going to release and pretending it's fact.
    - This sounds like similar griping that was heard between TF and TF2. As a player I'm sure you feel threatened when we try new things, but if we had to make the same game over and over, then we would go work on Madden and there would be no more NS-anything.
    - Most of the balance data is identical to NS1. Check balance.txt and Balance.lua and BalanceHealth.lua to see for yourself. I changed the resource model because it wasn't thought through at all when I started NS1 and isn't anything good to build on top of. We're not making an RTS, we're making an FPS that has RTS elements. There were some big problems with the resource model in NS1 which led to the game being unbalanced at every size game instead of 6v6. I considered the resource model in NS1 to be pretty flawed.
    - The Alien Commander isn't properly implemented yet so please don't evaluate it yet.
    - We agree with structure vs. structure play and we're working on it. You'll see a big improvement shortly with Lerk spores "confusing" sentries, which allow aliens working together to defeat sentries.
    - We are not EA. We're don't have oodles of cash to work on the most technically perfect, gameplay-identical sequel which we will then released with a big marketing campaign to players who want "more of the same". We wanted to continue our tradition of NS1 where we co-develop our game with the community, taking feedback as we go, when we actually have time to take it into account and rework whole systems.

It sounds to me like you just want NS1 - well congratulations, it's available for free RIGHT NOW. We're not interested in re-making the same game and I don't think most of you want us to do the same. It sounds like NS2 (and perhaps any kind of change) is not for you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Closing this thread.
This discussion has been closed.