Shawdostep stabbing "frag movie"

SintSint Join Date: 2007-01-09 Member: 59540Members, Squad Five Blue
edited May 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Since it seems to be gone permanently, here is video if you missed it</div>Shadowstep stabbing was quite rare and took quite long time to learn and use it properly. Build 208 "fixed" it so it not possible to use it anymore and seems stab is also going to disappear soon. Anyway it was cool ability so decided to make frag movie about it. Was going to get more footage, but that's not possible anymore, so it became out being quite shortish, but anyway here is the link:

<a href="http://youtu.be/lnn0QPY4tMQ" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/lnn0QPY4tMQ</a>

Edit: Doh, unable to fix post title.

Comments

• WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Nice drifter shield :D
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited May 2012
    Shame that they are taking it out. Step stab was one of my favorite abilities and it made the fade somewhat fun. :-/

Also the sound effect was awesome.

Anyways, nice video ;)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2012
    I submitted that report. You're welcome. :-P
    It was frustratingly exploitable, as stab was never meant to allow you to move at the same time, obviously, shadowstep was just added in the mix.

<i>Its a one hit kill</i> that's incredibly easy to pull off the second you know the average distance traveled for shadowstep - an invisible, mobile, one hit kill can be extremely frustrating/unfair for even the best marine. The issue is compounded by the sometimes 180 degree angle of damage his weapons allow. (just see 0:10, 0:40, 2:07 as examples of not requiring precise aiming and 1:50 for the range!) If the damage was lowered i wouldn't have minded but:

This all really doesn't mean much though, considering stab has been planned to go away for a while now. Here's hoping its not a one hit kill!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    except it's countered as a 1 hit kill by a2.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    What other stuff that people are playing with and enjoying is going to be removed? This already happened with swarm/frenzy and I would've been just as surprised then if I wasn't reading the forums to see it forecasted..
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    I thought this was a really cool vid. I look forward to when NS2 has some more fluidity, and you get more of a sense of adrenaline of the sort I felt watching this!
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Watching that video I'm happy they removed the functionality.
  • SintSint Join Date: 2007-01-09 Member: 59540Members, Squad Five Blue
    I guess it was too good sometimes yes. But was pretty risky to use in competitive games so didn't use it much there.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1937471:date=May 19 2012, 11:16 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ May 19 2012, 11:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I submitted that report. You're welcome. :-P
    It was frustratingly exploitable, as stab was never meant to allow you to move at the same time, obviously, shadowstep was just added in the mix.

<i>Its a one hit kill</i> that's incredibly easy to pull off the second you know the average distance traveled for shadowstep - an invisible, mobile, one hit kill can be extremely frustrating/unfair for even the best marine. The issue is compounded by the sometimes 180 degree angle of damage his weapons allow. (just see 0:10, 0:40, 2:07 as examples of not requiring precise aiming and 1:50 for the range!) If the damage was lowered i wouldn't have minded but:

This all really doesn't mean much though, considering stab has been planned to go away for a while now. Here's hoping its not a one hit kill!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blah blah, Snitch!

We need Attack without latency after blink instead.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Lol, they're taking out stabbing, so I'm using it as much as I can :)

I still like to shadow step then stab before a marine sees you. Then blink out.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1937654:date=May 20 2012, 10:42 AM:name=bLink`)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bLink` @ May 20 2012, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol, they're taking out stabbing, so I'm using it as much as I can :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that way you'll be like twice as good when it's removed and all the time was wasted!
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1937487:date=May 19 2012, 11:48 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ May 19 2012, 11:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->except it's countered as a 1 hit kill by a2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So it's only effective early game... when you won't be getting Fade.

I say add it back in and if the marines don't have Armour 2 by the time the aliens have a fade then that is their own fault and they should play better.

and to be honest, in the video, the amount of damage the Rines are getting off on him is appalling... they kind of deserved to die.
  • SintSint Join Date: 2007-01-09 Member: 59540Members, Squad Five Blue
    It is actually quite good on end game with armor3, since its 1 stab+1swipe to kill marine with armor 3, and that swipe can be hit right after stab so it can kill marines with full armor pretty fast.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1937487:date=May 20 2012, 12:48 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ May 20 2012, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->except it's countered as a 1 hit kill by a2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You need armor 3 to prevent the 1 hit kill.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    Funny thing is that it isn't even that skillful or hard to pull off, it was just imbalanced. Not to say the player in this video is bad or not good or anything.

I hadn't played Fade in ages since NS1 and I've been playing again the past few weeks and figured it out for myself and it's just plain imbalanced. Too easy to get kills imo, those that think it's that hard to get that timing down, it really isn't once you understand when to click and when to blink. It's rather easy.

Also, the blink energy should cost more, a good Fade can get in kill and get out with so much flexibility nowadays it's kinda dumb. I can often force them off my teammates with 2 well placed shotgun blasts or some focus'd LMG fire but killing them is something that rarely happens.

I like playing Fade and I want him to be good but as it is now I believe he has too much flexibility for mistakes in attacks/retreats.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1938187:date=May 22 2012, 05:54 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ May 22 2012, 05:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You need armor 3 to prevent the 1 hit kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that changed with the marine armor buff.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Funny thing is that it isn't even that skillful or hard to pull off, it was just imbalanced. I hadn't play Fade in ages since NS1 and I've been playing again the past few weeks and figured it out for myself and it's just plain imbalanced. Too easy to get kills imo, those that think it's that hard to get that timing down, it really isn't once you understand when to click and when to blink. It's rather easy.

Also, the blink energy should cost more, a good Fade can get in kill and get out with so much flexibility nowadays it's kinda dumb. I can often force them off my teammates with 2 well placed shotgun blasts or some focus'd LMG fire but killing them is something that rarely happens.

I like playing Fade and I want him to be good but as it is now I believe he has too much flexibility for mistakes in attacks/retreats.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No one said it was hard to pull off. Still, it was more fun than simple swiping / blinking.

The range may have needed some tweaking, but it was not overpowered. It left you very vulnerable for a pretty long time. I killed dozens of fades trying it by strafe jumping when he stepped.

Edit: but you are right with the fade being too easy. Nerfing him more will not solve this problem though.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2012
    An interesting thing to note, psiwarp and myself found that the fade can swipe you at 90 degree angles to the left or right side... And can even swipe you if you are behind him.

its reported, but I'm still not sure how much leniency it was intended to have.. But it certainly does destroy that claim of "difficult to pull off" (your video led me to investigate.) I do sincerely enjoy an ability that works in conjunction with shadow step though..

Edit: 90 degree angles have been fixed. other oddities like swiping from behind are being worked on.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1937491:date=May 19 2012, 11:56 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 19 2012, 11:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What other stuff that people are playing with and enjoying is going to be removed? This already happened with swarm/frenzy and I would've been just as surprised then if I wasn't reading the forums to see it forecasted..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Even though I didn't play this build, this shadowstep stabbing looks quite fun... something the fade isn't.