Power Nodes and Nodes of Power

The Micks KetchesThe Micks Ketches Join Date: 2012-05-02 Member: 151441Members
edited May 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<blockquote>With the current build, constructing and rebuilding a power-node requires little investment in the form of time, effort, and vulnerability. The initial socketed power-node has the additional investment in the form of a building that is placed in that area, but once a power node is destroyed it can be rebuild with little additional cost. The persistence of power-nodes despite the area being taken over by Kharaa (and the buildings it powered already destroyed) is a common occurrence with many players not bothering to mess with them at all if the area is heavily contested.</blockquote>
<blockquote> It seems that Marines are getting too much bang for their buck when rebuilding a power node, with the value created by rebuilding a power-node inappropriate for the input given. </blockquote>

While still keeping the node a low risk structure, I propose these options to keep power-node spam under control:

<ul><li>Each destruction lowers the constructed health of a power node requiring a welder or MAC to bring it back to full HP. (ex: Rebuilt power node has 75% HP after 1 destruction, 50% after 2, 33% after 3+). Associate each diminished state with a lower frequency powered_on sound for more intuitiveness. </li><li>Each destruction lowers the constructed health of a power node <i>unless </i> a welder or MAC brings it back to full HP. (Perhaps ignored in an area with a tech point or Command Center present)</li><li>Require welders or MACs to rebuild a power node</li><li>If no buildings are present in the area, the socket beneath the node can be destroyed as well.</li></ul>
Other Suggestions:
<ul><li>Cost rez to rebuild</li><li>Associate nodes only with lights & sentries (requiring welders to rebuild)</li></ul>

Power node spam has bugged me for a while especially when I see some newcomers munching at a node in a contested area knowing they will do little good.

Comments

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the decreasing health of power nodes is a little unintuitive. would rather they just cost some res to replace/rebuild.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2012
    Needing welders for powernodes would be epic, but then they should no longer be tied to power. Just lights and sentries, like someone suggested, could work. (And faster infestation growth for aliens in red lighted rooms)
  • The Micks KetchesThe Micks Ketches Join Date: 2012-05-02 Member: 151441Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932706:date=May 2 2012, 04:36 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ May 2 2012, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the decreasing health of power nodes is a little unintuitive. would rather they just cost some res to replace/rebuild.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I dunno, to me at least a diminishing returns seems just as intuitive when applied to power nodes or bunny hopping; especially if the marines were to notice that the node they just built had only 75% of its HP. /my2drachmas
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Perhaps let infestation turn off power nodes until the infestation is cleared off them?
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1932711:date=May 2 2012, 05:43 PM:name=The Micks Ketches)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Micks Ketches @ May 2 2012, 05:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dunno, to me at least a diminishing returns seems just as intuitive when applied to power nodes or bunny hopping; especially if the marines were to notice that the node they just built had only 75% of its HP. /my2drachmas<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if i were rebuilding a power node and it only went up to 75%, i would think of it as a bug.
  • The Micks KetchesThe Micks Ketches Join Date: 2012-05-02 Member: 151441Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932816:date=May 2 2012, 08:01 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ May 2 2012, 08:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if i were rebuilding a power node and it only went up to 75%, i would think of it as a bug.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can just add a (damaged %) value like the maturity value alien structures have, bam! instant confusion dissipation.