Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 207 released

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 207 released here

Comments

• SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    awesome! thanks guys
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited May 2012
    Hoho, this looks very nice :)

Come on steam, distribute!

Edit: Really hope Bombard is fixed, it's just not worth the res to upgrade (and Mature Whips take so long to get).
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rebalanced Marine armor to have an effect at as many levels as feasible. Marines now get 20 armor with each upgrade level (was 15). Puncture damage multiple changed from 1.5 to 1.25. Aliens should now kill Marines with this many attacks (Armor 0/1/2/3):<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

is there supposed to be more to this note?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Bah, was really hoping to see starting p.res lowered to 10 this patch, and hive sight removed. (Saw it in the tracker somewhere)
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the parent Gorge for any of his structures dies, and doesn't become Gorge again for X seconds, then his structures start dying as if they didn't have infestation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

X = what?
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    Great changes and fixes!

<!--quoteo(post=1932753:date=May 3 2012, 01:02 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ May 3 2012, 01:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932753"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bah, was really hoping to see starting p.res lowered to 10 this patch, and hive sight removed. (Saw it in the tracker somewhere)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

UWE is working on a new hive sight, i dont think the removal of hive sight was ever in the plan.
  • militaerkidmilitaerkid Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58249Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    nice changelog but i feel sad for Hugh at the end when he was killed by the onos :<

good luck for your "sprint"
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    edited May 2012
    I'm not liking the new direction that gorges are in now, I want their things to cost PRes again and for there to be no limits, also this is just awful:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the parent Gorge for any of his structures dies, and doesn't become Gorge again for X seconds, then his structures start dying as if they didn't have infestation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I realize this is required because it stops people gorging, dropping a bunch of hydras then going skulk again, but we wouldn't have this problem if they simply cost PRes again.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    promising changelog!

updated charts etc. for b207:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117569" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=117569</a>
    i did not take care of the whip and door damage types yet, puncture is fixed though.

bile bomb splash radius has been lowered from 8 to 4
    fades need 2/3/3/4 hits
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1932752:date=May 2 2012, 07:01 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ May 2 2012, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->is there supposed to be more to this note?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1 minute.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Did you at the % percent sign into the text? heehee, weird typing and no %. :)

Love this game so much, thanks guys.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are now starting a two week "sprint" where we are focused on the new main menu, new Shade abilities and the Shift, while the more engine focused guys (Max and Dushan) are working on performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds good. :)
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited May 2012

i can also confirm that it's 1 minute:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->GorgeInfestationLifetime               :                60<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

gorge build limits seem to be the same as previous limits except they are not upgraded with additional hives.

can't wait to try out the build tomorrow :)

edit: number of bites seems to be 3/3/4/4 for skulks against marines, it was 3/3/3/4 before.

i'll try to get a decent patch-comparision-mechanic done until next patch...
  • GringoBoy87GringoBoy87 Join Date: 2003-12-23 Member: 24702Members
    From my experiences the turrets in 206 had a hard time tracking lerks, so I don't know why spore confusion is being implemented.
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does this mean the bug map on summit where players fell through the world was fixed?
  • Unknown_SoldierUnknown_Soldier Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6395Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><ul><li>Lowered bile bomb splash radius as it was affecting way too big of an area (close to NS1 now)</li><li>Changed corrode damage type (bile bomb) to deal heavy damage (double damage to armor), no damage to players unless exosuit, and reduced bile bomb base damage to 35 per second, down from 80.</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bile Bomb nerfs (does heavy damage do more to buildings, or did the damage just get cut in half?), but where's the Lerk speed un-nerf?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><ul><li>Gorges can no longer place a structure once the limit has been reached (Gorge need to manually destroy them before they are allowed to place a new structure)</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is going to cause a massive head-ache for two reasons. Some structures can not be reached by the Gorges to recycle them, and now if you dropped a cyst somewhere else on the map, you have to go hunting for it. Gods forbid if you don't remember where your extra cyst(s) is.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932776:date=May 3 2012, 01:45 AM:name=BloodyIron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BloodyIron @ May 3 2012, 01:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does this mean the bug map on summit where players fell through the world was fixed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I didn't see any annotations mentioning this, or anyone post it in the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118200" target="_blank">summit feedback thread</a>, so probably not. Could you be more specific?
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I dont know if it is still around, but in recent builds when travelling through the vent's just north of Sub Access in Summit you would fall through the world. Lerks could use this and cheat their way into flight control, being able to shoot players while themselves being almost impossible to be killed. Also, falling through the world sucks.

<!--quoteo(post=1932779:date=May 2 2012, 05:57 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ May 2 2012, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't see any annotations mentioning this, or anyone post it in the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118200" target="_blank">summit feedback thread</a>, so probably not. Could you be more specific?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    That was fixed immediatly, so it was only around for that build.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Interesting bite rate speed up immediately after leap on skulk.

Also, whips utterly demolish ARCs now. I think it would be cool if ARCs were unable to shoot whips when they aren't rooted.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1932756:date=May 2 2012, 03:08 PM:name=cake.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cake. @ May 2 2012, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932756"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great changes and fixes!

UWE is working on a new hive sight, i dont think the removal of hive sight was ever in the plan.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you are confusing alien vision with hive sight. They are (if I recall reading correctly) removing hive sight (seeing marines on infestation) and replacing it with the new drifters. They are working on revising alien vision, aka the alien flashlight.
  • YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
    I'm so disappointed with this build/game it's not even funny. Lets see...

Nano construct is pretty neat, give you props for that one.

"Balances"

Was it really necessary to gut bile bomb?

Whips are ridiculous now, in the sense that for a small Khamm res hit you can spam cysts & whips in a marine expansion with little to no consequence for the alien team. This makes it nearly impossible to remove the cysts/whip spam without help from the majority of your team.

"Changes"

Why did the hydra's accuracy decrease? They're more of an annoyance now when travelling down a hallway or into the hive, instead of a highly defensible structure. Looks like gorges got the res dump they wanted, oh wait it still doesn't cost pres......

The new Observatory "blips" are REALLY distracting. It's like my own personal rave when I'm in the middle of hunting for pesky skulks. Can't see anything, sigh.

"Fixes"

First, fix the flame throwers. You can't kill any playable units with them, structures, sure... if I spend 2 minutes dishing out the ammo, but seriously, if I unload a whole clip with my FT I should be able to kill a skulk.

Performance; I don't know what kind of rigs your playtesters use, but with the constant jerkiness, and frequent FPS drops, this game is really beginning to frustrate not only myself but a vast majority of beta testers.

"Sounds"

Think you lowered the skulk sound too much, can't hear them approach at all now.. well actually, that's not entirely true. I heard him, just as he was ripping my face off. -_-

OK, so, I have to say that, We, the Community, LOVE the new features you folks at UWE are adding to the game, very ingenuitive. However, as it has been mentioned that Max is going through the lua fixing and sorting the code to make the game all that much smoother, it would be nice to know that instead of Receding, this game is actually Progressing. I absolutely love Natural Selection 2, now with that being said, I also love the strategic and teamwork oriented aspect NS2 delivers. I'm not sure where exactly you folks are planning to take this game, but please listen to your testers, your Community... your loyal supporters who will follow you into the depths of hell and hand out popsicle's and treats after you emerge.

We got your back, you got ours too.. right?
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    You've played one round and you already hate it?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1932785:date=May 2 2012, 07:05 PM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ May 2 2012, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you are confusing alien vision with hive sight. They are (if I recall reading correctly) removing hive sight (seeing marines on infestation) and replacing it with the new drifters. They are working on revising alien vision, aka the alien flashlight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

those red circles you see will not be generated when enemies touch infestation. that's now the drifters job (for build 208)
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited May 2012
    we're gonna need a hotfix.. can't spawn after being killed as alien sometimes.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932777:date=May 2 2012, 06:52 PM:name=Unknown_Soldier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Unknown_Soldier @ May 2 2012, 06:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is going to cause a massive head-ache for two reasons. Some structures can not be reached by the Gorges to recycle them, and now if you dropped a cyst somewhere else on the map, you have to go hunting for it. Gods forbid if you don't remember where your extra cyst(s) is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yea thats going to be a pain, I guess you could kill yourself. Wait 60 sec. Not a long term solution.
  • ixnayixnay Join Date: 2012-04-14 Member: 150449Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Clogs have "shock absorbing" property where they can take no more than 50 points of damage in any single attack, making them more resistant to grenades. Will remove this if it feels weird.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should have just said, "Clogs are now officially wall of lame 2.0. You even need 5 grenades to take one down now."
  • YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1932788:date=May 2 2012, 05:10 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ May 2 2012, 05:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932788"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You've played one round and you already hate it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You never experienced any problems with your what, 280-300 ping?
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1932754:date=May 3 2012, 01:02 AM:name=Gravity Grave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gravity Grave @ May 3 2012, 01:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->X = what?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    just testet it in lan, they start dying right away without delay, even if you hop into the hive to command they start dying.

sounds harsh, but ill give it a try tomorow in some pub games.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    The wall of lame was a giant OC wall with a mass of D chambers healing it. Clogs are not that. Also they are resistant to grenades but not other weapon types as much (shotguns maybe), so I don't see your point.