What else is needed before release?

Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
Just wondering what the devs are expecting to add before the game is release ready, it seems to be in a decent state now but there's still quite a few features missing and stuff that needs work.

<ul><li> Proper infestation?</li><li> Server downloads/full mod support.</li><li> A few more maps.</li><li> Improved menus like fsfod's?</li><li> Exosuit.</li></ul>

Also what can be expected after release?
<ul><li>New art/themes, biodome etc.</li><li>More maps.</li><li>More community content, new game modes like combat etc.</li><li>More polish and performance.</li></ul>

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You forgot shift and babblers, and probably some other (minor) things.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    given perf is the highest priority for the next 2 months or so for engine guys I can see moving proper infestation, server download, & other engine impacting features (e.g. transparency) until after release. uwe just might be able to do it all, but i wouldnt rage if these were delayed.

on the feature front, finishing the mentioned tier3s, doing a feature freeze & getting ample time (mo+) to balance features & final map set after this pass on a perf bump is completed.
  • Tool8Tool8 Join Date: 2012-01-01 Member: 139405Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931790:date=Apr 30 2012, 01:56 PM:name=jbaker8935)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jbaker8935 @ Apr 30 2012, 01:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->given perf is the highest priority for the next 2 months or so for engine guys I can see moving proper infestation, server download, & other engine impacting features (e.g. transparency) until after release. uwe just might be able to do it all, but i wouldnt rage if these were delayed.

on the feature front, finishing the mentioned tier3s, doing a feature freeze & getting ample time (mo+) to balance features & final map set after this pass on a perf bump is completed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If they don't get DI and server download etc. into the game until summer, they better delay the release instead of releasing it without those features.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Some type of anti-cheat countermeasures as well I believe.
  • Evo303Evo303 Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149199Members
    I really hope we see the full DI before release - from a purely visual perspective that will transform the look of the game (if it's anything at all like the prototype video)
  • FreemantleFreemantle Join Date: 2002-06-16 Member: 783Members
    edited April 2012
    This is a pretty simple question...

<ol type='1'><li>Full tech tree
    <ul><li>Marines
    <ul><li>Exo-suit & Related Weapons</li></ul></li><li>Aliens
    <ul><li>Shift</li><li>3rd Abilities</li></ul></li></ul></li><li>Balance
    <ul><li>This is a lot of stuff:
    <ul><li>Combat balance</li><li>Resource balance
    <ul><li>Energy-based commander abilities</li></ul></li><li>Balance between pace and diversity of viable strategies (metagame)</li></ul></li></ul></li><li>Performance
    <ul><li>CPU demands</li><li>Framerate</li><li>Stability</li></ul></li><li>Polish
    <ul><li>Structure placement</li><li>Commander interface</li><li>Weapon behavior/HitReg</li><li>Intuitive gameplay elements</li></ul></li></ol>
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    going to be a really exciting next few months :)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited April 2012
    Dynamic Infestation was a big selling point of NS2 for me but I've a sinking feeling we'll be stuck with cysts.

Marines need tier 3 units - that's a must.

I'd like to see a clear and understandable old fashioned tech tree as well.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931823:date=Apr 30 2012, 08:09 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Apr 30 2012, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but I've a sinking feeling we'll be stuck with cysts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope DI makes it in eventually :( was a big selling point for me too, before I actually got the beta I thought it *was* part of the game already because I saw it in that demo vid
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lol, they should not fix the performance after release. Well, unless you want to get bad reviews because of the terrible performance of course :)

Also what Freemantle said basically with the addition of better hitreg/hitboxes as they seem whacky right now..
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    You can add "AFK auto-kick" to the list; as well as, vote kicking players
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    All the stuff on your list will be done for release, and much much more.

<!--quoteo(post=1931823:date=Apr 30 2012, 03:09 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Apr 30 2012, 03:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dynamic Infestation was a big selling point of NS2 for me but I've a sinking feeling we'll be stuck with cysts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The final DI will have cysts. Cysts are not some stand in feature that was there because we didn't have the time to do the proper DI tech yet, they were added for gameplay necessity.

--Cory
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931823:date=Apr 30 2012, 03:09 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Apr 30 2012, 03:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dynamic Infestation was a big selling point of NS2 for me but I've a sinking feeling we'll be stuck with cysts.

I'd like to see a clear and understandable old fashioned tech tree as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

never liked cycts, but the reason they added them is so the marines can easily counter infestation, which actually nerfed infestation. The way infestation works currently, limits aliens and constantly (as commander) having to select them and keep dropping them pretty annoying. Alien commander doesn't feel right at all. So yeah, I want to see dynamic Infestation, the current version is extremely lacking.

As for the tech tree, I strongly prefer NS1 tech tree. It forced both sides to expand, or die. So you either expand, secure locations or die. Sitting in one base teching up, pretty lame.

BUT the biggest thing NS2 needs, BETTER PERFORMANCE. the game is completely unplayable, playing with barely 25fps, and having that drop down, that's pretty bad. Without stable engine, you will never enjoy the game. 4 months till its release!
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i remember something like "twice the fps when shipping" in one of their articles about performance. the article explained that fully optimising something which might still be changed/removed can be wasted effort. i guess we can expect some nice improvements on fps as soon as the game mechanics are "done".

post-release also includes female marines and a nuke. i also heard a rumor about a 4th-hive-game-ender creature/thing for kharaa, not sure if this is true.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931856:date=Apr 30 2012, 04:36 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Apr 30 2012, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i remember something like "twice the fps when shipping" in one of their articles about performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not really enough for the client, and wholly insufficient for the server.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'm hoping for a demo recorder with replay functions and something along the lines of a film maker or demo smoother
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't understand how you guys plan on getting the DI using cysts. It would still be a little circle, wouldn't it?
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1931830:date=Apr 30 2012, 05:29 PM:name=Omega_K2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omega_K2 @ Apr 30 2012, 05:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol, they should not fix the performance after release. Well, unless you want to get bad reviews because of the terrible performance of course :)

Also what Freemantle said basically with the addition of better hitreg/hitboxes as they seem whacky right now..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

Indeed!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1931856:date=Apr 30 2012, 12:36 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Apr 30 2012, 12:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i remember something like "twice the fps when shipping" in one of their articles about performance. the article explained that fully optimising something which might still be changed/removed can be wasted effort. i guess we can expect some nice improvements on fps as soon as the game mechanics are "done".

post-release also includes female marines and a nuke. i also heard a rumor about a 4th-hive-game-ender creature/thing for kharaa, not sure if this is true.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

twice the fps is insufficient. i have a better rig than many of the prospective gamers waiting to play this game, and i regularly dip down into the teens in heavy combat and in the low 20s just running around with different effects in view. they need to do better than that. at this point though, i'm hoping they are just underpromising and overdelivering. Given the history of their PR though, i don't have much hope for that.
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    if this game wants to be taken seriously,,

it needs working multi threading
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Considering that it's not feature complete it's the same as taking two steps forward and three backward every time you implement something while you're trying to improve performance. It's best to hold your concerns until you see the exo and shift in the game along with other implementations. UWE has big plans for optimization.

Menu is being worked on.

Maps: have like 3-4 maps that are currently being worked on that have yet to be implemented.

Server downloads isn't a hug priority considering that the programming time is being used for other things right now (you seem to never be patient with this, electr0, and you need to be).

There's a lot of prioritization going on right now especially getting the game content complete. I can assure you that your concerns pretty much match those of the PT Group. UWE is working as hard as they can.. I mean this Sunday you even saw Chops in the office!