[Project] Custom Map Distribution & Promotion

RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
So many good custom maps, so little people playing them. It hurts me to see people work for months on a map no one wants to play. We need to find a way to get maps out to everyone so we can test them, improve them, and get them into the final game.

Comments

• SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    I think the number one problem, is not the lack of servers using them, but the lack of know-how for people to download them.
  • [HEI] Spade[HEI] Spade Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151223Members, Squad Five Blue
    That's why an "auto-downloader" should be implemented in the game as NS1. I remember there was a project a few month ago to implement it, no?
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Auto-downloader will solve the problem, but I've got a different approach.

15 people (plus me) from the community are elected to a committee, and every weekend we have playtests on maps. The map makers submit their maps to us for certification. The maps are judged on three aspects (in order from most to least important):
    *Technical (bugs, optomization)
    *Gameplay (balance, flow)
    *Art (prettyness, aesthetics, uniqueness)

If the map passes in all three criteria, then we have a vote on it. The vote requires 2/3rd vote, and if it passes it is sent to UWE to approve or veto it. If the map makes it past the certification, gets a 2/3rd committee vote, and it approved by UWE, then it is added to the game.