Use Steam Nick as Ingame Nick

FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
The last weeks I saw alot of ppl doing ###### with nicks of other players. Some of my friends even got trolled this way. The problem is there are around 50 players that are well known, if I see Swalk I know how he plays, same for Wilson and I can even see the differences between Walters rages and a fake nick users rages (with walters nick). That's because I play with them now for over 1 year on PUBs and sometimes on Scrims.

So it makes me sad and angry at the same time that good playersnicks are used from a unmature male/female.
And in NS2 it is almost impossible to identificate a player without OM.
If you can't proove he wasn't it, some ppl will think it really was him and sometimes it results in a Ban, if the real nickuser joins the server and an admin is on to use om_ban.

Comments

• MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    I agree, this is a problem on TF2. People have started creating some kind of auto name change script and their name will literally change every 5 seconds.
    It's impossible to track them down because their name is always the same as someone currently playing on that server. Plus you see the name change update in the chat menu.

And your right flood, I got banned from a TF2 server cause somebody was using my nick and hacking. Well the admin picked the wrong one and banned me from their server. Not cool.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    shouldnt it be easy to ban cheaters because of the steam id? or maybe even better the key that u get when buying the game, just ban that client with that key, if he wants to continue to cheat he has to buy ns2 again. so they would support uwe while ruining the game for others, i would sleep better that way, knowing that **** cheater has to support my beloved game developers if he wants to try again.

and who knows, after 5-10 tries, he might acctualy considder not cheating....
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I disagree only because i like using a different name. There should be an admin type mod coming out soon that will allow a lock down of names through Steam ID and that should be enough. This is more to due with servers anyway and not game altering. It does suck but i think we can squash it as a community.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Could players not do the exact same thing with steam handles too?
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1928947:date=Apr 23 2012, 10:53 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Apr 23 2012, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree, this is a problem on TF2. People have started creating some kind of auto name change script and their name will literally change every 5 seconds.
    It's impossible to track them down because their name is always the same as someone currently playing on that server. Plus you see the name change update in the chat menu.

And your right flood, I got banned from a TF2 server cause somebody was using my nick and hacking. Well the admin picked the wrong one and banned me from their server. Not cool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In TF2 the nick is tied to the steam nick, and as far I know that script is some sort of hack. However, in TF2 it's not a problem with decent admins, looking at the status output you'll be able to tell who is who. In addition, there is also a sourcemod plugin that autobans those namechangers.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think allowing people to use their own nick is much better then forcing them to use their steam nick. For example, you can easily change your nick in game to put clan tags etc on without having to affect your steam nick (where you might use a community tag or so).

The solution would be to provide easier identification, for example, this is how you can easily identify the players in CS:S:

Userid: Unique id since the server start
    SteamID: well, steamid obviously.

With a custom plugin, you can also see the following (in css:)

Entity index: Position of the player in the player array
    IP: ip address of the player

With that capability, admins should be easily be able to idenftiy the players. If they still do not that and ban people without verifying they are the real person first, it's more of a problem with a bad (or inexperienced) admin.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    People who wants to "lock their name down" think in peculiar ways. It just doesn't make sense to me. I grew up playing Half-Life games, I was always changing my name for either a fresh start or a joke.

Ya I've been impersonated a few times, but that is a possibility in all aspects of life not just games. There are negative attributes that come with being able to lock down a name, for instance not being able to use the one you want. Who cares if somebody else has it?! My name in real life is Michael for crying out loud, I've met dozens of other Michaels.

You know how many "Flayra" I've played with in NS1? It was actually never really a problem, because the guy impersonating knew if he sucked we would not believe it was Flayra, so he tried hard. But looking back, no real scars from how the system worked. Overall I remember the fun times created by the open name system.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1929252:date=Apr 24 2012, 04:21 PM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Apr 24 2012, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People who wants to "lock their name down" think in peculiar ways. It just doesn't make sense to me. I grew up playing Half-Life games, I was always changing my name for either a fresh start or a joke.

Ya I've been impersonated a few times, but that is a possibility in all aspects of life not just games. There are negative attributes that come with being able to lock down a name, for instance not being able to use the one you want. Who cares if somebody else has it?! My name in real life is Michael for crying out loud, I've met dozens of other Michaels.

You know how many "Flayra" I've played with in NS1? It was actually never really a problem, because the guy impersonating knew if he sucked we would not believe it was Flayra, so he tried hard. But looking back, no real scars from how the system worked. Overall I remember the fun times created by the open name system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But there are also PPL like me that have the same nick for years. I never changed my nick since 13 years and every Floodinator you will see it's me. I don't wan't others use my nick, thats why my nick is regged on Punkbuster.
    Your name in RL is something different than online. It wasn't you that choosed the name, it was your parents ( My first name is Gaëtan I've only met 2 others with that name but 100s of Michel [my 2. name]).
    Online nicks are often names that are as special that it is unique and also has something to do with your personality.

Ns2 isn't source where I can type status in the console the get the players ID. I would love to see a system to bind your nick to your Guid so that only you can use this specific nick.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I don't think the solution is to lock the name to the steam name but there have been a few occurrences of people using other people names or just smurfing in general to avoid being called out for team stacking and what not recently. Not that smurfing is inherently bad or anything, but usually people do it so that they can do things such as team stacking or exploiting without drawing the heat to their real name.

The best solution would be for a mod to be created that keeps track of names associated with a steamID to allow admins an easier time to figure out who is who. However, due to the way the server currently logs players info this is pretty much impossible to do via the log files so it would have to be an active mod that keeps track of each connection attempt and names. Maybe this could be added as a feature of overmind eventually since it is geared for admins and server owners.

However, I don't think we have to go that drastic yet as the community is still very small and I would hope that people would not risk their ability to play the game by being banned from some servers due to their childish actions but as the community grows this is going to occur more frequently.

The simplest thing to do at the current time is to notify server admins for the servers that you frequent when this happens. This in itself should be enough to deal with most cases until a better solution can be implemented.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1929252:date=Apr 24 2012, 02:21 PM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Apr 24 2012, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know how many "Flayra" I've played with in NS1? It was actually never really a problem, because the guy impersonating knew if he sucked we would not believe it was Flayra, so he tried hard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Doesn't Flayra suck at the game though? So in order to be believable you have to be a real baddy, heh.

Anyway, the om_players-command (which is GameOvermind's equivalent of "status") can be used by random plebs if the server-operator so desires. I just set it to inaccessible by default because I still consider Steam-Ids as bits of private-information, but I guess others may think differently, so it's up to anyone to change the guest-priviliges.

For fake-nickers there exists no definitive solution. There are multiple ways to go about it, one would be for the server to set a client's nick to that what he has most used, which will keep out all but the most determined fakers. Another thing you can consider is a community-database of sorts, which all servers will query upon a client's connection to set their nicks to a predesignated value, but that feels a bit too big-brother for my taste.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1929511:date=Apr 25 2012, 04:43 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Apr 25 2012, 04:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doesn't Flayra suck at the game though? So in order to be believable you have to be a real baddy, heh.

Anyway, the om_players-command (which is GameOvermind's equivalent of "status") can be used by random plebs if the server-operator so desires. I just set it to inaccessible by default because I still consider Steam-Ids as bits of private-information, but I guess others may think differently, so it's up to anyone to change the guest-priviliges.

For fake-nickers there exists no definitive solution. There are multiple ways to go about it, one would be for the server to set a client's nick to that what he has most used, which will keep out all but the most determined fakers. Another thing you can consider is a community-database of sorts, which all servers will query upon a client's connection to set their nicks to a predesignated value, but that feels a bit too big-brother for my taste.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Steam ID isn't really privat. I can look with who I played the last games via steam and voila I have his profile and steam id.

Your first Idea sounds interesting. Couldn't be alot of things done via steamworks? I am sure it also collects infos about nicks, ips, ID and others. I am not sure hiw many infos UWE has about a client.
  • -Azona--Azona- Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150074Members
    Nice idea, to bad steam names are also dubble.

I got same issue with other player, stop arguing.

I been using Azona as my game name sins 1994, I got steam accound Azona ect ect. yet we get 1 2 and 3 behind 1 of 2 of us all the time even though his name is different in caipital letters.

Idea is nice, but problem lies with steam in this case, Steam allowes more people have same steam nick name.

if you ask me, it should be removed :) then I could be once more 1 and only Azona but I wont see it happend.

Greets
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    Make steam nick and ID show up with a mouseover when you go over their name in scoreboard.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What is this going to achieve? You can do the same exact thing with your Steam nick.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I played in gmod as admin in several communities, and I never really liked ppl that use namechanging scripts, but it is a part of the game, as honestly, its just a harmless joke.

If someone like that however break the rules and I have to ban them, it is not really that hard to pick them out, i just type status a few times, check what steam id changed their name, and ban that guy (provided I know its he who broke the rules). I always know who it was though, as I had several clientside scripts so I could keep a constant check on any player I wanted, and could see what stuff belonged to whom.
    So a simple solution would just be to add a status command and a slider to the ns2 console, and make some mods that either log who does certain tasks (recycle last ip, or whatever the server owner might deem banable), or clientside notification mods admins could use.

It might also help if you could sort the scoreboard by playerid (usually the order they joined srv in), as then when you see a name change, you know who the namechanger is.
    The solution is not locking nicks however, for reasons ppl already pointed out.
  • ubeubeubeube Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151211Members
    As i played much people change their name ingame.
    how?
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932599:date=May 2 2012, 09:19 AM:name=ubeube)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ubeube @ May 2 2012, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932599"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As i played much people change their name ingame.
    how?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Type this into the console:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->name Yourname<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    No thank you. I don't wear clan tags on my SteamID.
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    Just add the people you like to play with to your steam friends list and you'll see clearly if you play with them or not. ;) Just ignore the faking trolls.
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932992:date=May 3 2012, 11:32 AM:name=Uzguz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzguz @ May 3 2012, 11:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No thank you. I don't wear clan tags on my SteamID.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is a good point. There should be a separate field in the options menu for clan tags. This would make it possible to clean up the scoreboard and probably make it easier for Dghelneshi and other modders (and eventually UWE) to implement neat team labels in "competitive" mode.
    <!--quoteo(post=1932996:date=May 3 2012, 11:58 AM:name=Hackepeter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hackepeter @ May 3 2012, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just add the people you like to play with to your steam friends list and you'll see clearly if you play with them or not. ;) Just ignore the faking trolls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just bad that some freinds are marked offline sometimes (me included) to play without getting chats all the time.

Agiels idea sounds good. It would be a similar system like in CoD and AA.
    you can just modify you clantag but not the name.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    I don't see what this is supposed to accomplish, since you can change your Steam name whenever you want to.

Besides that, handling the name on a per-game basis is the superior way (and this is what NS2 does atm).
    Some people use completely different names for different games. Some wear a clan tag in game A, but not in game B. Some don't want in-game nick and Steam friends name to be the same. In all these cases using the Steam name is an annoyance.