Apr 21/22 | Competitive Games This Weekend

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
edited April 2012 in Competitive Play
Gentlemen, ladies - Sunday was a massive, massive success. Let's do it all again!

Not everyone wants to be cast, but for those that do, let's organise another huge day of live NS2 that will help this game grow.

<b><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Games<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>

[Saturday] Darkside v Exertus 1500 US-EST | 1200 US-PST | 2300 UTC
[Saturday] -[420]- v Mr 2100 US-EST | 1800 US-PST | 0100 UTC (+1)
[Sunday] 156 v Exertus 1400 US-EST | 1100 US-PST | 1900 UTC | Dr Leto co-commentating
[Sunday] Darkside v All-In | 1500 US-EST | 1200 US-PST | 2000 UTC
[Sunday] Archaea v All-In] | 1600 US-EST | 1300 US-PST| 2100 UTC
[Sunday] Archaea v 420 | 1700 US-EST
Let's fill this list!

Post up any games you have planned!

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Guest Commentators</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I'm hoping that this weekend I won't even talk during some games. I want you guys to start to take over as the fact is you're all more knowledgeable than me anyway! So far, I think the following are in:

WasabiOne
Zeikko
Arkanti
Letonator / [Dr.]Leto

People I would love to have on, if you are out there:
InternetsLive
Scrajm
Grissi
<b>Anyone else</b> who is energetic, humble, fun, and full of a burning desire to support the NS2 community!

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>Remember, all players and servers must have the latest version of the Skycam mod installed - The version we included in B205 is borked</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Comments

• JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2012
    Im trying to get my 6 for sunday. We have might have a match with D|S and would be happy to take on any full teams after that. Thanks :)
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    If you need a commentator, I'd be down.
  • TremanNTremanN Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8471Members
    Try dual commentators. One play-by-play guy and a color commentator.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    I think those 2 roles are supposed to be fufilled by the same guy; Color commentary and statements of the obvious for the less competitively experienced player / caster. And then the analysis guy to give viewers an idea of what the rationale is behind the players decisions and all that junk.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I would love to cast as a guest commentator in the future, but in order for me to truly contribute I need to train my skills first.

Now to some feedback some of these can be done now and some for the future.

I feel like you need to test the stream before going live, you don't want those low voice problems from co casters to pop up everytime u call someone. allso do a test stream to get rid of the problem where casters voice and game sound are unbalanced at times and viewers only hear one over the other take feedback from viewers.

Skycam needs a function to spectate your co caster's camera that way one can maybe focus on marines while the other on aliens so everytime hes looking at something specific you can easly jump to him, this will allso allow you to keep tabs on your own side like upgrades and such. and you exchange teams mid game or every other match.

put some music on between matches, now I dont know if u need some sort of permint to stream music but there are alot of people out there that put their music out for free and I am sure they will be more than glad that you use it because they get more exposure, so simple enough just ask first. Simon K prolly have alot out there for free right?

I tweeted you this allready but incase you didnt see it, for volym changes use the built in Windows sound mixer, this will make it a little easier.

during low action moments in the match take some time to talk about strats that you would like to see or have seen in older matchups, or strats that would give one team more advantage over the other based on their current tech ( you do this sometimes just needs improving and more of ), allso take some time to talk about individual players their strengths, weaknesses during the match or in general.

That is it for now if I come up with something else I will keep adding in the same post.
  • LetonatorLetonator Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150632Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2012
    I was asked to post my name up here as a guest commentator, and I'd also like to provide some information for you all on myself.

I'm Dan, one half of the Rob & Dan Show, but I also go by Leto around the internets. I'm eager to help cast a few matches with you folks, as I've been itching to get back into it ever since I did Starcraft 2 live commentary a few years back.

Here are a few links to some examples of work I've done in the past:
    <a href="http://www.rdpodcast.com" target="_blank">http://www.rdpodcast.com</a>
    <a href="http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9185662" target="_blank">http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9185662</a>
    <a href="http://www.livestream.com/omfgnetwork/folder?dirId=a5eb78ca-3718-4772-ad81-5fcd14053896" target="_blank">http://www.livestream.com/omfgnetwork/fold...81-5fcd14053896</a>

On the first link, I'm Dan, and on the second two, I'm Leto.

I'm looking forward to working with all of you in the near future!
  • SmaugSmaug Join Date: 2011-05-23 Member: 100283Members
    I would like to cast but not this weekend as it's my birthday.

But deffo put me down for the event after that, Hugh.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks to everyone giving feedback in the polls. Looks like the commentator list is growing, but we need more games!
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    <a href="http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2012&month=4&day=22&hour=1&min=0&sec=0&p1=47&p2=5&p3=22&p4=64&p5=179&p6=224" target="_blank">420 Vs Mr
    </a>

A difficult thing about us co-casters talking too much is that, at least for me, I don't want to speak over you(which I realised happened a few times). Not only is it your lead and Unknown World's official stream, having two people saying anything at any one time just turns into a garbled mess for the listeners, and you're often quite busy covering the action that's constantly going down in these games. Cooperating over VOIP makes it all the more potentially awkward as there are none of the subtle visual queues people are used to in conversation.

But enough excuses from me :P, I still had a lot of fun and I'll be doing my best to improve on my attempt last week. This should all be very interesting in 205!

Edit: Fixed up with correct date and time.
    How bad is the delay for you trying to co-commentate with someone in the US anyways. It feels like it introduces unintended awkwardness.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1926551:date=Apr 18 2012, 08:40 AM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Apr 18 2012, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How bad is the delay for you trying to co-commentate with someone in the US anyways. It feels like it introduces unintended awkwardness.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It didn't notice it at the time, but watching it on NS2HD really brought to light the delay. This may be in part due to Steam's voice chat system however, and I'm not really looking forward to using Skype either.

Would it be possible for us to try Teamspeak 3? The ENSL server for that has a password locked channel in there dedicated for casters.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We may switch to TS3 this week. Arkanti don't worry about awkwardness, we will get better with time. People need to learn about each other, its natural we will occasionally talk over each other. I'm a blabber mouth on the stream anyway!
    that is actully allso one of the reasons I put the point about Skycam, co commentator won't need to watch the stream to talk whats on screen nor does the streamer have to search to see where exactly the other guy is looking at while speaking. but yeah I am no programmer and I don't know how long something like this would take to implement.
    <!--quoteo(post=1926559:date=Apr 18 2012, 09:00 AM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Apr 18 2012, 09:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that is actully allso one of the reasons I put the point about Skycam, co commentator won't need to watch the stream to talk whats on screen nor does the streamer have to search to see where exactly the other guy is looking at while speaking. but yeah I am no programmer and I don't know how long something like this would take to implement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not sure I quite understand what you're asking for Jibrail, sorry can you clarify?
    edited April 2012
    He wants to be able to spectate together in a group where one person can control the viewport and all that. So you're always on the same page.

Just like in SC2 where you can select a player to "follow" by observing his camera position and all that stuff.
    bad english = bad explanation sorry for that.
    put simple enough imagine you as the streamer is able to follow the spectator camera of your co commentator wich is allso spectating.

here is a scenario
    you are talking about something while looking at marine start, your co commentator interrupts you because there is something huge happening where ever he is looking, one push of a button and instantly your looking at what he is looking at so if he turns his camera to the left your's would too becuase ur following him.

there is alot that would be made easier with this spectating system. but as I said in my earlier post some of the stuff where for the future ( hopefully ) as I am no programmer and I dont know if something like this can be implemented with relative ease.
    Ahh yes - InternetsLive and I have been looking into that in depth. Unfortunately the technical challenge is much, much greater than we expected and its not looking possible at the moment. Hopefully one day!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    More casters, intriguing...
  • TheDestroyerTheDestroyer Tooobah Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18123Members, Constellation
    I'd be down for doing some commentating.
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    edited April 2012
    I really appreciate the invitation NS2HD, but I think I have to decline.

I would like to point out though that it would be nice if you could press the tab button and tell the audience whom is doing the commanding in each team. At the moment you start telling the roster before the game has started. Perhaps you could do that when the game commenced? When I watch the stream that is very important to me, since I´m all about analyzing the strategies from the teams. I also have the experience of you and wasabione believing Zeikko is doing the commanding all game, when all you had to do is press the tab button and find out.
  • JoopzorJoopzor Join Date: 2012-04-01 Member: 149805Members
    I think a little display of the commentators names would be really nice, also ts3 or mumble are good voice chat programs!
    I think when your in the ready room you should also display the list of the players roster on each side of the screen.
    This can all be done with overlays in xsplit!
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If you would like a humourous, bearded and slightly mad scotsman to commentate Im all ears :)
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    D|S will be scrimming Exertus at 3pm EST, we're open to having it casted. We also have a match with 420 but I don't believe we want that one casted. Have been speaking with all-in about a match as well however no time has been confirmed but I think we'd be open to having that one casted as well.
    edited April 2012
    I messed up with the scheduling of 420 vs Mr posted on the first page, <a href="http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2012&month=4&day=22&hour=1&min=0&sec=0&p1=47&p2=5&p3=22&p4=64&p5=179&p6=224" target="_blank">here is the actual date and time!</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1926727:date=Apr 18 2012, 11:29 PM:name=Joopzor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Joopzor @ Apr 18 2012, 11:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think when your in the ready room you should also display the list of the players roster on each side of the screen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If we are super organised and I have the rosters a few hours ahead of time, I will absolutely make this happen.

Added D|S v Exertus and Mr v 420 to the front page, would be great to get a game scheduled for Sunday 1600 EST / 1300 PST - That would give us three games in a row
  • LetonatorLetonator Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150632Members, Squad Five Blue
    This should be a lot of fun, I've been brushing up on my nomenclature and watching NS2 commentary nonstop to make sure I'm not a totally braindead commentator this weekend. Hopefully you folks won't mind my specific style of description and analysis, as I've been known to blatantly state the obvious without a second thought.

On the subject of VoIP services, I would also recommend Mumble. It's a solid program that I use on a daily basis.

Separately, can anyone recommend any mods that would help with information for myself during the live commentary? Thanks!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1927033:date=Apr 18 2012, 10:42 PM:name=Letonator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Letonator @ Apr 18 2012, 10:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Separately, can anyone recommend any mods that would help with information for myself during the live commentary? Thanks!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You'll want to have this <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117794" target="_blank">version of the Skycam mod</a> installed, as that's what we'll likely be using when we play (it provides all the fancy spectator info).
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Mr and Archaea will have a match in Saturday 3AM PST :P

Archaea is also looking for opponents to face in Saturday and Sunday. This time we will try to refrain from using mercs from other teams but use our tryouts instead.

If you're interested send me an email to zeikko@teamarchaea.net or contact <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/zeikko" target="_blank">me in steam</a>.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you want more games, there can also be some gather/pug-styled games aswell. This would a viaable solution if some teams that want to play can't assemble a team, but they'd still be able to play.
    Also you or the casters could take part as well, people wanted to see some more first person action and it may give some insight. Not sure whether this generally wanted or desired though.

There are quite a few players that play gathers, but are not part of a team that would also be able to participate I suppose. (I know I would for sure assuming valve fixes the login problems users in germany are having until then).
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1927071:date=Apr 19 2012, 12:45 PM:name=Omega_K2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omega_K2 @ Apr 19 2012, 12:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are quite a few players that play gathers, but are not part of a team that would also be able to participate I suppose. (I know I would for sure assuming valve fixes the login problems users in germany are having until then).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can play NS2 if you start Steam without logging in and then running NS2.exe, since NS2 doesn't really use Steam apart from their master servers. :)

Edit: At least until b205 kicks in. Maybe updating will work by using HLDS Update Tool.