New Gamers After PAX East

2»

Comments

• Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1922954:date=Apr 7 2012, 02:21 PM:name=Ohnojojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ohnojojo @ Apr 7 2012, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know what more UWE could do either, they really do communicate immensely well with its community.
    I'm just a bit tired of hearing things like....

OMG THIS GAME SUX, ITS SO UNBALANCED AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE LIKE IRON SIGHTS OR HATS AND PERFORMANCE SUX AND YOU'RE ###### AND I BONED YOUR MOM.

Like seriously... I don't even touch the xbox360 because of ppl like that, i don't want to deal with it in NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If they appoint me Dictator of NS2 servers, everyone like this will be summarily banned for life.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1922992:date=Apr 7 2012, 05:53 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Apr 7 2012, 05:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOL.
    dude.. i dont know what experience you have with game developers and their communication abilities, but i have had a lot and there are large differences that UWE makes besides the obvious occasional post. (which is still way more than most)

Theres the progress tracker where you can see what they are working on
    Theres high level design documents so you understand the big picture and philosophy
    Theres facebook, livestream, youtube, twitter, wiki, irc, forum and email.
    These guys give us hourly updates on twitter, full weekly changelogs, and they even provide the occasional tech support on top of showing us their working quarters.
    They even livestream the playtests now.
    The best part? they take into account feedback from the community when issues are large enough. there are many occasions a simple post changed the mind of the creative director. <b>this is huge - the ability to help shape your game that you love!</b>

<i><u>Who else does all this?</u></i>
    Not to mention the fact they do it all with only a few people.
    Go email a dev at bioware with questions about their product in a specific manner and see if you get a response, even with their multiple PR reps, execs, managers etc. then do the same to UWE and compare.

its my single most favorite aspect of pre ordering

<b>Edit</b>: dont forget you have direct line of communication with it's playtesters! steam me or PM me, i can help get your bug submitted. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

Bioware are good for a games company. Sometimes you get interesting responses from the writers, but by and large they don't post, and never about anything in development.

CCP are a bit better. Their devs get involved in forum banter sometimes, and sometimes talk about ideas, but generally try to stay non-commital.

UWE on the other hand are saints. Constant communication. If I want to know something, its pretty much always available. Questions and issues get answered. Ideas from the community get taken into serious consideration.

I realise this is just the nature of small studios vs larger ones, but its always nice.
  • Matthew94Matthew94 Join Date: 2011-08-06 Member: 114690Members
    Many people think a beta is just a MP demo these days, I can see why they were pissed.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    Generally betas do not have such severe performance issues, and UWE may refund them if asked.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    IMO this is the same negative reaction most people here would have if they first played the game today. The truth is, most people on the forums have rose tinted glasses and think UWE can do no wrong because they have so much emotional investment in the game. Honestly, the game is in a pretty bad state right now. It will take 1 year + of work to get it to a decent state imo. Perhaps NS2 2.0 will be the game everyone really wants.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1923675:date=Apr 10 2012, 04:25 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Apr 10 2012, 04:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly, the game is in a pretty bad state right now. It will take 1 year + of work to get it to a decent state imo. Perhaps NS2 2.0 will be the game everyone really wants.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Finally, someone hade to say it.

UWE needs to add some serious muscle to the team. I know, they are hiring, but it can't be that hard to find someone for the pay, can it?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    More on topic than the last two posts:

i like what firefall did in it's open letter to the beta testers, asking for them to be welcoming:

<a href="http://www.firefallthegame.com/blog/2012/03/29/an-open-letter-to-our-testers" target="_blank">http://www.firefallthegame.com/blog/2012/0...-to-our-testers</a>
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Superfluous while performance is in the state it is in (eg. not remotely enjoyable for many a newcomer).
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150163Members
    edited April 2012
    Regardless of the current state of the game I think this team and their use of community assisted development is worth supporting. The game itself, if fully realized, looks like it will be well worth the wait. Money well spent.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    edited April 2012
    Messages that TELL YOU HOW TO PLAY THE GAME is not really a problem.

The gameplay is what matters.

As for the new people, just yell NOOBS! like the guy from Revenge of the Nerds yells NERDS! and i'm sure everything will work out just fine.

But yea, having level 3 armor and weapons within 10 minutes, 6 resource towers, and full weapons and STILL losing the game sucks. But eventually people will learn. Until then, I think i will just continue building arcs instead of upgrades.

We will always feel odd because we have known Natural Selection since day 1 about 10 years ago, and when completely new people come in they have no idea what's going on or why we love it so much.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1923682:date=Apr 10 2012, 03:57 AM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Apr 10 2012, 03:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Finally, someone hade to say it.

UWE needs to add some serious muscle to the team. I know, they are hiring, but it can't be that hard to find someone for the pay, can it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Game development is generally a pretty crappy job by most accounts, the hours are awful, the pay is probably not any better, or worse than what you could get in any other job for your skillset, and you have pretty horrible job security.

Most games developers are slightly insane, and a lot of them have pretty awful lives because of the stress of the job.

Basically yeah it's pretty hard to find someone who can do the job. People generally do it because they can't help but do it, because they have a compulsive need to do it, not because it's a good job.