Suggestion for next mini tournament / tie breakers

2»

Comments

• fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921070:date=Apr 2 2012, 11:04 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Apr 2 2012, 11:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921070"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We won because we beat you. Not due to a coin toss.... last time i checked anyways....... The coin toss was just luck.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up. I suggest you make a "please validate our victory" thread if you're so insecure.

<!--quoteo(post=1921071:date=Apr 2 2012, 11:08 PM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ Apr 2 2012, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have another idea to bring to the table. I haven't really thought this through yet, but I know that in some cases in SC2 where the game ends premature, referees can step in and decide who will get the win. Im not a big fan of boxing, but im pretty sure they have some 3 referee system which decide the winner if noone got KOed, decided by some form of point system.

Perhaps these two could be combined in a form where we have 3 referees which in case of ties awards one side the win. I know its not the best, but I feel its just better than any coin flipping in the world.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Kudos for suggesting new ideas, but I don't think this is going to work out. It's far too subjective and will spawn endless controversy over who was the "real" winner after the tournament finished.

<!--quoteo(post=1921076:date=Apr 2 2012, 11:16 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 2 2012, 11:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921076"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like this, but I don't see why you wouldn't choose the ping advantage everytime if you won the coin toss. Now, I could see a trade-off if you did this for each game rather than the match. For example, for game 1, Team USA wins the toss and picks aliens and Team Europe picks a EU server. For game 2, another coin toss occurs, Team USA wins and can choose aliens again, which gives Team Europe the choice to pick a EU server again. If Team Europe had won the coin toss for game 2, they instead could have chosen aliens, and let Team USA pick a US server.

In effect, this makes the options more balanced such that the most likely choices will be
    1. Choose aliens and play at a ping disadvantage
    2. Choose the ping advantage and play as marines

Of course, this requires each team to have a server ready and would be a bit more disruptive due to changing servers between games. However, I think that's no worse than the other options out for promoting fair intercontinental NS2 scrimming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is a great idea for future tournaments when teams are closer in terms of balance, but currently playing alien is a much greater advantage than the ping advantage.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    this game is a big deal.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1921137:date=Apr 2 2012, 07:56 PM:name=hampton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hampton @ Apr 2 2012, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this game is a big deal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It really is.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    The mini tournament was for fun, promoting ns2 and giving ppl a nice show,... maybe also some insight how it plays in the more competitive world so far. (and maybe a needed push for some to start forming their own teams)

Why so much drama? :/
  • PowerfuryOAPowerfuryOA Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921137:date=Apr 2 2012, 07:56 PM:name=hampton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hampton @ Apr 2 2012, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this game is a big deal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Many blood pacts were formed in this tourney. Serious business
  • SmaugSmaug Join Date: 2011-05-23 Member: 100283Members
    In the next tourney, if Cyd aren't playing, I wanna co-cast too :<
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2012
    JuCCi it was very nice of you being organizing this mini tournament and it was great to be part of it. Some of us are hoping to have more of these mini tournaments and set up this thread to talk how to improve the tournaments. All disucssion was done in good and constructive manner until you started to rage in this topic too (just like in the commander guide topic). To me it looks like the only one butthurt is you.

None of us ever denied your victory or said anything to diminish you or your team. You won us. You should be happy and proud of it, but instead you feel some kind of need to bash the opposing team and players.

And how on earth can you interpret Fana's signature like that? That's the most ridiculous claim i have ever heard. Fana merely states his ingame nickname and links to his team's page. That's like saying that everybody with a business card have a big ego because their name and company website are written on it.
    Besides, you have your team tag, ingame nick, server list and steam id in your signature. What kind of ego boosting is that then?

Peace, love and good games JuCCi!
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited April 2012
    I really enjoyed watching the few matches I managed to catch of the mini-tournament, well done everyone and NS2HD for the casting (a little less self-deprecation about knowledge of tactics and you'll be golden: just look at TotalBiscuit ;) ).

Besides the dog-pile on Fana from what I can only assume are All-In players, the ideas he presented make sense and are what I would back in a one day tourny setting.

One thing I would suggest to watch out for when organising international tournaments (and I apologise for the sweeping generalisation because it isn't true for everyone) is the complete lack of self-awareness expressed by many North American teams with regards to asserting their own privilege with servers/etc. You can see it in this very thread. Euro/asian/oceanic teams often seem far more open minded about playing on servers with a range of pings.

I'm not sure why, but there has always been a dominant air of 'you should come to us' and it needs to be combated before it takes off in NS2 by community leaders.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think coin flipping or choice should be brought into it at all.

Have a captain from one of the teams walk into the Random team join, what they land in is what they play as.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1921365:date=Apr 3 2012, 07:05 AM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Apr 3 2012, 07:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing I would suggest to watch out for when organising international tournaments (and I apologise for the sweeping generalisation because it isn't true for everyone) is the complete lack of self-awareness expressed by many North American teams with regards to asserting their own privilege with servers/etc. You can see it in this very thread. Euro/asian/oceanic teams often seem far more open minded about playing on servers with a range of pings.

I'm not sure why, but there has always been a dominant air of 'you should come to us' and it needs to be combated before it takes off in NS2 by community leaders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In fairness, it was a NA tournament that the EU team was subbed into.

Also, I really don't see that. I know many of the NA players (including quite a few All-In guys) play tons of gathers which usually happen on euro servers.

If a tournament is designed to be international, then it should probably be played half US half EU when US/EU teams play. If you're playing 6 halves, then you'd play say 2 marine, 1 alien on US and 1 marine 2 alien on EU. Or you could have the marines play their server. So for US marines, US server. For EU marines, EU server. That way both have good ping with the shooters and higher ping for the aliens.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921506:date=Apr 3 2012, 05:33 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Apr 3 2012, 05:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In fairness, it was a NA tournament that the EU team was subbed into.

Also, I really don't see that. I know many of the NA players (including quite a few All-In guys) play tons of gathers which usually happen on euro servers.

If a tournament is designed to be international, then it should probably be played half US half EU when US/EU teams play. If you're playing 6 halves, then you'd play say 2 marine, 1 alien on US and 1 marine 2 alien on EU. Or you could have the marines play their server. So for US marines, US server. For EU marines, EU server. That way both have good ping with the shooters and higher ping for the aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't implying that was the case for NS2 (there are hardly enough teams around for it to be an issue). Just that you can see the origins of it in some user's posts and it can act to be very divisive for the community as a whole once there are enough players on each continent for self sustaining communities. It's just something to watch out for and actively discourage if it crops up.

I'd also like to add that I wasn't implying it was an NA only problem. It's an issue with teams from every location but in my experience it's an order of magnitude worse with NA based players (possibly because of the largely anglocentric monoculture?). Just my 2 pence.

Also, Scrajm: Yes, NS1 was considered balanced.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just a quick question. NA and EU server choice have always been a factor.

Has anyone ever tried to set up a server on the Azores islands in Portugal?

I happened to be stationed here and we have fiber optic lines. We are located 900 west of mainland Portugal. Not the exact center but i wonder if the US east folks could play the EU folks with less of a ping discrepancy. My home connection is 20mb down and about 15mb up (should be 100mb/20mb, but i have bothered calling to get it improved).

If anyone is interested we could run a test of my home machine.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1922441:date=Apr 6 2012, 11:25 AM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Apr 6 2012, 11:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a quick question. NA and EU server choice have always been a factor.

Has anyone ever tried to set up a server on the Azores islands in Portugal?

I happened to be stationed here and we have fiber optic lines. We are located 900 west of mainland Portugal. Not the exact center but i wonder if the US east folks could play the EU folks with less of a ping discrepancy. My home connection is 20mb down and about 15mb up (should be 100mb/20mb, but i have bothered calling to get it improved).

If anyone is interested we could run a test of my home machine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's certainly something worth to try. Has anyone heard of anyone trying to host a game server in the Azores Islands before? Are there any server hosting services there? If it really is a good idea i'm sure some people would have figured it out already and set up server rental service for gaming.

I could see one problem here that is the fact that most of the sea cables are laid directly from New York to England as seen here: <a href="http://www.qortuba.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Internet-Undersea-Cable.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.qortuba.org/wp-content/uploads/...ersea-Cable.jpg</a>

There's only one cable going from Lisbon to Miami which is probably the one Azores are connected to. This would cause everyone from US to route trough Miami and everyone from Europe to route trough Lisbon which might cause bad experience for everyone.

But if you're up for it let's set up a test!