Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 203 released

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 203 released here

Comments

• KlitchKlitch Join Date: 2010-02-05 Member: 70436Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    I love you guys <3
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great job, can't wait to try it out on my pc and at the pax booth.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Good to see Onos hide being reworked; that and the Gorge changes are going to make him slightly less horrifying.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    There won't be a dev-diary video with this Build - All the camera gear has been packed up for PAX. We will make it up to you with lots of PAX videos!
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    I hope the performance is kind at PAX
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited April 2012
    Nice changelog. It's good to just see a lot of 'fixes' and no new experimentation.
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Y'all are ballers.
  • danadadanada Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69551Members
    Keep it up, you guys are awesome!
  • DrakennzDrakennz Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148620Members
    edited April 2012
    Only 1 change to Spark!@?. This makes sad :-( its been almost unusable since b202 :-(
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cool, can't wait to check this patch out!

If you're doing any presentations at PAX, please stream them! If Hugh is making a recording of the event, please give us lots of the guests' impressions - I love hearing that kind of stuff. :D
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh&#33; Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    sad day, no optimization fixes :(
  • BloopfuryBloopfury Join Date: 2012-04-02 Member: 149867Members
    You bring tears to my eyes! :) Thank you!
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    uwe why u nerf gorge heal
  • sumguy720sumguy720 Join Date: 2011-02-09 Member: 81101Members
    I like the reduced texture stretching on creep. Er-- infestation-- or... corruption... or whatever this game calls it.
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    OMG mini map cracked 4 all lol
    edited April 2012
    I just walked into the vent that goes behind sub access (as a marine) from the 'maintenance access' side and fell through the floor out of the map

Might want to fix that :)

Also the map on tram is MESSED UP.

I don't know how/where to post these so if you could give me pointers...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    please annotate that i.e.
  • Mkk_BitestuffMkk_Bitestuff Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12407Members
    FPS is smoother for me, however hit detection is still iffy. If i had to guess atleast regarding the skulk id say its something with the model rotation, as it seems that even skulks wallhopping at me die easier than skulks that run around the wall all weird. The lerk still seems iffy too however i generally always seem to get bad choke around them, which may also be affecting things (100% choke, whatever that means).

I would still rather see the knockdown removed from gore atleast, and left only on stomp, as its annoying to get chain knockedowned by onos. Atleast let me attempt to fight him.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1921177:date=Apr 2 2012, 09:58 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Apr 2 2012, 09:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921177"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just walked into the vent that goes behind sub access (as a marine) from the 'maintenance access' side and fell through the floor out of the map

Might want to fix that :)

Also the map on tram is MESSED UP.

I don't know how/where to post these so if you could give me pointers...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fixed, thank you. I blame the PTs.
    <!--quoteo(post=1921187:date=Apr 2 2012, 10:36 PM:name=fmpone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fmpone @ Apr 2 2012, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fixed, thank you. I blame the PTs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know I do this a lot, but how can something like that go unnoticed before a release?
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1921190:date=Apr 2 2012, 10:42 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Apr 2 2012, 10:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know I do this a lot, but how can something like that go unnoticed before a release?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This isn't really the PTs fault. It was just a last minute map update, to make the vents more convenient and less snaggy to move in. Only in this new area did the vent construction style differ, so it went unnoticed. Hope this answers your question :)
  • AlterNickAlterNick Join Date: 2012-03-15 Member: 148830Members
    Not sure that nerfing the gorge heal was a very good decision... Nonetheless, you guys are awesome and I am excited to see future updates and your performance at PAX. Good luck!
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Played a couple 203 games.

-Onos feels like it goes down a little easier. Aliens must have thought so, too, since we rarely saw more than one. It looked like he attacked in groups of mixed life forms, so that's a good feel.
    -Performance overall feels a LOT better. It seems to be the worst right as you join - every new texture, animation, and sound slows the computer big time the first time it loads. After about 5 minutes of general play, the game ran the best I've ever seen. FPS was high and didn't drop, hits registered, and gameplay was fun. Later on there was some bad teleporting, but that could have been the server as it filled.

Now that fps is higher, I'm having an unforseen problem. The skulk blood sprays on hit are highly visible. That's good. However, when the lmg is firing at full speed, so much green blood sprays that I find it hard to see the skulk! The bright neon green blood totally takes over your eyes from the dark skulk on a dark background, and makes it hard to track.
    I know in the Half-Life engine, the blood spray sprites would overlap and override each other, so you could always see around and through them clearly. That's not the case with the blood effect in NS2.

Played tram for the first time since summit became popular! Thoughts:
    -WTF is wrong with the server room map? It's HORRIBLE to read! Way too much useless space where things don't really need to access. Some of that should be barred off and just be visual.
    -The marine base is full of those mini catwalks and I hate falling into waist-high trenches right in the middle of base. It's very annoying and should be removed. If skulks need a hideyhole, put grating over it and make it a tunnel.
    I think the onos hide change really does work. Needs more games to really show through but it wasn't so easy for me just now.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1921198:date=Apr 2 2012, 06:57 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Apr 2 2012, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know in the Half-Life engine, the blood spray sprites would overlap and override each other, so you could always see around and through them clearly. That's not the case with the blood effect in NS2.

Played tram for the first time since summit became popular! Thoughts:
    -WTF is wrong with the server room map? It's HORRIBLE to read! Way too much useless space where things don't really need to access. Some of that should be barred off and just be visual.
    -The marine base is full of those mini catwalks and I hate falling into waist-high trenches right in the middle of base. It's very annoying and should be removed. If skulks need a hideyhole, put grating over it and make it a tunnel.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

a) blood effects slow fps too much, as well as fill too much space. This is all in the process of being changed by Sewlek (schimmel), and i am told once fixed, it will improve network traffic.
    b) server room map? you mean the minimap of server room? i'm confused
    c) you are referring to shipping i take it, and yes i was just noticing those today. please annotate. (see below)

@internetexplorer: to annotate just hit the console ~ key and then type: annotate hey look i found a bug here look at this etc etc.
    then try displayannotations in the console to see your comment. keep in mind you will annotate wherever your mouse is looking and in proximity to where you are standing.
    using this, the author of the map can quickly gather feedback and make adjustments.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    -minimaps are messed
    -no server could hold decent tickrate
    -Onos still quite imba :(

Might work better on low pop server.
  • hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
    Hit registration still seems wonky at times for the marines when attacking aliens.

Onos still has too much health / armor with one hive. Marines will be dominating the map, and soon as the alien team gets an onos, they are quickly able to punish the marines, which makes marine victories VERY difficult.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Enjoying the patch, killed many lifeforms this day. And with shotguns you can defend against oni now.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921198:date=Apr 2 2012, 06:57 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Apr 2 2012, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so much green blood sprays that I find it hard to see the skulk!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha I thought this was just me. yes, this is annoying, it makes it hard to see a skulk that is rushing at me when i'm shooting it.