Matchups this weekend [31 Mar / 1 Apr]

2»

Comments

• SmaugSmaug Join Date: 2011-05-23 Member: 100283Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1919143:date=Mar 29 2012, 12:23 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Mar 29 2012, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I live 40 minutes from Aber, I could of given you a 200gb raptor. And 8 hours? That's a bit excessive. Plenty of places about near me that have hard drives.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well if only I had known. Anyway, I don't drive, and there's a direct bus to Bangor, as well as I got to see my friends who live there for the day. Maybe next time!

HD in, downloading NS2, game is a go for Sunday.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1919299:date=Mar 29 2012, 10:33 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Mar 29 2012, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919299"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So All-In , -[420]- and #156 are for sure. Does a NA clan want to get in the mix? Or a euro/aus clan that will play on NA pings so we don't have to bounce around to servers. This is for fun and to get this game some twitch.tv love.

Thanks.

All-In | JuCCi<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think Mr can get together for this, and it's a bit late to organise now methinks.

As I'm no longer taking part in the aforementioned game dev challenge, I'll be watching from the sidelines :)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thankyou everyone who helped make this min-tourney such a fantastic success. We got 50,000 hits on the stream and a peak of 1,000 concurrent viewers over the 3.5 hours of the cast. A huge effort by everyone.

To all the teams - you guys were spectacular. Thankyou for all being so disciplined and fast - we never had to wait in the rr while live, and everyone had the mod installed. Everyone was fantastic during the stream.

A big thankyou to InternetsLive as well - especially for picking up the stream with some pub play at the end of the tournament.

I do apologise to 156 and 420 for not streaming the 3rd place match after the final, after 3.5 hours my voice was utterly destroyed. I will make it up to you guys, and hopefully we can get a faster format going for the next one.

One moment that was particularly phenomenal was when we has the server issue - I'm not sure who organised that switch, but it was brilliantly executed and we didn't even lose many viewers in the time it took to swap over servers.

Cheers all, let's do it again soon.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    I loved watching the matches last night, thanks to everyone who was involved. Some very exciting gameplay!

I am already looking forward to the next one.
    On a side note: Perhaps future tournaments could be held much earlier in the day? It is difficult for Europeans to be involved (or play well) when matches (like last nights) go on until 3-4am. We would be very grateful for a fair chance to be involved too.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I would love to do it before. Just this one was in mind for NA teams as one backed out. So we wanted another NA due to time issues and the time was set up before in the week. So i guess you gotta pay to play. GG's by all tho.
    No problem, I understand its difficult to have it fit both. Even with it only being NA focused, it was an incredibly fun set of games to watch and great for NS2. I hope to see more of these in the future!
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1920462:date=Apr 1 2012, 11:53 AM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Apr 1 2012, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am already looking forward to the next one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, thanks to whoever organized this, and to NS2HD for casting.

While (basically) losing to a coin flip was annoying, it isn't really a problem with the tournament format. It's more of a problem with the current game balance. In tournaments spread over several days you can play tie breaker maps instead, but for one day tournaments there just isn't enough time for that. Coin flip for third round side choice is the least-invasive option to ensure matches don't go on forever, as all the other options, like instituting a "fastest win" rule, come with much worse side-effects.

Echoing what some other people have mentioned; it would be nice if future tournaments catered to the European side as well. The community is so small right now that it doesn't make much sense to organize US or EU only tournaments. Starting it a bit earlier in the evening, as well as including a European server would be much appreciated.

For matches between EU and US teams, I suggest the following: Do the tie breaker coin flip before any rounds have been played. The team who wins the coin flip gets to decide either (a) which side to play first, which will also be their tie breaker side, or (b) which server to play on. The team who loses the coin flip gets to decide on the option that the coin flip winner didn't pick.

For example: Team Europe wins the coin flip. They pick option (a) and elect to play aliens first. Team USA then decides that the match will be played on a server located in the US. If it goes to a tie breaker, Team Europe will play aliens, but the match will still be played on a server located in the US.

What this basically does, is balance the matchup as much as it is possible to balance it, by pitting the ping advantage against the side advantage. As game balance (hopefully) improves, choosing the option to pick server location might even be the "best" choice as it influences the match both in the first two rounds and the tie breaker.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Or just flip 3 coins and sort this ###### out proper.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Or just balance the onos. I mean, really, it's so obviously broken coming in at 1 hive with end game hp/armor. Just fix it. Currently the onos can come out at 7-10 minutes with 400 armor (+150 cara) and 600 hp. That is a 550 armor and 600 hp lifeform with the most anti-building and anti-infantry power coming out in the early game with 0tres investment cost. Totally broken. Here's how to start fixing it:

0 armor @ hive 1 (+150 from carapace), 200 (+150 cara) @ hive2, 400(+150 cara) @ hive 3.

Gore knockdown granted @ hive2

Stomp granted @ hive3

Smash increased to 175 damage (a few different ways would be acceptable to balance this)

This would completely fix those joke 1-hive-onos come-from-behind wins. It would also make a 2 hive onos viable, but would still make a third hive desirable.
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Onos needs to be hive 2, and reverted back to 201 damage. Possibly 3rd hive. Catalyze is very strong though so it would still be hard to balance onos
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1920325:date=Mar 31 2012, 04:30 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Mar 31 2012, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I apologize, I didn't spend much time on the Onos this week. I realize it's quite a problem at the moment.

I don't think there's a simple/quick fix for him right now, but I'll be able to address the balance problems with him again after we're done with PAX East.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lets hope for the best.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1920734:date=Apr 1 2012, 08:11 PM:name=ÒŗăNģё)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ÒŗăNģё @ Apr 1 2012, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos needs to be hive 2, and reverted back to 201 damage. Possibly 3rd hive. Catalyze is very strong though so it would still be hard to balance onos<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think a gentleman's agreement of hive 2 before onos is the only way to get semi-competitive games at the moment. However, onos is still incredibly overpowered even at hive 2. This does give marines who severely out-skill their alien opponents a chance to deny second hive before the end game jesus unit shows up off one hive. It definitely needs a bigger nerf on 1 and 2 hives because I think the dev's intentions was to have it available at all times. It just needs to be severely weaker when built prematurely (like the fade, who loses his greatest ability -- blink. Onos needs to lose his greatest ability -- survivability).

There's some other out of whack things (like umbra), but the onos results in a near perfect win rate for aliens.