Natural Selection 2 News Update - New NS2 store

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - New NS2 store here

Comments

• Bio88Bio88 Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148267Members
    just in time for PAX. Awesome!

Hope to see an influx of new players soon!
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2012
    Is there some sort of site humble is working on for a list of all indie devs who use the humblestore?

Also, does humble get a tip in anyway?
  • Tool8Tool8 Join Date: 2012-01-01 Member: 139405Members
    Awesome. Bought a copy today and it was as convenient as buying one of the humble bundles. :)
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1918178:date=Mar 26 2012, 08:06 PM:name=Tool8)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tool8 @ Mar 26 2012, 08:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome. Bought a copy today and it was as convenient as buying one of the humble bundles. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I love these Hbs, great UWE move on for people who don't own pp.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    So...assume I don't like Paypal, Amazon payments doesn't work here in Germany and I don't want to give Google the remaining bits of my data that they don't have yet ...what possibilities do i have?
    I payed ns2 via credit card but without opening a paypal account. Is it still possible now?

The reason I haven't bought a single bundle from Wolfire yet is their choice of payment methods.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1918184:date=Mar 26 2012, 01:11 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Mar 26 2012, 01:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918184"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I payed ns2 via credit card but without opening a paypal account. Is it still possible now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes you can, when you check out with paypal you can select do not sign in, and do not sign me up just pay with CC now, after you type in your information.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1918184:date=Mar 26 2012, 08:11 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Mar 26 2012, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918184"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So...assume I don't like Paypal, Amazon payments doesn't work here in Germany and I don't want to give Google the remaining bits of my data that they don't have yet ...what possibilities do i have?
    I payed ns2 via credit card but without opening a paypal account. Is it still possible now?

The reason I haven't bought a single bundle from Wolfire yet is their choice of payment methods.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can still pay with CC by using the link to PP and choose the option don't have PP acount and directly pay via CC. It's still on PPs site but you don't need to reg.
  • Tool8Tool8 Join Date: 2012-01-01 Member: 139405Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1918184:date=Mar 26 2012, 08:11 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Mar 26 2012, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918184"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(...) Amazon payments doesn't work here in Germany (...)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Huh? I am from Germany and I use Amazon Payments regularly... It's been a while since I've set it up, though...
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Oh dear, thats not really a good move to be honest... in my opinion.

The server and the ability of the community to host enough server slots to service players that buy into the beta now is so limited that new players will be frustrated by the difficulty in getting a slot on a decent server with a good ping.

The lack of the ability to retry join a server, to auto retry ( or best of all, a queue system ) makes the system very clunky... its click on join , view the brower list , click on play , and if the server is full you get kicked back to the main menu... so you need to click on join , refresh the browser and try again... repeat ad nauseum et infinitum.

I say before you try get the masses in, you add dynamically refreshing server browser with filters to specify max ping times, a join that queries if it can join and then tries to join rather than join and then boot you to the main menu... and get the server specs down to something reasonable... in the EU the number of server that can host a decent sized game can be counted on 1 hand...for the whole of the EU.

I feel at the current state of the server side , at least in the EU , a new player will be frustrated and will tell all they know the game is bad, which will result in bad PR... even if you tell the players it is beta, the EA's and Activision betas have skewed the perception of a beta.

Look at Fat Sharks ( ?!? ) wild west game, forget its name but I bought it and the game was quiet amusing but I simply couldnt get a single online match... not one match, so I havent touched the game since... and I am usually a patiant type.
    I would hate to see NS 2 fall over at the final hurdle because a few 'beta' players thought beta meant early access to the final game and no issues.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1918194:date=Mar 26 2012, 08:23 PM:name=Tool8)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tool8 @ Mar 26 2012, 08:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Huh? I am from Germany and I use Amazon Payments regularly... It's been a while since I've set it up, though...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I tried to buy a humble bundle once..i think it was the very first one.. and it said i couldn't do that. Maybe they improved it in the meantime.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918196:date=Mar 26 2012, 01:26 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Mar 26 2012, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Look at Fat Sharks ( ?!? ) wild west game, forget its name but I bought it and the game was quiet amusing but I simply couldnt get a single online match... not one match, so I havent touched the game since... and I am usually a patiant type.
    I would hate to see NS 2 fall over at the final hurdle because a few 'beta' players thought beta meant early access to the final game and no issues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lead and Gold had promise but they lacked dedicated server support, that is why was a downer for most. I don't think NS2 lacks server, we lack more players (tons of NS2 servers!), and I agree on auto-retry/queue system, dynamic server list
  • TorrasqueTorrasque Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57661Members
    Long live Natural Selection, long live UWE!

That is all. I love you guys.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1918200:date=Mar 26 2012, 07:35 PM:name=Luitjens)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luitjens @ Mar 26 2012, 07:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918200"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lead and Gold had promise but they lacked dedicated server support, that is why was a downer for most. I don't think NS2 lacks server, we lack more players (tons of NS2 servers!)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He said decent servers, which I take to mean servers that can sustain a tick-rate of a full 30 (which is quite low by the by, this should be 60-100 at release).
  • Cyborg16Cyborg16 Join Date: 2006-11-18 Member: 58656Members
    Hmm, Paypal & ebay are extremely useful in my opinion (and there's no requirement to give bank details).

Server browsers: a more reliable server list, favourites (available even if the server list isn't), filters, and quick-refresh are essential! Please, UW!
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918218:date=Mar 26 2012, 01:56 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 26 2012, 01:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He said decent servers, which I take to mean servers that can sustain a tick-rate of a full 30 (which is quite low by the by, this should be 60-100 at release).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ahh! Well as time goes on I hope the server software will improve and it wont be so intense on server loads so we can get those delicious 100 tick servers
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1918196:date=Mar 26 2012, 02:26 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Mar 26 2012, 02:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The lack of the ability to retry join a server, to auto retry<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a rety command that works even if you've closed the game and re-open it. It'll connect you to the last server you played on, even if it was last week!
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1918218:date=Mar 26 2012, 08:56 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 26 2012, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He said decent servers, which I take to mean servers that can sustain a tick-rate of a full 30 (which is quite low by the by, this should be 60-100 at release).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dream on.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Auto retry is available, if you join the server through steam rather than in-game.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1918196:date=Mar 27 2012, 06:26 AM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Mar 27 2012, 06:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The server and the ability of the community to host enough server slots to service players that buy into the beta now is so limited that new players will be frustrated by the difficulty in getting a slot on a decent server with a good ping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is a valid point here. It is in UWE's interests to manage growth to some extent but I don't think this announcement will make sales explode. For example when they announce the release date or when it starts appearing on the steam store will cause a much bigger increase in sales.
    <!--quoteo(post=1918196:date=Mar 27 2012, 06:26 AM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Mar 27 2012, 06:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The lack of the ability to retry join a server, to auto retry ( or best of all, a queue system ) makes the system very clunky... its click on join , view the brower list , click on play , and if the server is full you get kicked back to the main menu... so you need to click on join , refresh the browser and try again... repeat ad nauseum et infinitum.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well actually all of those features are in. You can type 'retry' in the console as others have suggested. You can also join via steam which gives you the oportunity to queue for slots on a sever. As far as I know you have to join via a person, which is a little clunky, but pretty easy if you join a steam group such as "Natural Selection 2 Australia Community" (+1 rep). Just right click someone from the group and select join game. So yes this is a little clunky but perfectly fine for this stage of the beta.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    no more special edition on the page to tease the new guys? bummer.
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    hope it improves the game
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    Looks like you guys are hitting it from all angles and burning the midnight oil, way to go Unknown Worlds :)
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Sounds good!
    Should we still point people to store[at]unknownworlds.com for support?
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Type retry in the console ? Join a steam group to use the steam server browser component ?

Why not use the games built in server browser ? Why can that not have the features ? Will there be a hint when you press that join a game button to type retry in the console ? Will a help pop up inform the new buyers they can exit the game and use the steam server browser to join a match and they were silly to try use the actual in game one.
    I realise that NS2 is a PC game and as such one can expect to do more than press 'Start to Begin' , but when there is a in game server browser one expects to be able to use it... its not like the new player will have to force the browser to be visible, tweak the ini or type in serverbrowserlist in the console.

... by the time you are explaining how to enable console and type retry , the new player will be loading up CoD / BF and telling thier mates that NS2 is a load of rubbish with no online games to be had... patiance is not a modern gamer virtue, they didnt have the 5 min load times of the old tape cassettes or installing a game / program using 20+ floppies.

Its a mistake to try increase the playerbase at this time, the game is a hit and miss... it is infinetly better than the alpha where we were shooting wooden targets, but it still lacks a coherant server component... a new player will initially struggle to get on a match with more than 4 players, and most likely find themselves on a poorly set up server which will lag out and struggle to cope with even 4 players, then that player will report this experience to thier mates.
    It wont be a glowing review of how cool the aliens and marines look, or how the tech look so awesome and the lerk flight is so fun to use, how the fades blink about... it will be laggy servers and crappy browser, indie game.
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This topic looks like UWE is missing their internal deadline and running out of money... surprise, surprise
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    thank you snoops for just what this forum needs, more pessimism
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    this is nothing about pessimism, but if you see it like this, what does it says about your thoughts? Just my opinion, of course i would be happy if im not right.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited March 2012
    I couldn't agree more with ASnogarD. I have played games since the floppy times, so I think I can say that a game that is burdensome and slow to start and actually play is not a game that's going to be played frequently. That's not a big deal if it's a story-driven singleplayer game that you're only going to play once, but if it's a multiplayer-only game (like NS2) it's crucial to be able to go from clicking the shortcut to joining a team as quickly as physically possible. One game that does this very good is StarCraft II.

NS2's server browser should be fast, responsive and accurate at the very least, and it should also have a ton of details. For instance, it would be nice to be able to filter games depending on how long they've been running (so you can join a game that's just started if you want to play from the beginning, or a game that have been running for a few minutes if you instantly want to play with shotguns and jetpacks).
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1918501:date=Mar 27 2012, 11:23 AM:name=snooops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooops @ Mar 27 2012, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this is nothing about pessimism, but if you see it like this, what does it says about your thoughts? Just my opinion, of course i would be happy if im not right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're not right. We just moved to a better payment system that gives players more options in how they can buy the game.
  • slimeslime Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72352Members
    edited March 2012
    I think there is a misconception in this thread about what the Humble Store actually is. Right now, it is simply an easy payment processor similar to <a href="http://www.bmtmicro.com/" target="_blank">BMT Micro</a> and <a href="https://stripe.com/" target="_blank">Stripe</a>, nothing more (yet). Currently it is not a Steam-like distribution service, there is nothing about it now that would suddenly increase the amount of people purchasing the game, besides its ease of use.

EDIT: Some other games which use the Humble Store: <a href="http://thelettervsixtim.es/purchase.html" target="_blank">VVVVVV</a>, <a href="http://braidgame.com/" target="_blank">Braid</a>, <a href="http://trine2.com/site/index.php?page=buy" target="_blank">Trine 2</a>, <a href="http://www.avirusnamedtom.com/" target="_blank">A Virus Named TOM</a>.