Mac OS Port

mmz_trellmmz_trell Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7124Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Can we please get a Mac Port?</div>Is there a Mac OS X port in the pipeline anytime soon?
I'm soo missing playing NS and would love to see a port to the Mac OS X. I know there are others that would love to play on their mac's also.

Comments

• DrakennzDrakennz Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148620Members
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1916532:date=Mar 23 2012, 07:43 AM:name=Drakennz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drakennz @ Mar 23 2012, 07:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Buy a "Real" PC :-p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Technicaly, Macs ARE real PCs and in fact have been at the cutting edge of PC technology for a long time. You can even install Windows on it which makes it no different from any other PC. No more Mac bashing please.

As for the port, most of the Devs have a Mac at home, and they've stated they'd love to do a Mac port and the Spark engine was designed from the ground up for portability. However it would involve a significant amount of time, and it's better to direct their resources to get the game finished first before considering a Mac port after V1.0.
  • mmz_trellmmz_trell Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7124Members, Constellation
    Thank you, yes no mac bashing please and I hate shallow people.

As to the port, that is actually great news that it is at least on the minds of the developers. I love this game and can't wait to be a mac beta tester for you :D keep up the great work guys. Obraxis, as a Unix Admin I understand the time it takes to develop and port something, have been in the industry for 17+ years. I work with and support developers all day long and have great respect for them.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    QUOTE (Drakennz @ Mar 23 2012, 07:43 AM) »
    Technicaly, Macs ARE real PCs and in fact have been at the cutting edge of PC technology for a long time. You can even install Windows on it which makes it no different from any other PC. No more Mac bashing please.
    Apple would sue you by calling a Mac a pc.

Just use Wine, any real pc user would of course know this.

http://www.winehq.org/
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    PC = Personal Computer, sounds like an apt description for most devices these days.

NS1 is very playable in Wine on OS X and Linux. It also won't work with the native ports of GoldSrc that Valve recently released because it was compiled for Win32, and was apparently built to depend on some stuff not available on OS X/*nix.

I tried to get it to run, not gonna happen without some amount of coding/rewriting of NS1 code. Just use Wine.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    mmz_trell wrote: »
    Thank you, yes no mac bashing please and I hate shallow people.

pretty shallow reason to hate somebody! ;p
  • drumstixdrumstix Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75359Members
    yes, please port NS2 for mac osx, and you other people stop being so operating systemist.