The never ending game

RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">game time was nearly 1hr 45min</div>Problem

Way too many turrets and crap in the way

<a href="https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-OgiHoeNJSUVE5GRVFJbThUeGE0ODE0OHdnMld6Zw" target="_blank">A screen shot of this game</a>

Solution: Arc type ability for aliens.

Comments

• RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Onos is supposed to be a structure buster.
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    5 onos couldnt do it. flames sapped energy. We tried everything, secondary attack to disable turrets, umbrea, lerk gas, whip rush bile bomb (a joke trial). Nothing, absolutely nothing worked. eventually server crashed from all the turrets and cysts.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    5 Onos? Stomp the power node. Game over.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    5 Onos could have taken out the command chair in less than a second.
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915350:date=Mar 20 2012, 04:55 AM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Mar 20 2012, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5 Onos could have taken out the command chair in less than a second.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed.
    We had 2 Onos and 2 Gorge and 1 Fade. They took out the Main HQ within seconds against 7 marines. ( endgame almost 50min )
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1915342:date=Mar 20 2012, 12:08 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Mar 20 2012, 12:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915342"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5 Onos? Stomp the power node. Game over.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They had 10+ armories surrounding the power node with 6+ sentries in front and lots of flamethrowers all around.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    In the next patch they're buffing the bile bomb, so hopefully that'll give aliens they're bunker busting abilities back. Rely on the Onos for now I guess, they're usually strong enough to get the job done, although a wall of armories, sentries and flamers does sound very annoying and difficult to deal with.

Makes me wish there was a voting option for starting a new round when one team has clearly won and the game is simply being dragged on.
  • FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
    Aliens used to have arcs. It was gorge bile bomb. Devs removed it for giggles.
    <!--quoteo(post=1915415:date=Mar 20 2012, 09:25 AM:name=Flounder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flounder @ Mar 20 2012, 09:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915415"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens used to have arcs. It was gorge bile bomb. Devs removed it for giggles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bile Bomb is coming back, in dive bomb fashion, with DoT on the Lerk.
    I think it'll be better than it was on the gorge.

Remember people, Bile bomb in NS1 used to be on the Fade, the Lerk and then Gorge.
    Changes are usually for the better.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1915419:date=Mar 20 2012, 03:31 PM:name=Ohnojojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ohnojojo @ Mar 20 2012, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bile Bomb is coming back, in dive bomb fashion, with DoT on the Lerk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but I haven't seen one single lerk flying in a base with > 3 sentries and get out of it alive.
    The gorge could have bombed the sentries out of cover. The lerk have to fly in and get shot by the sentries AND the marines.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1915419:date=Mar 20 2012, 10:31 AM:name=Ohnojojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ohnojojo @ Mar 20 2012, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bile Bomb is coming back, in dive bomb fashion, with DoT on the Lerk.
    I think it'll be better than it was on the gorge.

Remember people, Bile bomb in NS1 used to be on the Fade, the Lerk and then Gorge.
    Changes are usually for the better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There was a good reason why it went from fade-lerk-gorge in ns1. There was allot of trial and error and in the end they found the perfect place for it. that comment makes it sounds that all the work that went into ns1 does not matter and should be ignored.

About the lerk bilebomb, even if the damage is increased it would not have changed anything in the situations above. Lerks can't attack turrets when marines are around, they will simply be picked off. 1 Decent marine can already take a lerk down with reletive ease.
    If lerks are going to keep bilebomb then aliens need a ability to get them close enough to use bilebomb. Also they will need something to survive long enough to use 3-4 biles before running away.
    <!--quoteo(post=1915434:date=Mar 20 2012, 09:48 AM:name=Grissi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grissi @ Mar 20 2012, 09:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There was a good reason why it went from fade-lerk-gorge in ns1. There was allot of trial and error and in the end they found the perfect place for it. that comment makes it sounds that all the work that went into ns1 does not matter and should be ignored.

About the lerk bilebomb, even if the damage is increased it would not have changed anything in the situations above. Lerks can't attack turrets when marines are around, they will simply be picked off. 1 Decent marine can already take a lerk down with reletive ease.
    If lerks are going to keep bilebomb then aliens need a ability to get them close enough to use bilebomb. Also they will need something to survive long enough to use 3-4 biles before running away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not saying it'll be perfect or even good at first. But this is a new game, things will change, for better or for worse but I have confidence that UWE will make a great game in the end and I'm sure they'll update it with balance changes and etc. long after release.

I do agree that for 30 res the Lerk is way too fragile. I hope that bile bomb makes the Lerk more worthwhile but its a beta.
    I do prefer the bile bomb stays with the gorge but I think the bilebomb going to lerk is neat and something worth exploring.
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    This is why gorges need bile bomb back.

Also the game only ended because everyone crashed, we held out for 30+ minuets with onos coming in.

I would have put up more armory walls but I couldn't actually build any more buildings.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1915460:date=Mar 20 2012, 05:06 PM:name=Gadx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gadx @ Mar 20 2012, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is why gorges need bile bomb back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QFT.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
    lolled @ "rediculous.png"
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I asked myself why they won't give onos the bilebomb attack. It would make sense as it is indicated as base buster and it could have a decent size if belched around by the unholy son of a gorilla and an abrams M1 grizzly fueled by a barrel of hot uranium.

Well, I concluded it's too risky as onos would have to be easily obtainable this way, so far it's locked to techlevel 3 (= 3 hives) and costs too much res.
    If they releasy the lock, uwe has to make it weaker again. It's not like it's strong right now to begin with, but NSo's last onos was a paper tiger, afraid off water pistols.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I mean granted the marines have flamers... but surely 5 onos can kill a chair, even if only 2 stomps each?
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Lmao what a game that was, flamers destroyed the onos' energy regen while everything in the room killed them in like 10seconds, They did manage to get the chair to maybe 20%~ but it was nano'd and had some of us welding.

Turret > all alien lifeforms/structures
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Introducing max turrets per room = 4
    and max turrets per robotfactory = 10

This will address the server tick rate going down with turret spam too.
  • AemrodAemrod Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146665Members
    edited March 2012
    Introducing max hydras per room = 4
    Introducing max hydras per hive = 20

<a href="http://www.google.com.tr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://informaticasimples.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/9gag-face-9.png&sa=X&ei=ANBpT8mYOoTntQbRhNHiBw&ved=0CAkQ8wc4qwE&usg=AFQjCNETNrjHr05x6OdCLAw7vKCOlCgQgA" target="_blank">Get Real</a>
    If you let marines to gather enough resource to build 10 turrets(plus weapons and upgrades), well thats alien teams problem.
    <!--quoteo(post=1915879:date=Mar 21 2012, 02:41 PM:name=Aemrod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aemrod @ Mar 21 2012, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915879"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Introducing max hydras per room = 4
    Introducing max hydras per hive = 20

<a href="http://www.google.com.tr/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://informaticasimples.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/9gag-face-9.png&sa=X&ei=ANBpT8mYOoTntQbRhNHiBw&ved=0CAkQ8wc4qwE&usg=AFQjCNETNrjHr05x6OdCLAw7vKCOlCgQgA" target="_blank">Get Real</a>
    If you let marines to gather enough resource to build 10 turrets(plus weapons and upgrades), well thats alien teams problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, its my problem. Because I can't play on a server with a tick rate < 10 only because of turret spam.
    Plus, you forgot noob commanders, who spam turrets because its cool. Not because they have enough res to do so.
    And the hydra cap should be in too, yes.
  • AemrodAemrod Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146665Members
    Well noob comms can put some turrets yes but its not likely more than 4-5 in main base. While they turtle they also loose their extractors too its not about only turret or hydra, armorys, crags, whips, phasegates there are a lot of buildings dont blame turrets and hydras for the lag and fps problems. This is a beta build, beta play ofcourse there will be several problems. One of the interesting part of this game is also buildings.

Lets limit onos, 1 or 2 for alien team and 2 fades 1 gorge, then lets limit turrets and hydras maybe. Of course for a limited time, till ns2 runs perfectly stable(from a server viewpoint).
    <!--quoteo(post=1915903:date=Mar 21 2012, 03:43 PM:name=Aemrod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aemrod @ Mar 21 2012, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... there are a lot of buildings dont blame turrets and hydras for the lag and fps problems. This is a beta build, beta play ofcourse there will be several problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't think you are the only one who play this game for more than 2 hours. I sure can distinguish my normal lag because of missing optimization and an increased lag because of turret spam.

And it's not a solution for a obvious broken game mechanic (= endless game because of turret spam) to simply say: "You have to play better, so that can't happen." This is a beta for a reason. Such problems have to be addressed and need ideas for solutions. Not pointless statements of how much res you can grant the marines as aliens, so this can't happen.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If the defending marine team gathers more and more resources for more turrets, you've been doing something wrong as alien. All I know is that it is not possible that it has been like 20 turrets all over that place forever.
    I can agree that aliens need again a proper way to dispose of turrets now that we have a ###### lerk bile bomb (gorge bille bomb was perfect for that purpose!), but still I think it should have been possible to win that game somehow. Eg, taking down the turrets as onos? 3 Hits, with 3 onos that's instant, then retreat, heal up, kill the next turrets repeat until it's semi-safe to go there.

I don't think imposing a limit per room is a good idea. Also how would it work? There are small and large rooms, there are rooms that are easy to cover with a turret and others are hard to due to lots of obstatcles.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you seriously couldn't break through that with 5 onos the problem was in your team, not anywhere else. If you all just ran in and ignored all the marines and turrets and just attacked the CC it would have been dead in about what, 2-3 seconds?
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1916511:date=Mar 23 2012, 02:04 PM:name=Rautapalli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rautapalli @ Mar 23 2012, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you seriously couldn't break through that with 5 onos the problem was in your team, not anywhere else. If you all just ran in and ignored all the marines and turrets and just attacked the CC it would have been dead in about what, 2-3 seconds?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Should be able to do it with 3 onos, or 2 onos with the rest of the team supporting.
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    That base held off 6 onos. I could have moved some armories around to hold off even more.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nexttime 1 onos Stomps the powernod (passes all armories covering it, sentrys stop shooting.

Also losing a onos to f.e. kill the AA/Armslab if marine turtle is also a good tradeoff. Drifters with flare can blind a whole rineteam and theyr com for several secs.

I know it sounds silly but drifters with flar can do a great job, get 5 or so in flare, and all aliens go for CC, while the marines, commander included if you have luck, have to stare at a white screen.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To the people saying onos should have just rushed in and stomped CC, you should really look at the screenshot before posting lol. The marines were simcitied very very well.

The worst part about this is that marines can do this in a 2 hive vs 2 marine techpoint situation and totally lock aliens off from winning with sentry spam due to no midgame counter.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1916574:date=Mar 23 2012, 02:04 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Mar 23 2012, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To the people saying onos should have just rushed in and stomped CC, you should really look at the screenshot before posting lol. The marines were simcitied very very well.

The worst part about this is that marines can do this in a 2 hive vs 2 marine techpoint situation and totally lock aliens off from winning with sentry spam due to no midgame counter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did look, they have a passage from both sides. The west one might be a bit harder to get through since the onos would have to run in a line, but the marines still couldn't deal nearly enough damage before the CC would be dead. From the east side they could just run in without any problems, there's this thing called the jump key that would clear all those turrets easily :). There is absolutely nothing blocking the CC, only the power node is blocked off.