Armor-ups

measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Because welders will increase in price</div>

I think that upgrading armor should have the same effect that it did in NS1 (2.0?). When the upgrade is complete, all soldiers on the field receive it's full benefit, instantly.
It would make for some interesting rushes, as marines would want/need to be in the think of it just as the Armor-Ups sweeps through (the nano-grid).

Comments

• Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    afaik you get that benefit as long as you are at full armor percentage. when it is upgraded, you keep your percentage, not the maximum value (i'm not 100% certain about this though).

are you suggesting that the armor should be restored to its maximum whenever it is upgrades? i'd be against that as it adds an advantage at rather arbitrary times which is not related to strategy that much.
    skulk chews away your armor, then in the middle of the combat it is fully restored: lucky.
    if it upgrades right after the skulk has killed you: unlucky.
    attacking right before an upgrade finishes seems rather counter-intuitive too.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    Yes, that is what I'm suggesting.
    Rarely does a frontiersman purchase the welder, or commanders upgrade it at armory. MACs can't repair armors (although it would be cool if they would repair frontiersmen within their vacinity). Aliens get armor healed any place that they can get any sort of healing.

You say luck, I say timing..
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915004:date=Mar 19 2012, 08:54 AM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Mar 19 2012, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, that is what I'm suggesting.
    Rarely does a frontiersman purchase the welder, or commanders upgrade it at armory. MACs can't repair armors (although it would be cool if they would repair frontiersmen within their vacinity). Aliens get armor healed any place that they can get any sort of healing.

You say luck, I say timing..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like ur thinking!
    Cuz u get instantly weapon upgrades as the marine and u dont have to "die" or reBuy a weapon from the armory.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like ur thinking!
    Cuz u get instantly weapon upgrades as the marine and u dont have to "die" or reBuy a weapon from the armory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    but you don't get full ammo, do you? that would be the logic step if you applied this suggestion to weapon upgrades too.

as for luck, i am refering to in-combat-situations, not for preparing an assault.
    for preparaing an assault, thats what welders are for imo. if this suggestion is implemented, they will be even less used on the front lines.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    This seems like an incredibly exploity thing to tout as a feature. Seriously this is the kind of thing I would expect from sloppy programming, you should not have an obscure mechanic where you use an irrational side effect of a feature which can only occur three times per game as the lynchpin of your strategy.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1915226:date=Mar 19 2012, 11:44 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Mar 19 2012, 11:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This seems like an incredibly exploity thing to tout as a feature. Seriously this is the kind of thing I would expect from sloppy programming, you should not have an obscure mechanic where you use an irrational side effect of a feature which can only occur three times per game as the lynchpin of your strategy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm thinking the same. If at all, you could increase the max-armor, right after the upgrade comes in. But you have to go to an armory or get welded to really get the benefit.