Performance Issues

lancegaydonlancegaydon Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148623Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Performance Issues</div>Hello all, just looking for any pointers to improve the overall performance of the game. Any ini stuff I can change or whatever. My computer can run other games (TF2, SC2 etc) very smooth but this game is just unplayably choppy. I try running it on the lowest video settings and it still doesnt help.

HP Elitebook
i7 M620
8GB RAM
NVIDIA FX Quadro FX 880m

I know this isnt a beastly gaming machine but I have yet to run a game yet that I couldnt at least make playable on it so I wouldnt think this one would max it out. CPU doesnt really get over 40% and RAM stays below 50%.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    My OC-ed C2D E6420 @ 3.2Ghz in terms of pure performance would be faster then your laptop. I get 20-30FPS in combat, 25*40FPS in light combat and 40-50FPS walking around the map with some random teamates.

If this is what you're getting or lower, it is currently the best you can get... I'm guessing it would be lower due to lower speeds and being mobile edition hardware.

Performance is going to be worked on significantly up to v1.0 in summer. So you're bound to see improvements, but currently NS2 is not comparable to other games as it is still lacking the final beta/final version lua powered by Max (main engine dev :P)
  • lancegaydonlancegaydon Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148623Members
    edited March 2012
    Not really the response I was hoping for but thanks for the honesty!

I really hope they work on making this game at least playable on some lesser systems. If I can play BF3 on this laptop at medium settings and have it run smoothly I think this game should at least run on low settings.

I really enjoy this game so far so I just want to play!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You might want to try to use fsfod's menu mod like how I've specified <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116925" target="_blank">here</a>.

The relevant <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Console_Commands" target="_blank">console commands</a> that can help increase performance are

r_atmospherics false
    r_bloom false
    r_shadows false
    r_instancing flase
    r_fog false
  • sebusebu Join Date: 2011-09-21 Member: 122375Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1912390:date=Mar 12 2012, 02:36 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 12 2012, 02:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You might want to try to use fsfod's menu mod like how I've specified <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116925" target="_blank">here</a>.

The relevant <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Console_Commands" target="_blank">console commands</a> that can help increase performance are

r_atmospherics false
    r_bloom false
    r_shadows false
    r_instancing flase
    r_fog false<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Those won't affect your framerate at all, if you do not have completely ###### GPU. Turn graprichs to lowest it can raise frame or two, and turn resolution down.
  • fasterofastero Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 149004Members
    edited March 2012
    I think Devs should focus on optimizing this game at the first place before everything other..I have a decent PC :
    i5 750 @ stock
    ATI 6850 @ stock
    4gigs of RAM
    MB : P7p55D

And still play on lowest setting on 800-600 with just 40fps .Game Looks horrible and lags and stuttering all over the place.I don't know if i did something wrong i checked and rechecked that all quality setting are turned off(AA,bloom,Vsyinc ) but the same problem...I know it is a beta but still dont understand why the performances are so poor with such low settings...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1915199:date=Mar 19 2012, 09:30 PM:name=fastero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fastero @ Mar 19 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915199"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Devs should focus on optimizing this game at the first place before everything other..I have a decent PC :
    i5 750 @ stock
    ATI 6850 @ stock
    4gigs of RAM
    MB : P7p55D

And still play on lowest setting on 800-600 with just 40fps .Game Looks horrible and lags and stuttering all over the place.I don't know if i did something wrong i checked and rechecked that all quality setting are turned off(AA,bloom,Vsyinc ) but the same problem...I know it is a beta but still dont understand why the performances are so poor with such low settings...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is because the game code is in lua, which is currently sucking the life out of your CPU. They are working on a new VM for it, which should help.