Too sad everyone complaining about new patch

Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
<div class="IPBDescription">lol sad</div>
I haven't tried it yet, but it seems most of players are disliking most of new stuffs and changes.

And most importantly, that's catastrophy to hear the frame drop! Again! Oh My God!

I watch as a live at livecast of InternetsLIVE, and the new build seems even to me really bad, so worst than last builds.

I could easily find out framedrop, some bugs, imbalance... too bad

But this is why it's on BETA, hope devs take care of all these messes very soon. You have had recently wealthy amount of players, you should not lose any of them because of just one false patch.

p.s. I really hope to see Gorge bilebome back, and not see shadow-step, catalyze, silly new movements anymore.

Comments

• GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1913511:date=Mar 15 2012, 08:29 PM:name=Classic319)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Classic319 @ Mar 15 2012, 08:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->p.s. I really hope to see Gorge bilebome back, and not see shadow-step, catalyze, silly new movements anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is big part of why people don't like the current build.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    It doesn't make sense to change a game that worked (NS1).
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1913511:date=Mar 15 2012, 04:29 PM:name=Classic319)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Classic319 @ Mar 15 2012, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->p.s. I really hope to see Gorge bilebome back, and not see shadow-step, catalyze, silly new movements anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i agree with you they need to give the gorge bile bomb back it gave the gorge <u>SOME</u> usefulness, it being as useless as it is now.

<!--quoteo(post=1913548:date=Mar 15 2012, 04:53 PM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 15 2012, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesn't make sense to change a game that worked.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i agree i don't know where they are going with this...
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I felt the Gorge had too many roles before: engineer, healer, and siege. And Lerk didn't have enough abilities.

So now the Gorge will be just the "combat engineer", with a couple more structures he can build (in a future patch) and the Lerk will be further reinforced as the "damage over time" role.
  • SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1913568:date=Mar 15 2012, 08:09 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Mar 15 2012, 08:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I felt the Gorge had too many roles before: engineer, healer, and siege. And Lerk didn't have enough abilities.

So now the Gorge will be just the "combat engineer", with a couple more structures he can build (in a future patch) and the Lerk will be further reinforced as the "damage over time" role.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Gorge was perfect, look at it this way, it's not that he had too many roles, he had the roles he needed to be played, it was a very enjoyable class. I mean I actually enjoyed the gorge as a class and was pumped for goo wall as his final ability. People enjoy multi-tasking, making choices using each ability for different situations is what makes it so great.

The Lerk didn't need bile bomb, it just needed "something else". What that may be? I am not sure, but if you guys made a post on it on the forums for suggestions, I am sure you would get 100 ideas from people that would work.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited March 2012
    I have to agree, too. The anti-building attack fits the gorge because his anti-player attacks are by design the worst of any lifeform (while the lerk is all anti-player attacks with a large potential).

As a gorge, you fire bile bombs from the same places that you would use to heal teammates who are fighting marines. The lerk does not have a way to survive using bile bomb from close range, and using it robs you of energy that could be put toward spores (to give you a chance of not getting shot). All the lerk's abilities right now work from long range, except its spores. What use is it to have the best mobility of the lifeforms, and no reliably close range abilities? The removal of the shotgun attack makes this even worse..

I don't want every lifeform to be a jack of all trades, but the lerk's role in the game is even more hazy than it used to be. Is it ever supposed to <i>kill</i> anything itself?

I don't want to completely tear down every new idea, but it would be nice to hear more about the lifeforms' role designs as they change. Otherwise people like me who don't make video games for a living can only speculate..
  • Ns1godNs1god Join Date: 2012-03-15 Member: 148825Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1913568:date=Mar 15 2012, 02:09 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Mar 15 2012, 02:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I felt the Gorge had too many roles before: engineer, healer, and siege. And Lerk didn't have enough abilities.

So now the Gorge will be just the "combat engineer", with a couple more structures he can build (in a future patch) and the Lerk will be further reinforced as the "damage over time" role.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would keep what you had going for you, not water it down making everything slower. Should make the lerk be able to bite people again imo and give back bile bomb to gorge.
  • WackOhWackOh Join Date: 2004-07-25 Member: 30100Members
    i think we should give this patch more of a play before jumping the gun on the whole 'disaster patch' business

games over time adapt to the new changes made (or not made for that matter!)
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well, depending on how you look at it, one could argue that ''sieging buildings'' fits into a combat engineers role pretty well. The lerk definitely needed something extra, just not sure if bilebomb was it. For now though, it just needs to be tested on a larger scale, a lot of people may end up liking it in the longer run.
  • SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1913580:date=Mar 15 2012, 08:26 PM:name=Ns1god)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ns1god @ Mar 15 2012, 08:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would keep what you had going for you, not water it down making everything slower. Should make the lerk be able to bite people again imo and give back bile bomb to gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, the skulk now is not very enticing to play. When we got second hive in b199, leap plus the fast paced movement and air accel made me think of the olden days of gaming. Now when I play it, I feel like I am a sitting duck. Less movement control and a sitting duck when I move in to attack.
    <!--quoteo(post=1913583:date=Mar 15 2012, 02:29 PM:name=WackOh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WackOh @ Mar 15 2012, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913583"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think we should give this patch more of a play before jumping the gun on the whole 'disaster patch' business

games over time adapt to the new changes made (or not made for that matter!)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can tell you haven't played it yet and tried the new changes like most of the people who didn't like the water down changes.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lerk could have different skills, like umbra or carry gorge?
    <!--quoteo(post=1913590:date=Mar 15 2012, 02:36 PM:name=RockyMarc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RockyMarc @ Mar 15 2012, 02:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk could have different skills, like umbra or carry gorge?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If gorge had bile bomb that be pretty cool to be honest, but the way this game is heading idk man.
  • KossKoss Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146272Members
    Game crashes within 5 minutes every time now.

I wish I could say that I have given a chance to test out the new beta build. I've been participating in beta's for nearly a decade now in various games, not to mention finding bug fixes with the open source linux community. I understand what beta's entail...

That being said, from the info I have been reading about the changes, I can see exactly why people dislike the new build.

I don't exactly know what is going on with my crashes, but I did send in my logs.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited March 2012
    I think no matter how you look at it, this new release is a major step backwards. The frame rate has clearly dropped, which is a feat within itself considering I was getting less than 15 FPS in the previous version. The lerk bile bomb is... different, ok we'll see how it goes, but the lerk has lost an important ability, the shotgun spike. Furthermore, secondary fire was changed to spores, but the icon hasn't even been changed, making it very misleading. It seems pretty unanimous that the skulk movement is worse now as well.

All of this is very subjective, and can depend on the player, but the thing that worries me is how this "beta" is progressing. With each new version it is becoming more apparent that things are being "changed" and tested. New cyst system, gorge loses abilities, lerk gains abilities, models get changed, speeds get adjusted. Now I have essentially no experience managing an open beta, but I certainly have experience playing open betas, and the common factor between all the other open betas I have played is that things are not <b>changed</b> they are <b>fixed</b>. A beta<b> always </b>moves forward, never backward, never changes things and stays in the same place, it moves <b>forward</b>. When things don't work as<b> intended</b> (an important word, because there needs to be some intention in order to identify this), they are fixed. When you don't yet know what the intended function is, that is called an <b>alpha</b>.

This latest version hasn't moved anything forward, it just changed things.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    Change is good, stop jumping on the bandwagon of "OMG BAD" and at least try it a bit longer before drawing conclusions on one or two rounds...
    <!--quoteo(post=1913598:date=Mar 15 2012, 09:46 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Mar 15 2012, 09:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Change is good, stop jumping on the bandwagon of "OMG BAD" and at least try it a bit longer before drawing conclusions on one or two rounds...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When is it okay to voice our concerns? I don't want to post too soon and upset your dainty ears.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1913598:date=Mar 15 2012, 02:46 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Mar 15 2012, 02:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Change is good, stop jumping on the bandwagon of "OMG BAD" and at least try it a bit longer before drawing conclusions on one or two rounds...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Everyone I talk too did or is still playing, testing stuff out. but still have same opinion as mine is. Laughing at OMG BAD band wagon...you sound like a carebear
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1913598:date=Mar 16 2012, 03:46 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Mar 16 2012, 03:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Change is good, stop jumping on the bandwagon of "OMG BAD" and at least try it a bit longer before drawing conclusions on one or two rounds...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I loved NS1, and I hope that NS2 brings me just as much enjoyment, even if not in the same packaging, but it is important to never become a fan boy. Fan boys get nothing done, they accept everything they get, even when it is awful, and then they play the game alone.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1913598:date=Mar 15 2012, 09:46 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Mar 15 2012, 09:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Change is good, stop jumping on the bandwagon of "OMG BAD" and at least try it a bit longer before drawing conclusions on one or two rounds...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Stop tryn to brown nose the dev's. And really play the game and see whats wrong with it.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Okay going off topic here a bit :( All friends here! :D
    Devs are reading about our concerns, I'm sure they will look into it and have a chat amung themselves.
    <!--quoteo(post=1913610:date=Mar 15 2012, 10:03 PM:name=RockyMarc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RockyMarc @ Mar 15 2012, 10:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay going off topic here a bit :( All friends here! :D
    Devs are reading about our concerns, I'm sure they will look into it and have a chat amung themselves.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have no friends get@me
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hmm, I'm not too sure about the idea of Gorges being refocused more heavily on building stuff. The role of the Gorge vs the alien commander has always been a very grey area in this game. Adding more structures to the Gorge moves him even closer to being just a mini-commander than he was before. What logic dictates which structures go to the Gorge and which one goes to the comm? Is it desirable for the alien team to become much more structure-oriented than the marine team?
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1913609:date=Mar 15 2012, 09:59 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Mar 15 2012, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913609"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stop tryn to brown nose the dev's. And really play the game and see whats wrong with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kouji is a playtester. Our job is to play the game and you know.. test it. We pretty much dissect everything that they throw at us including the Bile Bomb on Lerk. I've personally spent more hours testing Lerk dynamics and looking at how it works, the damage, the movement and even the spikes to try and make the Lerk a more viable lifeform both in the beginning of the round and towards the end of the game. A couple other playtesters and myself are still giving feedback on the numbers and other things that have to do with the Lerk.

As far as the Gorge: There are a ton more abilities that still need to be added.. that's why the Gorge feels a bit unloved at the moment. There's still a ton of content/balancing to be put into the game so patience is the key.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1913647:date=Mar 15 2012, 07:56 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Mar 15 2012, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kouji is a playtester. Our job is to play the game and you know.. test it. We pretty much dissect everything that they throw at us including the Bile Bomb on Lerk. I've personally spent more hours testing Lerk dynamics and looking at how it works, the damage, the movement and even the spikes to try and make the Lerk a more viable lifeform both in the beginning of the round and towards the end of the game. A couple other playtesters and myself are still giving feedback on the numbers and other things that have to do with the Lerk.

As far as the Gorge: There are a ton more abilities that still need to be added.. that's why the Gorge feels a bit unloved at the moment. There's still a ton of content/balancing to be put into the game so patience is the key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have no idea if its true, but a lot of people are claiming the spikes do more DPS than bile bomb. Is this for sure not true?
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    But why do the dev/testers feel the gorge was broken? Why change stuff that works? And you may test damage and stuff. But how often do you test it in a full game.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    Kharaa, even with multiple building options for the gorge, are nowhere near as building oriented as the marines. A marine commander is constantly cycling through buildings, activating upgrades, creating forward bases involving phase gates/armories/observatories/sentries, running MACs around to fix buildings or snag behind-the-lines res nodes that got chewed, and they're all dependent upon a given area having power. Every other marine is a potential builder, having to choose (admittedly fairly seamlessly) between shooting at stuff and doing building maintenance. Oh, and mines sort of qualify as a building (static defense). Plus, they're required to interact with the armory on a pretty regular basis, whereas the Kharaa don't run out of ammo and can regen in the field.

Khomms on the other hand maintain cyst chains and the corresponding Croach, place and upgrade tech buildings, keep res harvesters online, and create the occasional crag or whip farm. Gorges also work with cysts/Croach, put down hydras, and have goo wall/something else interesting coming. A little more decision making than your average marine, but at the same time many of us grunts will get on the horn to the commander and say "hey, we need an armory and an obs up here, just to hold this hallway." Not too horribly different from a gorge doing his thing.
    <!--quoteo(post=1913647:date=Mar 15 2012, 10:56 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Mar 15 2012, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kouji is a playtester. Our job is to play the game and you know.. test it. We pretty much dissect everything that they throw at us including the Bile Bomb on Lerk. I've personally spent more hours testing Lerk dynamics and looking at how it works, the damage, the movement and even the spikes to try and make the Lerk a more viable lifeform both in the beginning of the round and towards the end of the game. A couple other playtesters and myself are still giving feedback on the numbers and other things that have to do with the Lerk.

As far as the Gorge: There are a ton more abilities that still need to be added.. that's why the Gorge feels a bit unloved at the moment. There's still a ton of content/balancing to be put into the game so patience is the key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Care to elaborate on the lerk stuff?
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1913654:date=Mar 15 2012, 11:01 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Mar 15 2012, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But why do the dev/testers feel the gorge was broken? Why change stuff that works? And you may test damage and stuff. But how often do you test it in a full game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gorge isn't broken. It was having class confusion. It's a purely support class and bile bomb is an offensive attack. It fits better with the Lerk because of the type of class it is: Harasser. You run in and bile (which is corrosive damage) and you run out - like a bombing run. If you say that the Spit on Gorge is also an offensive weapon.. it really isn't.

Summary: Gorge is purely defensive. Bile Bomb is not.

IE: What would you like me to elaborate on? I did mention different parts of the Lerk. If there is a specific question you have I'll be happy to answer it.
    Hmm but then again you could see the bile bomb as a `defensive` weapon too if you look at the spit like that.
    Gorge setting up defences in the hive, rambo marine comes along, starts building phase gate, no skulks around to help, bile!