Combat mode for low player counts

AnticeptAnticept Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58875Members, Constellation
edited March 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Less than 6 players?</div>NOTE: I meant combat, not classic. Mod will need to fix title. <i><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->fixed --Zaggy<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></i>

I loved combat, was a great way to kick back and unwind from strategy. I'd like to see it return, especially for low player counts.

I'd really like to see this soon, but I would be happy with a simple dueling system until the count raises above 6 players. Melee each other in RR, spawn in a random room, draw blood.

Comments

• zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • AnticeptAnticept Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58875Members, Constellation
    Fix'd. Need a moderator to fix title.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The devs said they are not going to add combat, the community could take up this task though once the game has gone gold (v1.0)
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    Combat was okay; but classic is where it's at.

Not to say I wouldn't mind seeing a CO community mod.
  • Raven_XIRaven_XI Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12032Members, Constellation
    Brining up combat? You should hide... ther will be a lot of hate aimed toward this thread very soon.
  • AnticeptAnticept Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58875Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    For low player counts. That's the key, gives them something to do for a bit.

Pain in the ass to be a marine comm running back and forth, whereas the alien comm can sit quite happily in a hive.

I don't care if it's combat or not, just something other than building a base by your lonesome slow ass self.
  • Kama_BlueKama_Blue Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148710Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1912807:date=Mar 13 2012, 10:25 PM:name=Anticept)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anticept @ Mar 13 2012, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For low player counts. That's the key, gives them something to do for a bit.

Pain in the ass to be a marine comm running back and forth, whereas the alien comm can sit quite happily in a hive.

I don't care if it's combat or not, just something other than building a base by your lonesome slow ass self.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Combat was (IMO) only really great with tons of players though, the nature of the upgrades quickly one-sided the teams.

Natural selection was never a 2-6 player game.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1912746:date=Mar 14 2012, 03:34 AM:name=Anticept)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anticept @ Mar 14 2012, 03:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NOTE: I meant combat, not classic. Mod will need to fix title.

I loved combat, was a great way to kick back and unwind from strategy. I'd like to see it return, especially for low player counts.

I'd really like to see this soon, but I would be happy with a simple dueling system until the count raises above 6 players. Melee each other in RR, spawn in a random room, draw blood.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I guess its not good, because combat was never a less player gamemode, it was just fun with more then 5vs5.
    And second, i think that my idea about "arcade cabinets" <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114969" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=114969</a>
    why not?
    So people could join a server and play minigames until the server is full.

Edit:
    The game uses flash, maybe there is a way to create a structure which displays a flash (there tons of flashgames outside) and activate your mouse if you press use on it?
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1912769:date=Mar 13 2012, 10:11 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Mar 13 2012, 10:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912769"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The devs said they are not going to add combat, the community could take up this task though once the game has gone gold (v1.0)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wat.

If NS2 is going to be a triple A title, it needs entry level modes like combat even more than ever.
  • FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
    I think the plan is to use bots to fill empty player slots. I'm dubious about whether you can ever make bots for a game this complex.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1912849:date=Mar 14 2012, 12:27 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Mar 14 2012, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wat.

If NS2 is going to be a triple A title, it needs entry level modes like combat even more than ever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm all for tutorial levels, something like the HL hazard course. But actually stating that Combat is entry level/tutorial material, is simply not true. Combat teaches you to go out on your own and farm for weapons and experience, which turns you into a one man army. It is a completely different game compared to "classic". Combat players, who've never played "classic", are simply left wondering why they can't do the same in "classic" and tend to die a lot because of his. They usually leave and go back to Combat -> Splitting the community.

Ramboing works in Combat, but it generally fails in "classic"... For example, Combat teaches you nothing about:
    - Classic mode techtrees
    - The commander/player interaction
    - Teamplay where you can't go out and take on multiple aliens, which is quite possible in combat.
    - Constructing buildings and the reason why this is important.

All of this is best left to real tutorial levels, By implementing some things from Combat into "classic" it also negates the need for combat to some extent, NS2 has us buying our own weapons/equipment for example.
    <!--quoteo(post=1912829:date=Mar 14 2012, 10:05 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Mar 14 2012, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Edit:
    The game uses flash, maybe there is a way to create a structure which displays a flash (there tons of flashgames outside) and activate your mouse if you press use on it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Flash is being removed from NS2, on a side not: Imagine NS2D or Super Marine Brothers ingame. We'd never leave the bloody readroom :D

Also Raveroom ++
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited March 2012
    There was a combat mod someone made some time back, I will try and find a link to it.

EDIT:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111818" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=111818</a>

Aw, seems its in 'limbo'. well, at least it exists :)
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1912849:date=Mar 14 2012, 07:27 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Mar 14 2012, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If NS2 is going to be a triple A title, it needs entry level modes like combat even more than ever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Combat was never an "entry level mode". You didn't learn anything from playing combat; in fact, you unlearned what you had learned playing NS.

Combat was never a good way to deal with low player numbers. If you switch from NS to CO, the players who came to your server to play NS left. Then the server fills up with CO players. When the server switches back to NS on map change, the players who came to play CO left. Also, CO players generally seemed to prefer 16vs16 with xmenu, sporemines, rollthedice, gorge hook, jp lift and other nonsense.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Personally I think a marines vs loads of alien bots mode would be better than combat for low player counts, you could get that down to as low as three or four players, and there'd be a lot more action, you could also keep the base mechanics mostly intact too.