Alien egg size for evolving

AemrodAemrod Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146665Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Resizeable, translucent, alien eggs</div>I don't know if this is acceptable or not but it look stupid to me when i see a fade or onos evolves from skulk-lerk sized egg it doesn't look realistic a bit and understandable.
I'm just suggesting that changing the egg size trough evolving like - you spawn as skulk in a small egg then get enough res to evolve a onos or fade when you confirm the evolving you become egg but egg starts to getting bigger(depends on the which evolve option you choose) then you pop up. For the upgrades(if you forgot to choose or couldn't) if you're onos the egg will be biggest one while upgrading, if you're a fade then the egg will be the bigger than spawn eggs.
Eggs can be different maybe or different collor.
Also another idea about eggs i dont know if you realise spawn eggs has a small animation loop but evolve egg doesnt have any animation so i thoght there should be a different animation like egg peels or idk egg starts to develop and maybe egg becomes translucent gradually and can show inside like a shadow.
This would be really good to see in game. Just somethin visual.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    So when marines break into your hive, and you are gestating to Onos, they go for your egg first, then the fades, etc.

Currently marines don't know what is a spawn egg and what is a gestating egg in a hive. This idea leads them direct to the valuable lifeforms they need to kill first. As your egg has the same health regardless of species, this is a bad idea.

While I understand it would look cool and more 'real' it also gives a very significant advantage to the enemy.
  • RanakastraszRanakastrasz Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147512Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911873:date=Mar 10 2012, 11:53 AM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Mar 10 2012, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Currently marines don't know what is a spawn egg and what is a gestating egg in a hive. This idea leads them direct to the valuable lifeforms they need to kill first. As your egg has the same health regardless of species, this is a bad idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I always find this kind of thing amusing.

No, this is a bad idea, because a very easy to change mechanic causes it to be imbalanced. its not like we can change that mechanic to keep balance or anything...

So, why not do this, as well as boost health for the eggs of the higher level lifeforms?
  • AemrodAemrod Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146665Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911873:date=Mar 10 2012, 11:53 AM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Mar 10 2012, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So when marines break into your hive, and you are gestating to Onos, they go for your egg first, then the fades, etc.

Currently marines don't know what is a spawn egg and what is a gestating egg in a hive. This idea leads them direct to the valuable lifeforms they need to kill first. As your egg has the same health regardless of species, this is a bad idea.

While I understand it would look cool and more 'real' it also gives a very significant advantage to the enemy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well my suggestion includes the marine advantage of course but its the aliens duty to defend the hive and area if you dont build a good defence also this way also aliens can see the difference between eggs and can protect them also. And as Ranakastrasz says as the egg becomes bigger it gets hardened which means eggs health and armor gradually gets +
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This has been asked before and is getting added in, there will be a slider for the size
    <!--quoteo(post=1911894:date=Mar 10 2012, 01:19 PM:name=killer monkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killer monkey @ Mar 10 2012, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911894"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has been asked before and is getting added in, there will be a slider for the size<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But only egg size i think. I also suggest something like eggs become transculent also some annimation for egg not just size.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    The egg is supposedly translucent, as seen <a href="http://artisaverb.info/NS2.html" target="_blank">here</a>. As for hatching animation, +1~
  • RanakastraszRanakastrasz Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147512Members
    Yea, but the spark engine does not support transparent(can actually see through) objects yet IRRC, and I dont think it supports translucent(Can see general color, but not any detail) objects either.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1911880:date=Mar 10 2012, 06:29 PM:name=Ranakastrasz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ranakastrasz @ Mar 10 2012, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, why not do this, as well as boost health for the eggs of the higher level lifeforms?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1911889:date=Mar 10 2012, 06:59 PM:name=Aemrod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aemrod @ Mar 10 2012, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911889"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And as Ranakastrasz says as the egg becomes bigger it gets hardened which means eggs health and armor gradually gets +<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So now the egg is boosted because it is obvious that there is an onos in it. So now little rifle doesn't deal enough damage to kill the egg. How do you balance that, I know, let's up the power of the rifle. Oh, now look at that, the rifle is now more powerful than all the other guns.. let's raise them.. now the aliens are getting raped, better boost them...

You get the point.

This is esssentially a 'cosmetic' upgrade, yet the cosmetic upgrade would then require rounds of balancing. If this was a major visual feature, then OK, rebalancing a game for it can be done, but you want to rebalance a game for a feature as tiny as this?

Is it worth it?

You think it is. I don't. That's the beauty of opinion and why we all have one to share :)

According to other posts, the devs are already implementing an egg size feature, whether they have already looked at the issues I've mentioned and don't see them as issues or whatever, my opinion is still unchanged. This is a purely visual feature that would require extra balancing work to incorporate. I don't feel this particular visual feature is important enough to warrant the extra work.

This is just my opinion, hopefully you don't agree with it, and stick to your guns. I am not trying to change your mind, just making a statement of opinion on the subject :)
    Well i think it is worth it. Its something like "well why there is a door in my house?! i dont use them so why extra work for them. OK im not buying doors." this. When i play a game -i'm really picky about which games i play- the first thing i look is controls and interface(playability) then it must have good visual capability. It must captivate me with its visual beauty.
    Natural selection 2 has this potantial and already has most of it.(stiill needs a little more maybe small details but a lot of small details makes a big difference)
    But when i suggest something i can't think about only it's cosmetic visual but also the function.
    About the egg size have you tried to brake a ostrich egg? it is much harder to brake than a normal chicken egg. When size gets bigger, it gets harder to brake as well(in most of the time of course).
    But im also sayin "transculant" which means it also could be fragile. Onos egg can be less transculant maybe less fragile.
    And also there is another suggestion for hatching animation to discuss(actually topic isn't a discussion but suggestion topic)
  • FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
    Growing, translucent eggs would be a welcome addition.

A workaround for the whole "Onos - tiny egg - Onos" issue would be for upgrades to not trigger egg deployment, but instead have upgrades kick in slowly after selection. Sort of like when the rine commander researches A1, rines get A1 30 seconds later, and an icon shows on the hud. Individual alien selects regen, 15 seconds later, regen appears on hud. Inelegant, but balanced and intuitive.