Spinning Skulk mouth huds

Nex CarnifexNex Carnifex Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76366Members
edited March 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
I hate how when you are climbing on the ceiling as a skulk your mouth is positioned as if you were right side up but you ain't so I propose that when you climb on walls or the ceiling the mouth hud rotates as it should instead of making absolutely no sense and somehow not changing position. The vision doesn't need to rotate as we know it isn't the true vision of the aliens (their real eyes are on their head though they should remove those and say they have eyes in their mouth). It's always nicer if things make sense...

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I would like to try that. Having your mouth upside-down would be a cool indication of ceiling crawling (or wall crawling); I just hope the rotation of the mouth wouldn't be too distracting :P
  • Nex CarnifexNex Carnifex Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76366Members
    Maybe the mouth would open a little more so that the mouth wouldn't take up that much of the screen while it rotated, but seriously having it always being parallel to the ground makes absolutely no sense and needs to be fixed.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I fear it would be disorientating, but would be interesting to see once.
  • FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
    This was the default in early NS1. It made for very confusing and nauseating gameplay and had to be removed.

If you want to try it for yourself, you can see it in action in the AvP games.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1911629:date=Mar 9 2012, 07:00 PM:name=Flounder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flounder @ Mar 9 2012, 07:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This was the default in early NS1. It made for very confusing and nauseating gameplay and had to be removed.

If you want to try it for yourself, you can see it in action in the AvP games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They're talking about rotating the skulk mouth, instead of rotating the view :P

I dunno that would make it all even more spinny I think. I'd like to try the AvsP idea though!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1911603:date=Mar 9 2012, 09:34 AM:name=Nex Carnifex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nex Carnifex @ Mar 9 2012, 09:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe the mouth would open a little more so that the mouth wouldn't take up that much of the screen while it rotated, but seriously having it always being parallel to the ground makes absolutely no sense and needs to be fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And skulks see with their tongue rather than their eyes. I find that its ok to suspend my disbelief when its done for practical reasons.
    <!--quoteo(post=1911629:date=Mar 9 2012, 08:00 PM:name=Flounder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flounder @ Mar 9 2012, 08:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This was the default in early NS1. It made for very confusing and nauseating gameplay and had to be removed.

If you want to try it for yourself, you can see it in action in the AvP games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    First of all I'm not proposing they rotate the view but instead rotate the teeth so visually it at least makes sense, and the teeth would pull back a bit so they don't get in the way of the screen on the side of the wall. Though I personally don't feel any disorientation in the AvP games either, it's pretty easy to get used to imo.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911638:date=Mar 9 2012, 08:33 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 9 2012, 08:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And skulks see with their tongue rather than their eyes. I find that its ok to suspend my disbelief when its done for practical reasons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can accept Skulks seeing with their tongues, and maybe having their vision rotate with their position, but the teeth you see in the hud being visually inconsistent just completely ruins the feeling I am fighting marines as an alien instead of a floating camera.
  • RanakastraszRanakastrasz Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147512Members
    edited March 2012
    Yea, The HUD should certainly rotate with the skulk, it makes sense, and would not do a lot to disorent people, and in fact make it obvious the game is going to lengths to NOT disorient you.

Edit: Actually, Im going to look at the Alien HUD and see if I can find a way to do this. It depends tho, on whether or not I can figure out how to reference the alien's model's roll value.

Edit2: Unfortunately, I cannot determine any way to so much as modify the actual HUD. I believe the Alien HUD is an actual model, which follows the player's camera, and is invisible to all players aside from the local player. However, although I may have found where it is initilized, i cannot alter it in any way, as I cannot find any periodic functions that appear to do anything.