LUA and the CPU bottleneck

w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
I know, it's another performance topic but it's not to flame the developers.

Seeing that the LUA garbage collector takes up to 10msec per frame on my rig, I was wondering what is being done to adress the fundamental CPU bottleneck issue?

I mean, there is no way it will get fixed by doing minor/medium optimizations to all the different systems when it is quite clear (I might be wrong) that the all-gameplay-in-lua method is a performance killer.
Im especially interested concerning the server (how will the server code ever run smooth with LUA garbage collection?) - btw. is there a profiling function for the server as there is for the client?

In any way, I'd love to have some sort of pre-post mortem about your decision of going all-in on LUA as I'm also thinking about creating an engine.

Comments

• MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    I believe the profile command should work on the server too (iirc it opens a new window showing the profile data).
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    How if you cannot type in the console window?

TAB opens a "console" window, but I cannot use it in any way..

/ohh nevermind, you have to press the console key in the console window... -.-
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Type "profile" in the server console, then hit ` (tilde) and you will see the profiler running.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think this is something they should look into, in some cases the garbage collector takes up to 30% of the cpu time, usually something like 5-20% ... seems quite a lot, if they are able to cut that down, wouldn't the game run better?

Despite better multithreading. Doesn't seem to use all CPUS very well.