Feedback from NS1 comm Vet and IRcombat creator

zachtoszachtos Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28078Awaiting Authorization, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
Flayra/Charlie,

I'm an old NS1 veteran/constellation member. I commanded 50% of my playtime and played for about 4 years. I'm an Engineer and a programmer, so I know what it takes to build/design. I built my own real life laser tag game insipred by Half-life mods (IRcombat.com).

Tutorial
Please include an in game tutorial. It needs to have a story line built into the tutorial (starship troopers or SC style). Make it a single player device that launches by default. This would make the game feel more polished and prevent a lot of frustration from new players flooding servers and dragging games down with teaching.

Compliments
LOVE that aliens have comm now. Now truly an FPS/RTS for both teams. Great way to add leadership role.
ARCs are epic. I LOVE the audio and visuals, amazing. Well done.
Love the creep model for aliens, makes the game feel more dynamic (needs tweaking still though)
Alien vision, very sweet. Even the wife said that looks like a predator movie (need the predator 'snap' sound effect when turn on/off).
Great new weapons for marines. Flamethrower will entice alot of players to buy the game alone!
NO COMBAT mode, yay! I know it was popular, but it cut the community in half, and many people would leave the game when a combat map rotated in. Most players love the RTS mode. Combat was basically a deathmatch, and there are plenty of games out there that already do that. Show your strengths! RTS/FPS Hybrid!!!

Future Game Expanision
Psionic Race - Plan ahead while programming... great way to make some more cash!

Commanding
Squads assignment/hotkeys please
Select all units
Need que-able drones, MACs and ARCs to feel more 'polished' like a real RTS

Suggestions
Global level persistence. See league of legends or Team Fortress 2. These games have that 'levelling' feeling that keeps players coming back and spending money. This could be a way to finance servers if implemented properly.
Smart phones are everywhere. An app of some sort that is a mobile version of the game would help boost profits.

Alien Assist Tab
umbra - cloak - primal scream - flash - sense life

Marine Assist Tab
health - ammo - catalyst - nano shield - scan

Aliens
Alien Teleport or phase gate... Think Nexus gates for aliens that the comm can research (or the old hive use to jump).
Alien comm very boring by comparison, mostly because they have little support role compared to marine comm.
Alien Comm needs an assist tab like the marines (cloak, flash, umbra, etc all in one spot)
Umbra has very limitted usage right now. It could be better if the comm could deploy it like an assist item using mature crag energy. It feels weak compared to mature shades.
Alien scan would be handy, some sort of intelligence feedback to give active role for comm.
Make creep wither and die like a plant. Fade black, dry out and crumble.
Expanding creep is boring and too much micromanagement. Remove creep chaining and just make it so you need creep to build strucutres like in SC. It's very confusing for new players and will be a nightmare in public servers. It would be better served if it was like SC where you can't build structures w/o creep, but they don't die if the chain is broken. A suggestion to make creep valuable in other areas is to give it some passive abilities... Such as aliens regenerate faster on creep (SC), or let them burrow on creep, or sense-life? something to make it valuable to spread it other then just hives and resources.
Lerks are kind of boring now w/o bite. Good at their job, but not exciting until they have more support abilities.
Aliens w/ a medium range class or weapon would be handy. They are lacking mid range weapons. Not as many 'toys' overall as marines per say.
Infested marines. Just saying, would be hilarious fun and feel more 'alien' like.

Marines
Buff command chair HP since many games are ended in this manner. It's not even close to as hard as killing a hive.
HMG or at least a different machine gun look/feel for grenade launcher.
3 round burst toggle.
Reduce welder research cost and mine research cost since they are important early game.
It would be nice to give all weapons a secondary ability (from a player fun aspect).
An energy weapon of sorts would be cool, more futuristic (maybe change sounds on rifle or gl?).

Comments

• BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tutorial
    Please include an in game tutorial. It needs to have a story line built into the tutorial (starship troopers or SC style). <u><b>Make it a single player device that launches by default.</b></u> This would make the game feel more polished and prevent a lot of frustration from new players flooding servers and dragging games down with teaching.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree that a tutorial is needed, and I beleive it is coming, but having it launch by default/a stand alone launcher seems silly. Why not just have it that when a player loads up the game and goes to play, a window pops up in game asking if they want to play the tutorial - with a "click x to never see this again" or something along those lines? Also I feel having a storyline in the tutorial seems unneccissary, or atleast, more time consuming than needed.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Love the creep model for aliens, makes the game feel more dynamic (needs tweaking still though)
    Alien vision, very sweet. Even the wife said that looks like a predator movie (need the predator 'snap' sound effect when turn on/off).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both of these are placeholders that the team have planned on changing for a long time now.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NO COMBAT mode, yay! I know it was popular, but it cut the community in half, and many people would leave the game when a combat map rotated in. Most players love the RTS mode. Combat was basically a deathmatch, and there are plenty of games out there that already do that. Show your strengths! RTS/FPS Hybrid!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Definitely agree.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Future Game Expanision
    Psionic Race - Plan ahead while programming... great way to make some more cash!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I seriously doubt seeing UWE do this, MAYBE someone from the community might, IDK. I personally would much rather it stay with just the two. 1v1v1 would feel wierd and unbalanced, and for 1v1 it would be wierd to decide who goes what race.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Commanding
    Select all units<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Already in.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Need que-able drones, MACs and ARCs to feel more 'polished' like a real RTS<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep. Agreed.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Suggestions
    Global level persistence. See league of legends or Team Fortress 2. These games have that 'levelling' feeling that keeps players coming back and spending money. This could be a way to finance servers if implemented properly.
    Smart phones are everywhere. An app of some sort that is a mobile version of the game would help boost profits.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dear god, please no. Please, just no.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens
    Alien Teleport or phase gate... Think Nexus gates for aliens that the comm can research (or the old hive use to jump).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The NS2 equiv of the MC is still to come, it will - AFAIK - feature hive to hive teleport just like the MC did in NS1.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien scan would be handy, some sort of intelligence feedback to give active role for comm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's up to the skulks.
    <!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make creep wither and die like a plant. Fade black, dry out and crumble.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As mentioned before, creep is a placeholder at the moment. Adding that seems unneccisary, it's fine just receeding.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Expanding creep is boring and too much micromanagement. Remove creep chaining and just make it so you need creep to build strucutres like in SC. It's very confusing for new players and will be a nightmare in public servers. It would be better served if it was like SC where you can't build structures w/o creep, but they don't die if the chain is broken.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure what you are getting at here? You contradict yourself a few times and it just doesn't make sense, sorry :S. Also; It's not a nightmare in public servers at all.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A suggestion to make creep valuable in other areas is to give it some passive abilities... Such as aliens regenerate faster on creep (SC), or let them burrow on creep, or sense-life? something to make it valuable to spread it other then just hives and resources.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

AFAIK, all the things you suggested are already in with the exception of burrow. I haven't really payed attention to whether my hp regens faster though, so that might not be a thing, but everything you just mentioned has been discussed to death on the forums already.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines
    Buff command chair HP since many games are ended in this manner. It's not even close to as hard as killing a hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HMG or at least a different machine gun look/feel for grenade launcher.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Minigun/Chaingun/whatever it's called is still coming. I would expect to see it released along with exosuit and the Shift (NS2's MC)

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3 round burst toggle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't see myself using it at all, but I guess it would be a nice option. Not sure how one would swap between modes though.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reduce welder research cost and mine research cost since they are important early game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aliens have it tough early game too, they are extremely energy starved. It's balanced enough for now.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would be nice to give all weapons a secondary ability (from a player fun aspect).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much everything already does. I think the exception is the shotgun? May be wrong.

Apologies for double post, but I was past my quote limit and cbf going through that all and editting now that I spent all that time on it.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Buff command chair HP since many games are ended in this manner. It's not even close to as hard as killing a hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    because the hive cant be speed build unlike a cc when there are a bunch of marines and wrenchbots present?
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 04:24 PM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 04:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Future Game Expanision
    Psionic Race - Plan ahead while programming... great way to make some more cash!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is that like Mind flayers or something? like In baldurs gate where they stun you then eat your brains.
    <!--quoteo(post=1908575:date=Mar 1 2012, 01:06 PM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Mar 1 2012, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is that like Mind flayers or something? like In baldurs gate where they stun you then eat your brains.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds to me more like Protoss in SC2 (Thus completing the Human, Scourge, Super Intelligent trio)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908575:date=Mar 1 2012, 12:06 AM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Mar 1 2012, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is that like Mind flayers or something? like In baldurs gate where they stun you then eat your brains.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, mind flayras!

Also about the alien version of scan, a crazy idea but how about changing parasite into a time based version which would cause the marine's vision to leak information to the hive network. But still be able to be removed via medkit. (As in whatever marines or structures the parasited marine is nearby would be leaked to the hivenetwork/minimap.)

It would have the first person vein effect like xenocide had for the skulk in b198. Probably some coughing too so nearby players could know he was parasited.
  • digitaldigital Join Date: 2011-01-30 Member: 79669Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 04:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 04:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien scan would be handy, some sort of intelligence feedback to give active role for comm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aliens should see marines on their minimap/red ringed when the marines walk on the creep.
  • HemiHemi Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145362Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Suggestions
    Smart phones are everywhere. An app of some sort that is a mobile version of the game would help boost profits.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes please YESSS lol
  • zachtoszachtos Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28078Awaiting Authorization, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I did not read the forums yet, just a list of suggestions from my 2 weeks of testing. Hopefully I had some original ideas here.

The alien assist tab is still my most desired upgrade:
    Alien Assist Tab
    umbra - cloak - primal scream - flash - sense life

NS2 will need tutorial that integrates a storyline. The problem is, I think the game will get dinged in reviews without one.

Regarding persistent leveling, I think it's just a way to keep people addicted to the game. IT WORKS. Look at any game that offerst that as an option for proof. You could also do in game leveling (like empires mod did).

Yes, the Psionic race would be just like the protoss in Star Craft (no copy right infringement here right?). I'm just throwing it out there if the game makes a ton of money and players want a paid expansion. I suppose the easiest way would be specific maps that are alien vs psionic or marine vs alien etc. Or just a simple vote menu when new map starts or a mini game in ready room? Just ideas for making money for the developers. Even warcraft has 3 races now, just sayin'

Regarding creep, I know it's a work in process, but I would just like it better if it worked like in starcraft. Lay a structure that creates creep, but does not need to be linked. Then you can build on it or regenerate faster/burrow on it.

Movement chambers/Nexus. I was more thinking a tunnel from A to B, not just to a hive, but either would be fine. Aliens need mobility too!

I hope some of these suggestions make it into the game, good luck! Charlie is kind of my personal hero. I am too chicken###### to go off on my own to start my own company w/ my product.
  • ChaosNLChaosNL Join Date: 2011-07-31 Member: 113237Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Mar 1 2012, 04:24 AM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Mar 1 2012, 04:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Smart phones are everywhere. An app of some sort that is a mobile version of the game would help boost profits.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 style towerdefense :O
    Aliens walking from hive to CC. of course aliens become increasingly difficult: skulk>lerk>fade>onos. maybe some cloaking as well (need for obs)
    Rines needa stop them. Towers would be rines with lmg,shotty,flamer(damage over time)? support: turret, mines and obs.
    I'd buy that xD
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908736:date=Mar 1 2012, 11:00 AM:name=ChaosNL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChaosNL @ Mar 1 2012, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 style towerdefense :O
    Aliens walking from hive to CC. of course aliens become increasingly difficult: skulk>lerk>fade>onos. maybe some cloaking as well (need for obs)
    Rines needa stop them. Towers would be rines with lmg,shotty,flamer(damage over time)? support: turret, mines and obs.
    I'd buy that xD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

THIS WOULD BE SO EPIC and would take minimal programming, compared to NS2.
    Not that UWE has the time to make this now but I'd totally buy it.

Maybe have 2 game modes, where you can play as aliens defending incoming marines that get harder.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    or a ns2stronghold td ? 3 teams version
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Feb 29 2012, 10:24 PM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Feb 29 2012, 10:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOVE that aliens have comm now. Now truly an FPS/RTS for both teams. Great way to add leadership role.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Further erodes the asymmetry that was such a vital part of the esthetic in NS1.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Feb 29 2012, 10:24 PM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Feb 29 2012, 10:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Love the creep model for aliens, makes the game feel more dynamic (needs tweaking still though)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thus far I have not observed creep and power node systems do anything but make the commander role more shallow and tedious.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Feb 29 2012, 10:24 PM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Feb 29 2012, 10:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Global level persistence. See league of legends or Team Fortress 2. These games have that 'levelling' feeling that keeps players coming back and spending money. This could be a way to finance servers if implemented properly.

First of april is next month.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Feb 29 2012, 10:24 PM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Feb 29 2012, 10:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien Teleport or phase gate... Think Nexus gates for aliens that the comm can research (or the old hive use to jump).

[...]

Alien scan would be handy, some sort of intelligence feedback to give active role for comm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's no reason to have an alien team at all if they're just going to be a reskin of marines.

<!--quoteo(post=1908521:date=Feb 29 2012, 10:24 PM:name=zachtos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zachtos @ Feb 29 2012, 10:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien comm very boring by comparison, mostly because they have little support role compared to marine comm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd remove the alien comm and punt the responsibility back to gorges. Gorges would be the only class that gets to spend team res and they do so by building structures.