Abuse of Land Mines

MOSSMOSS Join Date: 2012-02-28 Member: 147669Members
edited February 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Suggestion: land mines do friendly fire to user</div>I have been seeing a lot of marines using land mines as an alternative to shooting aliens in close combat situations. The marine will plant a mine at their feet while a skulk is attacking them. This has become a very effective way of killing aliens close combat during mid and early game. I am concerned that this is an abuse of the weapon, as I see land mines used for this purpose more than I see them used for what I assume is their intended function (to be planted around map for vision and defensive purposes).

To discourage the use of landmines as an offensive weapon, I suggest that land mines do friendly fire to the user if it explodes within a close range. Landmines will not detonate if the user stands on them, but if an alien unit detonates the land mine and the user is within range of the explosion, he/she will take damage.

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Wouldn't it just be easier to give them a time delay before activating?

I mean, it'd be kind of dumb if you had to avoid minefields you'd laid for fear of getting killed by them in the event of an attack. You shouldn't be penalised for spending money on base defence by getting blown up defending the base.
  • Ph0enixPh0enix Join Date: 2002-10-08 Member: 1462Members, Constellation
    Kinda balanced by the res cost - 10 res to kill one skulk is a bit of a waste. That said a 3 sec arming time would be fine to counter this.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1907855:date=Feb 28 2012, 04:04 PM:name=MOSS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MOSS @ Feb 28 2012, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have been seeing a lot of marines using land mines as an alternative to shooting aliens in close combat situations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh noes, thats horrible, they realy use the mines to kill aliens?
    How dare they are.
    <!--quoteo(post=1907855:date=Feb 28 2012, 04:04 PM:name=MOSS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MOSS @ Feb 28 2012, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I suggest that land mines do friendly fire to the user if it explodes within a close range.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you serious?
    What was the matter?
    I guess the model of the mines is just a palceholder, because its the mine model from ns1.
    Which means, they working on it, im sure about that.
    <b>I mean marines buy them with many resources and alien die if a mine kill them but what did marines got?
    Just time, nothing else, the mines cost res, but don't give marines res.
    </b>
    I don't see a problem.

@Ph0enix
    I guess mines cost 15 res, which is a lot, compared to one hit shotgun.
    Edit:
    i was right: "kMineCost = 15" compared to a shotgun which cost 20.
    The most times, i use mines to secure rts, which not many people did...sadly.
    but i also use them to attack a hive and get a backup if i only got a GL.

I don't understand they crying about mines, aliens have many ways to kill them, gorge bilebomb, fade blink and many more.
    even skulks can destroy them with parasite or just walk over them.
    They have a delay, like always i survive a mine if i run and leap over a mine.

<!--quoteo(post=1907888:date=Feb 28 2012, 05:30 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 28 2012, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wouldn't it just be easier to give them a time delay before activating?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They have a delay before they are armed :P
    After i test something i found that a fade can blink on a mine and it will not explode.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907896:date=Feb 28 2012, 12:28 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 28 2012, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After i test something i found that a fade can blink on a mine and it will not explode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But you can initiate a blink on/near a mine, causing it to explode without taking damage.
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    Mines are fine as is. Once a 2nd hive is up they become useless.

If the team has a good lerk or smart skulks, they are useless at 1 hive too.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907939:date=Feb 28 2012, 03:38 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Feb 28 2012, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But you can initiate a blink on/near a mine, causing it to explode without taking damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is super-annoying as marines, since fades seem to clear mines out of bases without having any risk or drawback.

I think it might be better to have the mine detonation be instant damage, and not be detonated by an ethereal fade. That way if a fade gets close enough to detonate it, he's going to take the damage no matter what. But he can't just blink through and clear all the mines out without taking any damage.

This avoids having to make the fade vulnerable during blink, and keeps mine-removal to ranged attacks such as parasite and spikes.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1907976:date=Feb 29 2012, 12:17 AM:name=BVKnight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BVKnight @ Feb 29 2012, 12:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is super-annoying as marines, since fades seem to clear mines out of bases without having any risk or drawback.

I think it might be better to have the mine detonation be instant damage, and not be detonated by an ethereal fade. That way if a fade gets close enough to detonate it, he's going to take the damage no matter what. But he can't just blink through and clear all the mines out without taking any damage.

This avoids having to make the fade vulnerable during blink, and keeps mine-removal to ranged attacks such as parasite and spikes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Afaik. mines already don't detonate if the fade is blinking. The mines have a short delay between them triggering and the mine actually detonating, so you can go close to it until you hear the trigger sound and blink away to avoid the damage.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    The lerk is the mine's worst enemy.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908027:date=Feb 28 2012, 07:43 PM:name=Rautapalli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rautapalli @ Feb 28 2012, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Afaik. mines already don't detonate if the fade is blinking. The mines have a short delay between them triggering and the mine actually detonating, so you can go close to it until you hear the trigger sound and blink away to avoid the damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, then what must be happening is fades are blinking in, triggering, and blinking out before they detonate. In that case the first part of my suggestion still stands: remove the delay between mines being triggered and damage being dealt. If the fade steps on the mine, the fade gets hurt.
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    There is nothing wrong with mines at the moment.

Friendly-fire on mines is just silly, and inconsistant with other explosive weaponry.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    Yeah, as others have said, mines become considerably less effective in the mid-game as long as aliens know where they are.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908033:date=Feb 29 2012, 01:55 AM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Feb 29 2012, 01:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The lerk is the mine's worst enemy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If i play marines its the other way round. ^^
    Just place some mines on the top of a room and the lerk dies very fast.
    Also its a rumor that mines are useless if hive #2 is up.
    I kill a lot of skulks and secure rts against skulks.
    but if the aliens play smart, marines are always doomed.
    Thats the problem with actual balance, if marines prevent aliens from hive #2, they win.
    if aliens get and hold hive #2, marines have lost.
    we will see how its balanced soon.
    fades can be very hard to kill, specialy if they use the stab ability while blink.
  • AemrodAemrod Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146665Members
    i can say just one thing about mines and thats when a alien destroyes a mine(not with triping but damaging with projectile attacks) it should damage nearby marines and marine buildings maybe that way no one will spam mines. It can be minimal damage but even minimal damages are fatal in this game.
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    It can be anoying when marines run around throwing mines on skulks, i'd vote for an arming sequence when u can't do anything (think disarming the bomb in counter strike). So u have an animation where u press some buttons on the mine etc. (requires the new mine model...), and then chuck it as usual. Then perhaps a breif delay before it becomes active.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then perhaps a breif delay before it becomes active.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    there already is such delay, making it almost useless in a direct combat.

mines blowing up nearby other mines seems like the very best solution they could have come up with, i am quite happy with the mines as they are.
    if they deal ff to yourself, this would discourage people to use them for base defense: not only do you spend the pres, you also get the disadvantage of being blown up later on...