Stop Dropping Shotguns at Armories

CannonFodder100CannonFodder100 Join Date: 2011-09-14 Member: 121355Members
edited February 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Simple switch - when you buy a primary weapon at an armory while you have a rifle, just remove the rifle entirely instead of dropping it. At present, if you buy something like a shotgun and then try to buy a pack of mines or what have you without moving, you'll unintentionally pick up the rifle because they're both functions of +use.
Dropping the rifle elsewhere would make sense, but at the armory, you can simply equip a new one if you decide you don't want your more expensive weapon for whatever insane reason.

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Or just change it so drop weapon key = pick-up weapon key, instead of +use which is used to access the Armory Buy Menu.
  • CannonFodder100CannonFodder100 Join Date: 2011-09-14 Member: 121355Members
    It would be a better change aesthetically anyway; it's just not aesthetically appealing to have 5 rifles sitting on the ground. I'm not sure of the logic behind dropping and picking up weapons being on different keys, so I can't really argue or support that.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    Trash the old weapons. Don't make them fall to the floor.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1907063:date=Feb 26 2012, 04:59 PM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Feb 26 2012, 04:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Trash the old weapons. Don't make them fall to the floor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey theres an idea, what if it recycled the weapon for like a couple res a piece.
    Team or personal res
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Need the ability to sell or recycle unwanted weapons for some of the cash back.
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    I'm impartial to the rifles dissapearing when you buy a new gun, I don't really care either way.

What I do care about, however, is the fact they still haven't changed the drop/pickup weapon key. It's rediculously frustrating to have everything bound to one key. There's no reason not to, or atleast, no reason not to allow US to bind our own keys.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I do care about, however, is the fact they still haven't changed the drop/pickup weapon key. It's rediculously frustrating to have everything bound to one key. There's no reason not to, or atleast, no reason not to allow US to bind our own keys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1.
    <!--quoteo(post=1907075:date=Feb 26 2012, 06:44 PM:name=BearTaxi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTaxi @ Feb 26 2012, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I do care about, however, is the fact they still haven't changed the drop/pickup weapon key. It's rediculously frustrating to have everything bound to one key. There's no reason not to, or atleast, no reason not to allow US to bind our own keys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"g" is a good key, we should use that.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2012
    Hate this so much, my whole team was in hectic and try to build up a phasegate a fade kill one marine and everybody picked up the weapon and swap and swap.

@assbda
    Is drop weapon on my PC :P
    But i guess just change the use key to ALT?

<!--quoteo(post=1907073:date=Feb 26 2012, 07:15 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Feb 26 2012, 07:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Need the ability to sell or recycle unwanted weapons for some of the cash back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And aliens the ability to destroy dropped weapons :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1907127:date=Feb 27 2012, 12:11 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 27 2012, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@assbda
    Is drop weapon on my PC :P
    But i guess just change the use key to ALT?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How many people are going to accidentally alt+tab when they were trying to look at the scoreboard while building :D?

I think E is fine for a use key cause its right there above the index finger, but shouldent be used for weapon pickups.
  • FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
    Make the old rifle disappear. I'm pretty sure that highly trained space marines don't throw rifles on the ground after stopping off at the armory.
  • AegisXIAegisXI Join Date: 2012-02-11 Member: 144985Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907182:date=Feb 26 2012, 12:25 PM:name=Flounder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flounder @ Feb 26 2012, 12:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907182"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make the old rifle disappear. I'm pretty sure that highly trained space marines don't throw rifles on the ground after stopping off at the armory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol win
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907010:date=Feb 25 2012, 07:44 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Feb 25 2012, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or just change it so drop weapon key = pick-up weapon key, instead of +use which is used to access the Armory Buy Menu.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1 for dedicated weapon pickup/drop key

<!--quoteo(post=1907182:date=Feb 26 2012, 12:25 PM:name=Flounder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flounder @ Feb 26 2012, 12:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907182"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make the old rifle disappear. I'm pretty sure that highly trained space marines don't throw rifles on the ground after stopping off at the armory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both of these changes should be made, and hopefully <i>will </i>be made.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    I'm with the masses on this one; rather than USE picking up weapons on the ground, have DROP WEAPON do it. No possibility you're going to accidentally toss your flamethrower for a mostly-empty rifle in the process of trying to open a door, then.

On a related note, I like the idea of armories absorbing your old rifle when you buy a new one; I'd like to see either a res credit (shotgun to GL costs 10 points, not 25, GL to shotgun is free) or a res return (shotgun to GL costs 10 (15 back, 25 for GL), GL to shotgun actually GIVES you 10 Pres). Dying in the field should still drop your weapon, but you ought to be able to put a weapon back into the armory for recycling, as it's tied to the marine nano-ecology. I love getting into a firefight, seeing the guy in front of me get chomped without getting a shot off, and surprising some skulk by running my rifle dry, and picking up my buddy's full one quickly rather than slowly reloading.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    a bunch of marines died around an extractor that wasn't built yet

i tried to build the extractor
    ended up i just keep switching out my lmg for another lmg lol...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'll quote myself from another "armory drop weapon bug post"

<!--quoteo(post=1911282:date=Mar 8 2012, 03:46 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Mar 8 2012, 03:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has already been fixed internally, by making weapon pickup and drop use the G key but it feel VERY awkward to use G for picking up weapons as well, instead of using E for this. I'd rather see the weapon pick up key be switched back to E again and use a something comparable to hitscan, tohave the engine test what you are pointing at with your crosshair. This would also make it possible to pick up specific weapons.

Let's say you want your shotgun back, but it is in a pile of other stuff, you can now point at the thing you want to pick up instead of cycling through them by luck<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->