Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 198 released topic

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
edited February 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 198 released here

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i>Something went wrong when moving/merging topics, sorry about that. --Zaggy</i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Comments

• MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    Seems kinda faster on client side.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    love it !!! thanks guys!
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited February 2012
    Can't wait to try out the builder and welder! Finally, Marines can repair structures.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't wait to jump in and see the new welder and gorge build menu.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Nice and speedy once again~~~~
    Spectator minimap doesn't show all things that are there. It shows stuff around player you're currently spectating and from time to time it shows more stuff. It also doesn't show some buildings - there was PG near armory, sentry and RT and PG wasn't shown.
  • TosanTosan Join Date: 2010-08-05 Member: 73498Members
    edited February 2012
    Edit: nevermind, validated file cache and fixed the issue ;P
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    question, im downloading it right now, is gorge spit still in since cyst is 1, hydra is 2.... would be nice to move spit back to 1 if its still in.. really hoping it wasnt removed..
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1906718:date=Feb 25 2012, 01:00 AM:name=MOOtant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MOOtant @ Feb 25 2012, 01:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spectator minimap doesn't show all things that are there. It shows stuff around player you're currently spectating and from time to time it shows more stuff. It also doesn't show some buildings - there was PG near armory, sentry and RT and PG wasn't shown.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The other servers probably haven't updated yet.

There is also some weirdness going on with the server browser where servers can take a while to appear, generally if you wait a bit and refresh they appear eventually but it might take a few minutes.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1906719:date=Feb 24 2012, 06:01 PM:name=Tosan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tosan @ Feb 24 2012, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone know what's wrong with my client?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What version does it say the game is running in the top left? You will probably have to be in a game for that to show so just start a local server alone. Try verifying the files in Steam and if nothing else helps, try reinstalling the game.

<!--quoteo(post=1906720:date=Feb 24 2012, 06:01 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Feb 24 2012, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->question, im downloading it right now, is gorge spit still in since cyst is 1, hydra is 2.... would be nice to move spit back to 1 if its still in.. really hoping it wasnt removed..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The spit is still 1. There is a build menu now in slot 2 and cyst is 1 inside that build menu (think of the Engineer build menu in TF2). It is simpler than I am making it sound.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906722:date=Feb 24 2012, 06:06 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Feb 24 2012, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What version does it say the game is running in the top left? You will probably have to be in a game for that to show so just start a local server alone. Try verifying the files in Steam and if nothing else helps, try reinstalling the game.

The spit is still 1. There is a build menu now in slot 2 and cyst is 1 inside that build menu (think of the Engineer build menu in TF2). It is simpler than I am making it sound.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

nah i get it, the news update just was written badly of sorts, thx
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Loving the Builder and Welder, also Skulk Xenocide is hilarious :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2012-02-24 Member: 147348
    Well, There is a Bug... Aliens can't spawn :D
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    - Importent note about the circle arond the building notification, it starts big and then goes small around the edges of the building notification. Please dont make this, it takes to much space if your hub. You already have to much information, which is blocking your view when firing at the aliens.

- Also the building notification shows constantly in your screen where it is, which is annoying if you're over 40 m away from it. Make it only visible to people which are near the structor 5-15m.

- No crosshair for welder , hard to see when you actually are welding your teammate without it.

- New crash bugg, everytime you tab out of the game while playing you're crashing now. This didn't happend in the previous build.
    <!--quoteo(post=1906721:date=Feb 25 2012, 02:05 AM:name=MrYiff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrYiff @ Feb 25 2012, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The other servers probably haven't updated yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I updated my server.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906730:date=Feb 25 2012, 02:31 AM:name=r3d0xXuS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (r3d0xXuS @ Feb 25 2012, 02:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906730"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, There is a Bug... Aliens can't spawn :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    if it happened on the map ns2_lockdown, it' a map-specific bug.
    the map was only a testmap and is not supported anymore
  • Trainee.gerTrainee.ger Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100097Members
    i had 3 great matches! i also have better fps then a few builds ago, keep up the good work :)

gorge base rushes are quiet op though
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Any performance optimisations made?
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    OMG OMG OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME AND TRY IT. JOYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The new builder looks really cool. It needs more sound though, too silent, not enough feedback. I kinda miss the sparks!

Commander way points are much better now, work like clock work.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    great improvements. good job
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    And then sneakiness became impossible.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well first impressions =]

<b>good</b>
    -mac autorepair
    -new sounds are awesomesauce
    -Ability to weld!
    -local obs mt :)
    -the automatic buildorders is nice especially if your new to the game, although it would be nicer still if the user could choose to switch back to the old text build notifier which didn't block up the screen so much.

<b>bad</b>
    -Welder repairs slightly too fast i feel, especially marine armour
    -Welder range is far too small leading to a chronic inability to welder aliens as well as marines
    -Gorge build menu. I understand its needed to accommodate new gorge structures, but atleast give us the ability to repeat build the structure we selected. Having to press two buttons for every cyst or hydra we want to build gets slightly frustrating - especially since placing minicysts or hydra spamming is already a repetitive task.
    -Marines still start with too much res since they were given a free IP. Early shotguns basically has no economic tradeoff. Same thing over and over again as marines and aliens gets a bit boring. What happened to the lmg/skulk play that made ns1 really fun?
    -Hives are still a bit too cheap.
  • Baron Di JominiBaron Di Jomini Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906731:date=Feb 24 2012, 05:33 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Feb 24 2012, 05:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Also the building notification shows constantly in your screen where it is, which is annoying if you're over 40 m away from it. Make it only visible to people which are near the structor 5-15m.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also maybe tweak it so that if a mac is building it doesn't show up and/or if you are invading alien territory. When you are attacking a hive and you hear the build order it is kind of distracting.

I like the patch overall. Agree with teh comment about welder radius needing a boost, although I did weld kill a gorge =D
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    3 bites on a marine not one hit marker
  • Egad!Egad! Join Date: 2011-10-19 Member: 128250Members
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Can anyone tell me if you can kill aliens with the welders, like ns1? I'll hop on and try it later. Great patch!
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    ^- Yes you can, if you can keep that tiny flame on it :)
  • Egad!Egad! Join Date: 2011-10-19 Member: 128250Members
    I've noticed some pretty horrendous lag, however. Not sure yet if it is the server or the patch, but its the worst I've seen in quite some time.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not sure what changed in this patch, but every game I've played has been awesome.

The last one went on for about an hour and a half. marines took down the cave hive with a ninja attack, aliens pushed and got refinery, then we retook cave and lost refinery, then marines did a 10-ARC push towards rock crushing and we got it down with the hive having barely any life left.

They pushed on every hive at one point or another, and each time got it down to almost nothing and we won out and got it back up to full health. Great teamwork on both sides. There was about 20 minutes of the game where we kept getting pushed back and pushed back, then finally took out their ninja base and were getting some onii up to push forward. looked like we were winning when my game crashed.

frustrating, I know, but it happens. The important part is that everything was running great for and intense and amazing game.

Keep up the good work.