Deeper Weapon Development

MajorAjerMajorAjer Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146304Members
edited February 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hey so I kind of miss some of the abilities in Natural Selection 1 that didn't make it into the roster of kharaa abilities some should be brought back after the 3rd hive drop. Also after weapons 2 there should be an option of munitions upgrades to balance the new abilities of the opposition, at a cost of course.

What i was thinking what this
<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Skulk</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - Xenocide
<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Gorge</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - Umbra
<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Lerk</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - Ability to shoot gas clouds.
<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Fade</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - Metabolize
<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Onos</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - Devour

And as for marines:
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><b>Machine Gun</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - Armor Piercing Rounds, basically rounds that ignore armor or do more damage to heavier targets.
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><b>Pistol</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - Tracking dart, essentially the equivalent of a marine parasite only because motion tracking is gone.
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><b>Shotgun</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - Exploding shells, these would do more damage and be useful at a distance but up close would damage the shooter thus making it better for fleeing oni, fades and lerks but, less useful on skulks.
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><b>Grenade launcher</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - Cluster shells, There should only be 3 in the magazine and when they explode they should launch out 4 more grenades à la jetforce gemini or maybe Team Fortress Classic's Hwg/demo alternate Grenade (if memory serves me correctly)
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><b>Flamethrower</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - Make it shoot tar, This tar would make the flamethrower lose its damage over time but, it would impair the mobility of the aliens. something like 25% reduction in movement speed and unable to cloak.
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><b>Mines</b> <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->- Hand Grenade.
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro--><b>All weapons</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - Increased Magazine capacity, 25% increase in magazine size.

Each of these upgrades should cost between 5-15 res and only 1 weapon upgrade can be applied to a weapon. You could however, walk around with extended magazine on your smg, a hand grenade, and a tracking dart. This would then give the marines something to blow their res on should they not be able to afford weapons and need a little boost in firepower or intel.

I really hope that these get adopted into the game. I really just want a little bit more weapon variety.

Comments

• Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited February 2012
    some interesting ideas. i also feel like there could be more variety among weapon.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    For devour and xenocide, I think that each upgrade should be purchased with every use. So if you use devour, you have to buy it again.
  • WebbieWebbie Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1904499:date=Feb 18 2012, 02:35 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Feb 18 2012, 02:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For devour and xenocide, I think that each upgrade should be purchased with every use. So if you use devour, you have to buy it again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Evolve hunger!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Personally, I like some of those ont he list, and not others.

I'd like 3rd Hive Xenocide back in, as well as Onos devour.

I like the idea of shooting fuel from the flame thrower, and being able to ignite it.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    hopefully some modder did a mod like this if the game is released.
  • bagemsbagems Join Date: 2012-02-15 Member: 145815Members
  • sebusebu Join Date: 2011-09-21 Member: 122375Members
    I dont think fade metabolize would fit the gameplay that theyr trying to think of. Metabolize enables fade to be more of in depth "field agent" aka. lonewolf rambo, which I wouldnt want it to become. In competitive play on ns1 that was the case, but i would do it basic damage dealer and killer of a team, not just solo playing fraghunt maniac. He SHOULD have to get back to hives to get healed, and find those gorges to get his ass back to field, not to hang in vents to sit around and metabolize.

Devour on the other hand is too hard to balance as they have stated.

One idea that i loved, was the "Tracking dart" we really need marine equivalent tracking technology against hivesight. But MT, would make skulks far too easy to gun down when aiming gets better. Theyr too slow and big compared to ns1. Or somekind of proximity scanning device, that could be triggered by the carrier.
  • MajorAjerMajorAjer Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146304Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1904522:date=Feb 18 2012, 02:22 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Feb 18 2012, 02:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904522"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally, I like some of those ont he list, and not others.

I'd like 3rd Hive Xenocide back in, as well as Onos devour.

I like the idea of shooting fuel from the flame thrower, and being able to ignite it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Igniting fuel from the flamethrower was my first initial thought. I decided against it because then there is no reason to not get the upgrade.

<!--quoteo(post=1904610:date=Feb 18 2012, 12:18 PM:name=sebu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sebu @ Feb 18 2012, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont think fade metabolize would fit the gameplay that theyr trying to think of. Metabolize enables fade to be more of in depth "field agent" aka. lonewolf rambo, which I wouldnt want it to become. In competitive play on ns1 that was the case, but i would do it basic damage dealer and killer of a team, not just solo playing fraghunt maniac. He SHOULD have to get back to hives to get healed, and find those gorges to get his ass back to field, not to hang in vents to sit around and metabolize.

Devour on the other hand is too hard to balance as they have stated.

One idea that i loved, was the "Tracking dart" we really need marine equivalent tracking technology against hivesight. But MT, would make skulks far too easy to gun down when aiming gets better. Theyr too slow and big compared to ns1. Or somekind of proximity scanning device, that could be triggered by the carrier.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The reason i think metabolize would fit is because even though it is not in the game now, the fades are still running away and just using regenerate to heal. Also, if a Fade gets lit its pretty much over for the beast. Metabolize would be a nice little counter for them as they blinked away at a significant energy cost allowing the marines to actually chase a fade. Devour i just really liked and i wasn't ever in love with charge.

Another idea I toyed with was the option to purchase new goggles from the Protolab. Essentially you could purchase goggles that would either be night vision (changes the flashlight), Thermal vision (similar to alien vision), or motion tracking.